Walther Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is possible the European P99/PPQ pistols don't have that hole in the dovetail for the spring loaded plunger, since they don't need it. Any German Waltherforum members want to check their slides for us?
They got the plunger hole.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My friend received the following email today:

You can buy your Walther pistols from Earl or from Smith and Wesson and you will always receive the same quality as all these pistols are produced by us (Carl Walther, Germany) and have the same quality standard. We have no idea what is going on between Earl and S&W but we have already heard several rumours that Earl is telling lies about the pistols S&W is selling. S&W is our US agent and is buying these pistols from us in Germany. THERE ARE NO US MADE WALTHER WEAPONS (except the stainless models PPK, PP and PPK/S).
S&W is the only importer of the models P22, P99, PPQ and G22. Earl is the importer of the classic models PP, PPK, P5, P88, P88C and P38 as well as spare parts for older German made Walther weapons.
Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH

·
Registered
924 Posts

You can buy your Walther pistols from Earl or from Smith and Wesson and you will always receive the same quality as all these pistols are produced by us (Carl Walther, Germany) and have the same quality standard. We have no idea what is going on between Earl and S&W but we have already heard several rumours that Earl is telling lies about the pistols S&W is selling. S&W is our US agent and is buying these pistols from us in Germany. THERE ARE NO US MADE WALTHER WEAPONS (except the stainless models PPK, PP and PPK/S).
S&W is the only importer of the models P22, P99, PPQ and G22. Earl is the importer of the classic models PP, PPK, P5, P88, P88C and P38 as well as spare parts for older German made Walther weapons.
Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH

I will need to see an official copy of that e-mail before I believe that Walther stated this. I have a hard time believing they worded it as such.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Subject: Re: [Anfrage über carl-walther.de]
Date: January 24, 2012 3:43:58 AM EST
To: (name removed)

Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

I read/scanned through most of these last night. A couple of reported claims by Earl are technically/sort of true. Like when he says that guns made by S&W have stainless slides and a Melonite coating/finish (whichever he said)...that is, technically, true. S&W M&Ps have stainless slides and S&W uses Melonite, which is another brand name of the Tennifer hardening process. He may have been talking about a Walther PPS, but if he implied it was made by S&W, then stated that S&W uses stainless steel in their slides, he wasn't telling a direct lie, but was leading the person to believe unrelated facts applied to the PPS.

Reading some of this stuff leads me to believe that we have an accomplished liar/salesman who is making true statements, but leading the person he's making the statements to believe that they apply to different guns.

If I were lacking in morals and was willing to do anything to make a sale, I could make you believe just about anything I wanted without telling a single direct lie. I could make statements that are true about the competition and true about my products, though none of those statements may be true of the particular model I was selling you. That's why, in many industries, sales people are not highly regarded; they'll say whatever they need to say to make a sale, whether it's strictly true or not.

I know for a while some lawn mower dealers were telling people that the Honda lawn mowers they sold were of much higher quality than the ones sold by Home Depot even though Home Depot has the SAME EXACT model number and warranty.
I know this off topic, but since I have 5 years in the industry and can clarify it, I will :). The correct claim was that the Honda engines on non-Honda brands were different and inferior to the Honda engines on the Honda brand lawn mowers. The claim eventually morphed into the one you mention.

The engine claim is mostly correct. Honda uses their GX Series "commercial grade" engine on their lawn mowers, sold both by dealers and by Home Depot; they will not sell those same engines to other OEM lawn mower manufacturers to put on their lawn mowers. Everyone else gets the GC Series. Most people don't really realize it, but Kohler, Briggs and now Kawasaki have created "consumer" grade engines that are being put on most of the equipment sold at Home Depot, Lowes and Tractor Supply. Independent dealers, of course, also carry this equipment but they also sell higher grade equipment. Usually Tractor Supply will have a unit or two with better engines on them that sell for a couple hundred more than a comparable "consumer" grade unit.

Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH
Excellent! I sent them a couple of inquiries based on things that have come up here recently, so we'll see what I get as a response on the Earl issue. :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I will need to see an official copy of that e-mail before I believe that Walther stated this. I have a hard time believing they worded it as such.
That surprises me also.

Almost always such responses will reiterate company policy, procedures, and clarify facts but such accusations (even saying rumors) are pretty rare to say the least. :eek:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Here's the response I got from Walther Germany...

I sent:
One of your distributors, Earl's Repair Service in Massachusetts, U.S.A. is telling customers that the Walther PPS, PPQ and P99s that he imports are made with different, superior, materials than the same guns imported by Smith and Wesson. I do not believe his claims, but I would like to know, definitively, whether or not this is true.

Thank you!
And received the following reply:

That's absolutely rubbish. S&W has a licence to produce the models PP, PPK and PPK/S in the US and these pistols are marked with "Made in the USA under licence of Carl Walther" so it's clear. All other weapons like the PPQ, P99, etc. are made by Carl Walther GmbH in Germany. According to the US law the first importer must mark the imported weapons with his name. So all PPQ, P99, etc. which were imported by S&W are also marked with Smith & Wesson. Earl is buying these pistols from German wholesalers and his pistols are now marked with his name. It seems that the relationship between Earl and S&W is not too good and so he tries to get an advantage telling you this story.
Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH
Germany
That should resolve the question. Interesting that he's not buying directly from Walther either, which actually makes more sense, as it seemed odd that they would allow or that ATF would allow two importers from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Thank you for that last post jonm61.

It seems like it finally makes sense. Not only was Earl untruthful about there being two quality levels of Walther pistols, he doesn't even get them directly from Walther.

Wow.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Thank you for that last post jonm61.

It seems like it finally makes sense. Not only was Earl untruthful about there being two quality levels of Walther pistols, he doesn't even get them directly from Walther.

Wow.
It would also explain in part why his prices are insanely high.

S&W buys directly from Walther in large quantities I am sure.

Earls buys from a wholesaler (with their markup added) who buy directly from Walther.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It would also explain in part why his prices are insanely high.

S&W buys directly from Walther in large quantities I am sure.

Earls buys from a wholesaler (with their markup added) who buy directly from Walther.
If he is buying from European distributors, then he is dealing with a dollar to euro exchange rate that is terrible at the moment. So not just a quantity issue but also a value of the US dollar abroad issue. The dollar has been way down against the euro for a long time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts