Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy was told that there are significant quality differences between the Walther PPS and PPQ pistols imported by S&W and the German Walther pistols available thru Earl's at substantially greater cost. I was not familiar with this, found nothing in a search, and thought I would ask the question here.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Nope - he is wrong.

You are just paying extra to not have the S&W import mark on them.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Exactly.

Earl has been stating that his Walther pistols were somehow better for many years now, without any specifics on how.

Check the prices of pistols and accessories on his site:

Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page

You can also contact him and ask him personally.

He has a huge selection of hard to find accessories for Walther pistols, and he seems to know his stuff, but until I hear specifics, I don't believe it. I guess he needs to justify his prices somehow.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My guess is that he buys his pistols in lots of tens while S&W gets them in lots of thousands. There could be HUGE different in cost between what each pays.

If there was any difference in quality between what each buys then I would expect different part numbers for each for at least some components.

Has anyone ever called Walther customer service about their PPS/PPS/PPQ and been asked if they had the S&W import stamp on them or not??

IMO it certainly would NOT be in Walthers best interest to produce different levels of quality within the same exact model number.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My friend called to cancel, and Earl now says that there is a different US and International model of each pistol, and that he has the International model, which has different part numbers and parts than the US version (which he says is inferior). Sounds bizarre to me, but Earl tells my friend it is clear on the Walther web site.

Further info -- the Walther web site shows a different part number for the US slide versus the slide on the International model. Earl says that S&W asked Walther to redesign the slide to allow them to sell the pistol at a lower price point, hence the different part numbers for the slides. Earl says there are other part differences as well, although the barrels are identical.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Both (Earls and those imported by S&W) are manufactured, assembled and proofed in the old country. The only difference is that the PPQ/PPS imported by S&W pistols say S&W on them and PPQ/PPS imported by Earls say Earls as the importer. That is it. And Earl is just being Earl...:rolleyes:

Now, it is true that, at least according to his website, Earl has the PPQ Navy. I think it comes with a threaded barrel may maybe some other high speed stuff. I have not seen the PPQ Navy for sale here in the States except through Earls. If he is refering to the Navy as "having different part numbers" he is splitting hairs and I would consider it rather disingenuous. If that is what he is saying.

Having said that, Earl does have some cool, albeit expensive, Walther toys.

R

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've heard of differnt P99 Models that weren't imported to the US like the p99rad(older PPQ) but not differnt versions of the PPQ other than the first edition, which I'm sure if he has any will show the same mistake as the one the rest of the ppqs have

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
and Earl now says that there is a different US and International model of each pistol
I believe there is a "USA version" and an "International version" of the P99, though I'm not sure if those are the labels given by Walther for the pistols. The P99 pistols sold in most countries other than the US (International version?) have the same ambidextrous slide release levers as the PPQ:

http://www.carlwalther.de/index.php?company=walther&lang=EN&content=products&hid=2&uid=1&product=860

International
PS = steel sights with phosphor 3-dot
AM = elongated ambidextrous slide stop
LM = long magazine release

S&W only imports the P99 with the slide release lever on one side. But last I checked, Earl's P99 was the same version as S&W's P99.

There should be no difference in quality between those P99s with single sided slide release levers and ambidextrous slide release levers, and there should be no difference at all between the PPS and PPQ pistols sold anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
As far as the different part numbers for the slide, that may have to do with the different sights used on the American and European pistols.

American P99/PPQ pistols use polymer adjustable sights held on by a spring loaded plunger. I heard the adjustable sights were put on the pistols heading for the US to comply with import laws requiring a certain amount of import points for pistols being imported here.

European P99/PPQ pistols use steel fixed sights held on by a roll pin. (Check the sights in the links in my previous posts on this thread to the German Walther website).

It is possible the European P99/PPQ pistols don't have that hole in the dovetail for the spring loaded plunger, since they don't need it. Any German Waltherforum members want to check their slides for us?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
How can you tell which one you get? Buds said nothing about this
That's the thing. The only person I know of who is convinced there are two versions of Walther pistols, is Earl, who sells his "better" version for hundreds more.

I have yet to see proof that there are two versions of Walther pistols, and I have yet to see proof that one is better than the other, if there are two.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
How can you tell which one you get? Buds said nothing about this
Unless you buy directly from Earl, you get what's imported via S&W.

As far as the PPQ, if you look at the parts diagram that's in the "sticky" section, you'll see that there is a different slide for US vs. Europe, as well as a different slide for the PPQ Navy and the FE. There's also a different striker assembly for the Navy. Everything else is the same.

My guess in the difference between US & Europe slides is simply the import stamp. Walther applies that when the guns are built; the part numbers are an easy way to keep the US S&W marked slides from the plain Europe slides.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Im confused now. Is this about the ppq or the p99 or pps
All of the above. They're all made in Germany by Walther and imported by S&W. Earl swears that the ones he imports (of each model) are somehow "better" than the ones S&W imports. Basically, he's full crap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
"Earl says that S&W asked Walther to redesign the slide to allow them to sell the pistol at a lower price point, hence the different part numbers for the slides. Earl says there are other part differences as well, although the barrels are identical."

Sorry but I call TOTAL BS on this. S&W may have asked, though I even find that very doubtful, Walther but I can not believe that Walther would comply and jeopardize their reputation and the quality, reliability, and durability of the PPQ.

I would LOVE to see the part differences he alleges.

Anyone on the forum friendly with anyone at Walther that could clarify??

I know for a while some lawn mower dealers were telling people that the Honda lawn mowers they sold were of much higher quality than the ones sold by Home Depot even though Home Depot has the SAME EXACT model number and warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was able to get my hands on one of these AM defense kit P99's. When I asked my LGS to order me a P99, they told me there was a model with night sights.($700) So I went with it. I was surprised when it arrived, It had Am slide release. This was a year ago and when i tried to order another they where no longer available. Sad. It also came with S&W graffiti on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts