Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know packing.org has the whole holsters thing, but for some reason I can't login and can't find my old post their on the P99.  So I will ask you all.

Those of you who CCW with the P99, what holster do you use?  I'm looking for an IWB, but I want it to ride low...I don't want to have to change my fashion style too much because the handle sticks out to far.  I know a couple of people said something about it last time I asked, that it sort of carried high, and a few holsters were lower.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Yes I know about the Sidearmor...but I was hoping for something lower price wise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For my P99 I use Smart Carry 90% of the time.
I've CCW for about ten years mostly using a nylon IWB
holster or bellyband before I discovered Smart Carry.
It fits my wardrobe and body type which seem to be two
keys to finding a holster to live with. I wear it so the gun handle sticks a little bit above my waistband. I can get to it quickly standing or sitting. Mostly wear shorts, jeans or warm-ups with untucked shirts. If I have to go business casual, I use a nylon IWB holster and a jacket to cover. IMO Smart Carry is perfect for shorts which I'm in most of the time living in Texas.
I've seen some who dislike the Smart Carry but it works for me.
You might look at Glocktalk.com for more info. on Smart Carry and other holsters. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I use either a size 16 Uncle Mike's in the pants holster which I carry in the small of my back.

or, I wear this:

A Bianchi 7L holster (It's lined). I bought it from Midway USA

They still have 1 left Click this link:

Midway Holster!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shipwreck

I was wondering about doing that with the iwb (at the small of my back). Did you just get the holster opposite your strong hand, for example I'm right handed so get the left handed holster?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tanet @ Oct. 26 2005,19:48)]Shipwreck

I was wondering about doing that with the iwb (at the small of my back). Did you just get the holster opposite your strong hand, for example I'm right handed so get the left handed holster?
I've had it so long (I carried my Glock 26 in it for years before I sold it and switched to the Walther) that I am not sure if it is right or left handed.

I suppose it is right handed, because you could wear it on your right hip and have it clipped to your pants. When in the small of my back, the slide is facing to the right and the mag is pointed to the left. For me, it works best to grip it that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I just thought that it might be hard to get a solid grip on it and pull it out that way, but i guess it would also depend on what the angle of it would be. Something to definetely look into.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You just can not do much better than that Bianchi Model 7 Holster, very functional and comfortable, the dual slots give you two options for cant/tilt, and Bianchi makes beautiful to look at holsters, workmanship is superb on every Bianchi I have. I also personally also happen to like the Bianchi Model 5 in addition to the Model 7, I have three of those, one for my P99, one for my Steyr M9A1 and one for a S&W CS9, they are all great, each ran me around $40. For an inexpensive but excellent quality In the waist band type, I think BagMaster is  one of the best of all of the ballistic nylon type, have two that ran me $20 each, and BagMaster is very quick with shipping out holsters, get them the same week I order by telephone, if you get the belt clip model, you can wear in inside or outside the waistband/belt and you have the option of with or without the thumbreak. I have ended up throwing out every uncle mikes product I ever bought as they do not seem to hold up to daily wear, at least for me (straps break, material unravels, holster loses its shape, maybe their inside the pants ones hold up ok, but the belt loop type I have bought did not hold up), but I have yet to wear out one of the Bagmaster holsters, they seem to hold up great and just not wear out.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have had a SOB holster (something I bought years ago) and now I'd stay away from ever using a SOB holster.  I agree that an OWB SOB holster allows for an easy draw, but that is not the only consideration for choosing a holster.  The main drawback of a SOB holster is that its placement (i.e. having a gun riding on your backbone) can cause a painful injury if you do end up getting knocked back and onto the ground during a confrontation.  It is for this reason that many LE agencies do not want their officers and agents to carry anything in that position, not even handcuffs.  You have to remember when you carry that most armed confrontations are close affairs, so going to the ground prior to being able to draw is a real possibility.

As far as CCW holsters go, it depends on whether you want to go Kydex or leather.  In Kydex, I think Comp-Tac's C.T.A.C. is a decent way to go for an IWB holster.  In leather, you have many options.  The Versa Max II from Milt Sparks is a popular IWB holster.  Neither one is cheap, but they do what they are supposed to do well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Comp-Tac settable cant holster.

Rides nice and tight, adds almost no bulk. Like having the gun ride on the belt all by itself.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Yes, I have heard of that SOB argument for a while. And, I will admit, while in Dallas, I slipped and fell on some ice. On that day, had I been carrying in the small of my back instead of on my side in my leather holster, I would have had to go to the hospital.

There was a leaking fire hydrant that I had complained to the apt complex several times. The water always leaked downhill. On that day, I didn't know that the temp was still below freezing at 10am, and I was walking to the dumpster when I hit the "ice" and slipped.

So, there is something to be said about that. Doesn't always need to be a confrontation to have an accident w/ that kinda carry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 on the Comp-Tac C-TAC holster.

I got one after reading a review on this site. I called the company, and was greeted by the most nice person I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. I got the holster and mag carrier in only 3 days of placing my order. I set the holster up and have never looked back. In fact I love this holster so much, I got one for my Para 1911, and got the exact same service as before.

You can set the ride height and cant of the holster with ease, it holds the firearm firm against your body, and you can slide the holster to any position you like for added comfort. I wore this rig with my full size P99 all summer only using a t-shirt to cover, and if I wanted a little extra protection, I simply threw on a short sleeve button-up shirt that I left unbuttoned, but only would do that on occasion.

A true quality piece that has made me a VERY happy customer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm using a Don Hume NH715 leather lined nylon IWB.

It's ok. It holds the pistol pretty securely. The spring clip is very sturdy.

For about $20 it's definitely a bargin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts