Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of my P99s I have a set of red fiber optic sights. I have noticed that one of the rear optic rods is loose, I think that sooner or later it is going to have to be replaced. So I started looking for optic rods and my question is how do I figure out what size rod I will need. They come in .02/.5mm; .03/.75mm or .04/ 1mm.

I would hate to wait until the rod came off completely and want to buy the replacement now. Any suggestions on how to determine size of optic rod. Someone who has worked with these before could probably tell just by eye-balling the sight but I am not familiar enough with optics to do so....

·
Patron
212 Posts
If the plastic rod is comletely encapsulated in the metal sight the only thing that comes to MY mind would be to get a drill set, preferably number drills, and hold the shank portions of the drills up to the end of the inserts until you found the closest match and go from there.

If any portion of the insert is exposed try vernier calipers??

Those are my best guesses off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
http://kiei.biz/inc/sdetail/570
these are the sights on the P99 right ??
I am no gunsmith nor have I ever seen these sights in person..... but here is my thoughts.....
The fiberoptic is gathering light for you to see in the back of the sight as dot's ?? right ?
I assume that they are closed on the front where they are either pressed into or glued into their "eclosure" (for lack of a better word)
I would get a good glue and see if you can get the loose one out and refix it with a good quality 2 component glue that is heat resistent....
I have a measuring caliper that I got whe I left my old job and if you look on the internet you can find the digital ons for about $25 or less.... it is a good investment and most of the digital ones have both metric and standard setting.......
this would make it easy to find out the diameter of these sights....
honestly I would give the place you got them from a call first and see if there is any warranty on them..... afterall these are Walther sights....the guy is on the rimfire site (not sure on his nick anymore)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If any portion of the insert is exposed try vernier calipers??
Why of course, calipers! I have those that I use for reloading but for some reason I just completely forgot about them...could be old age?

I think these rods are inserted than simply heated on the end to form a bubble end to hold them in...I could do the same or try some glue but with glue I would be afraid that if they ever break then I would have to drill them out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts