Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Walther PP 7.65mm a couple of years ago and have only recently started looking into its history. From searching around these forums, I believe that it's a post-war piece produced between 1972 - 1973 (based on the 42xxxx serial number). It bears the Walther banner and what looks like the E/N proof mark, which makes sense given the markings on the slide that say "Made in W. Germany" and "Ulm". What I haven't been able to find any information about is the "XF" stamp that's on the side of the frame that's opposite the serial number. Does anyone know what that means?

I've attached a couple of pictures. The "XF" stamp is visible under the mag release in the second picture. Also, if any of the information above that I gathered based on my research is inaccurate, please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,660 Posts
West German Police pistols had very specific markings, shields which specified where they were issued.
When they were retired from service that shield was x-ed out.

Someone will be able to make out which area it was issued to, I'm not sure but it might be Hesse.

Could the F be an armorer's mark?

Here is a link with images of police shields, maybe you can determine it for us:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/German_Police_patches

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info! I didn't even notice that there was a marking behind the X. I'll take a closer look and see if I can get a better picture of it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
In my opinion it's a German police surplus, proofed in 1972, Hesse (what I can see), F. could mean Frankfurt (/Main).
Yes. This is it.

It's unusual because Hessen generally did not cross out their police property marks.

The photo provides confirmation by way of an oddity, a PP with the F and crest on the grip, plus a helpful "Pol. Ffm". The pistol also has a DB elsewhere, so at some point was transferred to the investigative service of the German railroad.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
West German Police pistols had very specific markings, shields which specified where they were issued.
When they were retired from service that shield was x-ed out.

Someone will be able to make out which area it was issued to, I'm not sure but it might be Hesse.

Could the F be an armorer's mark?

Here is a link with images of police shields, maybe you can determine it for us:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/German_Police_patches
In my opinion it's a German police surplus, proofed in 1972, Hesse (what I can see), F. could mean Frankfurt (/Main).
Yes. This is it.

It's unusual because Hessen generally did not cross out their police property marks.

The photo provides confirmation by way of an oddity, a PP with the F and crest on the grip, plus a helpful "Pol. Ffm". The pistol also has a DB elsewhere, so at some point was transferred to the investigative service of the German railroad.
Martin is right! Frankfurt police within the federal state of Hessia. Bst wishes, Dieter.
Thanks for all the help! I was finally able to get a better photo (attached) of the stamps and it does in fact look like the Hesse coat of arms. I also just noticed that there's a '72' stamped on the barrel chamber alongside antlers and the E/N. Does the '72' mean that the gun was proofed in 1972, which matches up with the serial number range.

Just curious...what's the difference between the antlers and the E/N and what does it mean when both are on the barrel chamber? The slide only has the E/N, not the antlers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Eagle/N (N = Nitro proof) is the German proof mark, stamped on frame and slide. Antler is the marking of the German proof house (antler = Ulm proof house), 72 = year of proof => 1972.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts