Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have wanted the PPK/s since forever. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on that purchase but I have only one concern. I am seeing on the many YouTube videos that the beavertail causes irritation/bite mark on the thumb-index finger web. This could make the gun unpleasant to shoot. How many of you PPK/s owners have this issue with the gun?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not sure what model/era PPK you’re looking to buy, but the ones built by S&W under license from Walther, or the new built by Walther in the USA have an extended beaver tail to help prevent irritation or slide bite. Some don’t like the extended beaver tail but I’m fine with it. I have a S&W version mainly because I got tired of waiting on Walther to come out with the new one. And as it looks remarkably like the new one, not in a hurry to buy one. I have to agree with Jimbo80 in that the PPK in .380 can be a bit “snappy” but I’ve grown accustomed to it, and it is much better that my Ruger LCP2. As an aside, I try to shoot the LCP before I shoot the PPK which makes the PPK a great gun to shoot. Next I’ll shoot my PPK/S .22 and it feels like you’re shooting air.

I bought mine used at a gun show and it took a couple of trips back to Walther to get it working as expected. BTW the warrant their guns for life, including the older S&W models. Now when I want to shoot flat pieces of paper at the local range with .380 it’s my favorite to shoot.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Good and bad news on that new beavertail. Yes, it makes slide bite much less of an issue. But, for me, the beavertail itself will irritate the very part of the hand you mentioned.

It's doesn't slice me up but it does tenderize that area of the hand little by little. I imagine firing enough rounds would eventually draw blood.

Seems to me to be something that could be easily remedied with a better shaped beavertail.

I'd like to see Walther look at 1911 beavertails for inspiration.

In my opinion, the one thats on there falls short in both looks and functionality.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Moon - several members here reload for the 9x18, and they have described their methods in PP Super threads over the year. Just a FYI if you do decide to (finally) take the plunge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shoot a .380 PPK. I have noticed when others shoot my PPK the issue of the slide cutting the hand and or the hammer biting the flesh of the web of the hand is related to how big the hand of the shooter is. Slender to medium hands have no problems at all. Larger hands have problems as the flesh rides up over the small (Interarms) PPK beavertail and gets bit and or the slide cuts them. A shooting glove can mitigate this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the current production Ft Smith PPK/s and find it comfortable to shoot. The beavertail is about the same size and profile as my CZ-75B.There is no way anyone could get slide bite on their dominant hand with the current production PPK/s. The edges of it are a bit more squared off compared to most handguns, but they are still rounded and not at all sharp. Part of the problem some people have may just be the size of it. This is a tiny handgun, so getting a good grip on it maybe difficult for some people. While slide bite seems virtually impossible on this gun, the snappy recoil could cause issues for those with meaty hands and poor grip. The good news is it's only a 380, so while snappy, the recoil is pretty mild overall and significantly less than any 9mm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got bit once with my S&W PPK-S and just adjusted my grip a little lower, after that I never had an issue. Otherwise there really isn't anything there to irritate your skin

·
Registered
186 Posts
I shoot short-tailed PPKs and a PPK/S and don't get slide bite. I wear large size gloves (work, not shooting gloves) but compared to some other guys. especially those who work with their hands, my hands look a lot smaller. I guess my hands are "large but slender." I don't shoot a lot of .380s and while I note the pressure between my thumb and trigger finger, it's just that: no skin broken, no blood.

I can't afford to shoot 8-9 mags of ammo and don't think I need to. I don't think it's a 50-round-at-a-time gun. I shoot a couple of mags at 7-8 yards to verify my shooting and if that goes well, I'm done. If I sot a lot more I might get soreness; I see the potential, but still no slide bite. If the slide doesn't bite on the first round, I think you're good. If it bites later on down the magazine, it's likely your grip has changed.

My PPs are not tactical guns, they're SD pistols. And fun to shoot!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
As has been stated here ad nauseum, PP slide bite occurs when the pistol is held incorrectly.
Yes, and the phenomenon seems to happen frequently in the US only. In my region we don't call it slide bite or Walther bite but rather "Idiotenabzeichen". Perhaps someone here can translate it more politely than I ever could.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
So I have to tell, that my PPK's has bitten my hand a few times and left an 'idiots emblem', until I've learned to place my small finger correctly.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yes, and the phenomenon seems to happen frequently in the US only. In my region we don't call it slide bite or Walther bite but rather "Idiotenabzeichen". Perhaps someone here can translate it more politely than I ever could.
Well, we could call it idiot scratch, but that's already reserved for the mark left by putting a 1911 back together inexpertly. And there is the Garand thumb, too...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Maybe I've been fortunate. I have a S&W PPK in .380 and I've never had any problems with it. My son got "bit" just once the first time he shot it and after adjusting his grip has never since had a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Interarms (small beavertail) .380acp PPK/S, and I've never had an issue with the slide biting. However, when I first bought the gun (used), it was not completely pleasant to shoot. All .380s tend to be snap-ish to a certain degree, but this was different, and subtle enough that it was hard to pin down. I finally decided that pretty much every edge on the gun was a bit too sharp. Going over the edges very lightly with a jeweler's file made a world of difference -- the edges just "disappeared", and I would now consider the shooting "pleasant". Note that my gun is stainless, and the filing is not at all visible, but on a blued gun you might be looking at a finish touch-up afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I have wanted the PPK/s since forever. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on that purchase but I have only one concern. I am seeing on the many YouTube videos that the beavertail causes irritation/bite mark on the thumb-index finger web. This could make the gun unpleasant to shoot. How many of you PPK/s owners have this issue with the gun?
I think what you’re asking about here may have been misinterpreted by some. The old Walther slide bite has been corrected by the extended beaver tail. I used to own an Interarms version without it and know the difference. What I have noticed is the that the edges of the beaver tail itself as well as the other edges are much sharper on the Ft. Smith PPKs than the Interarms. You’re trading one sharpness for another. Walther should bevel or radius these edges. I’m in the process of finding a ‘smith that can both bevel the edges and re-finish the Melonite. I get pretty well sliced after a training session of 100 rds or more (this is a law enforcement back-up and off-duty carry pistol and I practice with it as such). I’ve started using blister tape to mitigate the issue for now. That said this is an incredibly reliable and accurate pistol that I’m happy to own and carry and highly recommend for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I think what you’re asking about here may have been misinterpreted by some. The old Walther slide bite has been corrected by the extended beaver tail. I used to own an Interarms version without it and know the difference. What I have noticed is the that the edges of the beaver tail itself as well as the other edges are much sharper on the Ft. Smith PPKs than the Interarms. You’re trading one sharpness for another. Walther should bevel or radius these edges. I’m in the process of finding a ‘smith that can both bevel the edges and re-finish the Melonite. I get pretty well sliced after a training session of 100 rds or more (this is a law enforcement back-up and off-duty carry pistol and I practice with it as such). I’ve started using blister tape to mitigate the issue for now. That said this is an incredibly reliable and accurate pistol that I’m happy to own and carry and highly recommend for this purpose.
Kevin, if you find someone that can do that, let me know. I have the same experience with the gun you have.

In general I like dark guns, but if I did it again, I'd get the stainless finished version as it would be easier to deal with stuff like this. Either that or I'd have a better idea on what to look for on the melonite guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have largeish hands and wear an XL or XXL (Mechanix) glove. I recommend getting a PPK or PPKS with the larger beaver tail. I shoot an Indian Arms 380 with the short beaver tail. I have never had a cut from slide bite, but need to modify my two handed grip to stay out of the path of the slide. I often abrade the thumb to index finger web with the slide a bit. I can envision getting bit hard in a fast defensive use with too little time to get an ideal grip. As far as snappy recoil, I just do not feel it. The gun is all steel and has a better grip than any micro polymer 380. It is a blow-back design, however the weight of steel seems to mitigate that. My LCPII with Gripall sleeve is not bad, but is a little snappier than the Indian (similar to PPK). By contrast, my trigger finger would get abraded by the bottom inside of my 9mm G43 trigger guard during recoil until I polished the stipple grain off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had a S&W stainless PPK/S in .380 and the .22. I enjoy both, and have moderately big hands, and have never had slide bite even while holding as high as is comfortable, bore axis to grip position considered. Both are extremely FUN. The .380 is felt more than most mention with the fixed barrel, but the weight allows good control. Very accurate. Extremely historical. Definitely some of the favorites in my collection. I vary between an IWB CCP in 9mm and an Ultra 1911 in .45, depending on seasonal clothing. Good luck with your PPK/S. What a great decision to labor over!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts