Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help regarding my son's new Walther PPQ subcompact. We noticed that when the striker is de-cocked and we check the breech face (i.e. cycling the gun after dry firing or removing the slide) the firing pin is protruding. Is this a part of the gun's design? All of my other guns have spring loaded firing pins that move the firing pin back automatically after pulling the trigger. The firing pin only gets pushed into the cocked position shortly before entering battery after cycling the slide. Thanks in advance. Will post pics if needed.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Not to nitpick, BUT:

#1, the PPQ, P99, P99c, PPS all have strikers, not firing pins, though fundamentally, they have the same fuinction.

#2 The PPQ (and PPQsc) have fully cocked strikers, meaning that when the slide is retracted, the striker is cocked. All the trigger does is to release the striker, note that this is a bit different than say, a Glock, where squeezing the trigger finishes cocking the striker and then releases it. Thus by definition alone the PPQ and Qsc are SAO.

And to note, there's no safe way to decock the PPQsc, you either release the striker by squuezing the trigger, or, you release the striker by squeezing the trigger. There's simply no other way. Note that if you want to field strip a loaded PPQsc, you absolutely MUST drop the mag and then hand cycle the slide to eject the loaded round BEFORE taking the slide off.

It's not the same as a PPS or a P99QA where the striker can be decocked to field strip, and certainly nothing like the P99AS where the decocker button merely puts the gun into double action mode.

Now to the point of your querywith regards to the striker being visible. Mine does this as well. It's due to the design of the action. When the slide has been fully retracted, the striker is fully cocked and will not impact the primer until the trigger is squeezed. If the slide has NOT been retracted fully, the striker has NOT been cocked and thus theoretically, the chamber would also be empty.

I highly advise against hand dropping a round into the chamber and carrying it with the striker uncocked. Not sure that it would ignite the primer if dropped, and in any case, I wouldn't be caught dead carrying an uncocked gun.

Rest assured, your PPQsc isn't broken.

With the mag out, and the chamber empty, rack the slide fully. Let it go. Now, press check it enough to see the breechface and note that your striker isn't visible.
If you then squueze the trigger (again, unloaded), and then retract the slide just enough to see the breexhface, you'll then notice the striker slightly protrudes. This is normal.

Once again, do NOT drop a round into the chamber by hand. ONLY ever retract the slide to load a cartridge as intended.

I don't know if that slight protrusion of the striker would cause it to fire, and I don't want to learn from someone here that found by accident that it could happen ;)

Reactions: Walther Wood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I should simplify things a bit. The striker is not getting reset behind the firing pin block plunger until I cycle the slide and the sear surfaces connect as it is closing. If I dry fire the gun and lock the slide open manually the striker can be seen protruding. I understand that striker fired guns are cocked as the slide is moving forward, but does the striker get locked behind the firing pin block plunger at this point as well, or should the striker lock behind the firing pin block plunger at an earlier point?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
On the PPQsc the striker is cocked at or about a half inch of rearward movement of the slide.

If you lock the slide back on the PPQsc the striker shoul NOT be able to be seen as it is then cocked, I would also add that IF you see the striker protruding from the breechface with the slide fully back something is wrong with your gun.
As for the last part of your question, it's kinda vague and doesn't make much sense. Basically, when the striker is cocked, it's "behind" the FPB. Regardless, unless the trigger (and the dingus on the trigger) is squeezed the striker will not come forward, barring missing or broken parts.

To simplify: drop the mag. Rack the slide and lock it back. The striker shouldn't be visible in the breechface. Mine doesn't. Mine works as intended, indeed, I just came in from a trip to he back 40 with a few guns and the Qsc went bang on each and every one of 250 rounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thunderbird, if you dry fire your gun and lock open the slide without cycling it again, is your striker protruding or is it locked behind the FPB? You can check by moving the sear that is now accessible with the slide locked open.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Thunderbird, if you dry fire your gun and lock open the slide without cycling it again, is your striker protruding or is it locked behind the FPB? You can check by moving the sear that is now accessible with the slide locked open.
No, when I rack the slide on my Qsc, the striker is NOT visible. It shouldn't be.

If you rack the slide, the striker is cocked. IF the striker is cocked, you will not see it protruding from the breech in any way, UNLESS something is broken.

Mine is NOT visible with the slide racked.

On the other hand...if I dry fire the thing and pull the slide back just a wee bit, I can see the striker. If it's been fully racked the striker is cocked and shouldn't be visible. If it is fully racked and you can see the striker, you have what amounts to a paper weight. Does your gun function normally???
If yes, I think you're over thinking this whole damned thing ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts