Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PPK/S has a serial number that ends in S. It is preceded by a six digit number with S stamped on it on the frame. The slide only has the six digit number. I got a chart today from Walther that lists the interarm dates of manufacture and the serial numbers. All begin with a letter then numbers. Is the letter considered the start of the serial number? If so, why is it not shown as such? My serial number is 155xxxS. Not going to post the whole number just the first three. I have attached what Walther sent me , any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
PPK DOB

Members of this forum have compiled a SERIAL NUMBER list from input by other members. Read the stickies at the top of this section. You will find your date range.

Duncan

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
The chart Walther sent you was created by Pilotsteve here on the Forums a number of years ago. We all contributed to it by giving him the serial numbers of our weapons and the dates of our test targets.

Your PPK/S is not an Interarms Ranger series. The suffix letter indicates it is likely a Manurhin PPK/S.

Mine was one of the last Manurhins made with a serial number:264743S

It is hard to see the S with these grips. This was made in 85.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
The stickys all refer to a letter followed by numbers, mine is six digits, then the letter S.
The stickies are talking about a different type of PPK/S.

Like I said your weapon isn't an Interarms Ranger.

Yours is likely made by Manurhin in France. It may have been imported by Interarms.

Letters followed by a number refer to Interarms Rangers Manufactured in the USA.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
As olsoul mentioned, your 'S' postfix w. a six digit serial number refers to a Manurhin resp. Walther/Ulm made gun (made before 1986). If it's a German gun, we can use the proof date to date your gun, at least we need the caliber designation to find out the probably year of made.

Edit: Seems to be chambered in 9mm kurz? My best guess is 1971/72 ;)

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Great!
According to Dieter Marschall's 3rd Edition of Walther Pistols your 9mmK (.380) steel frame PPK/S 155XXXS falls into the Manurhin manufacture range:
Manurhin (1968 - 1985):
SN 134941 - 269008

Page 114 (He also notes the serial numbers will have the suffix "S"

When you post pictures we can give you more info and might even get closer to a "birth date" then late 60s or early 70s...

These weapons are great shooters that are highly accurate and very reliable. While not as fun to shoot as their 7.65 brethren, they are a great weapons with classic lines.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Because I own 154971 chambered in 7,65mm (proofed in 1962), it can only be chambered in 9mm kurz (.380) or .22lr. And I know about 153926, chambered in 9mm kurz, proofed in 1971...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up my new toy today here are pics

I picked up the PPK/S today, spent about an hour cleaning it. What a difference it made! Now I have to reconsider the refinish. It is indeed blued, not painted. It just had grease and dirt all over it, made it look black. It is marked 9mm Kurz, so it is .380. I found the proof mark on the barrel and it is 71. It has ULM/Do. on the left side of the slide, says made in west germany up front. Interarms logo is on right front of slide. So the questions now are 1.) is it Manhurin 2.) was it made in 1971 and 3.) What is the approximate value? I can't wait to get it out to shoot. I thought my Bersa 380 was a close replica until I put them side to side. The PPK/S is quite a bit smaller. If it proves to be functional and reliable I might just carry it. Thanks for all the help. In 2021 This will be 50 years old, hard to believe, it is in really nice shape overall.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
1) Parts made by Manurhin (in the white), gun was made by Walther/Ulm.
2) Proof date is normally also the year of made: 1971
3) As I'm from Germany market is not compareable

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
It was indeed made at the Manurhin plant and it was finished and proofed in Germany at the plant in Ulm around 1971 (the 71 is the date of the proof firing and the staghorn denotes the Ulm proofhouse,).

Does the safety operate properly? It may be the light but there looks like a grove on the slide's safety detent area.

Otherwise it looks very nice. Value is hard to assess but blued PPK/S in good operating condition without the goodies can command between 4 and 5 hundred dollars.

Remember these are worth exactly what you are willing to pay for them or sell them for...:)

And yes if it is reliable it would make a great carry weapon.

My wife still carries the Manurhin PPK/S 9mmk ("The French Kiss" as she calls it) as her primary EDC even though she has other carry options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The groove is a reflection of machine marks, the safety works flawlessly. It seems this pistol has little or no problems cosmetically. (Slight scratch on left side of slide) I have checked it for function without firing, it all works as it should. There is a slight nick on the barrel shroud where the extractor seats, will not affect function. After a one hour clean up, it looks like I got a nice deal. Thanks for dating this, I still have yet to find the sticky that refers to the dating of the Manhurin made PPK/S. When I access some of the links it says 404 not available?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found this as an image on the net

I found this manurhin / walther serial number range chart on the net as a .jpg image. It is shown as existing on this forum, but comes up 404 not found? I have cleaned it up to make it easier to see than the image I found. My question is, why is my PPK/S with serial number 15528??S not shown? The only S suffix serial numbers shown are for .22LR, which mine is not. It is .380acp. Just poking around trying to get a better idea of what I have. The barrel is clearly date proofed from Ulm (antler) with the number 71

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
If you are really interested about your weapon send a private message to Dieter H. Marschall. He is a Forums member and considered one of the worlds foremost experts on Walther pistols.
He has published a number of authoritative books on the subject and if he has time could give you invaluable information.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Yes, it's one of the late Manurhin produced for Interarms. 1985 could be correct.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
My Manurhin PPK/S has a serial number of 264743S and is an 85 so yes I would assume yours to be an 85 too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I have Pachy grips on it now. While I've had no issues with them, I hear the can interfere with the pistol's function. I tried Herrett wooden grips, but the fit was bad and they slid around. I just bought a set of original plastic Walther grips, so I'm going back to original.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found this manurhin / walther serial number range chart on the net as a .jpg image. It is shown as existing on this forum, but comes up 404 not found? I have cleaned it up to make it easier to see than the image I found. My question is, why is my PPK/S with serial number 15528??S not shown? The only S suffix serial numbers shown are for .22LR, which mine is not. It is .380acp. Just poking around trying to get a better idea of what I have. The barrel is clearly date proofed from Ulm (antler) with the number 71

From Dieter Marschall's book:
'The serial numbers of Manurhin and Walther/Ulm made PPK/S pistols are in the Walther PPK serial range, but with the suffix "S".'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts