Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all!

Bottom line, I’m shopping for a PPK or */s, and I’ve come to the opinion that I can land a new production Fort Smith manufacture OR a late 20th, Interarms Virginia manufacture for about the same price.

So price the same, which would you recommend?

Are the new ones as good or better than an older used one of its rated in excellent condition.

Asking about shootability, reliability, fit and finish, all that stuff.

For my purposes, this gun will rolex gun. I.e, not an absolute safe queen, it will come out for range fun and for the rare CCW occasions when I want to feel a little dressier, the type of day when I’m wearing my nicest watch and uncomfortable shoes.

So, if you had the choice, for the exact same money, would you choose the new in the package Ft Smith, or a 70s 80s 90s Interarms Virginia build?

What about of you could land a W German Interarms one? The ones with the star mark over the interarms?

Thanks. (.380 for all. The .32s are few and far between for my price)

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
If you can find a minty Interarms gun at a reasonable price, go for it.

Two caveats; later guns (Smiths and Ft Smiths) may be more reliable with hollowpoints, and both will lack the much-unloved big beavertail.
Moon

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think your scenario is unlikely . . . I recently picked up a used .380 Interarms (PPK) for $525 (no box/lightly used carry piece.) When I walked in the store, they had it tagged at exactly the same price as the new Fort Smith .380 PPK/S pistols. When I started to leave the store, they asked me to make on offer on the Interarms piece. I offered $450 and got it for $525. Weeks later, in another store, I saw another Interarms PPK marked at the same price as a Fort Smith pistol. Seems to be new pricing tactic. However, to pay a new Fort Smith price for an older Interarms .380 PPK, the Interarms piece would have to be mint in the box with all goodies. However, in that scenario I would get the newer Fort Smith pistol because of its warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
I was assuming a minty piece; it may well be that the Ft. Smith production will depress the value of the Interarms guns.
For a consumer right now, so much the better; the Interarms guns are higher in the pecking order, so it should be worth more down the road.
It is my understanding that Walther has been honoring older warranty work, but parts could well be an issue.
Not meaning to argue, DE, but I have a number of Interarms guns, and simply like their classic looks in stainless.
Moon

Reactions: Prairie Fire

·
Registered
592 Posts
H ... M ... C:

I agree, I also like the looks of the stainless Interarms "PP" pistols over the S&W and Fort Smith versions. The newer S&W and Fort Smith pistol do have the same (in my view better) feed ramps which does make them more reliable with hollowpoints. (My S&W .32 PPK is reliable and fun to shoot.)

My concern about Interarms/Ranger warranty is based on what the Walther USA websight says: "This warranty covers Walther centerfire and rimfire firearms, produced after 1993 only and does not apply to antique, limited edition, or custom firearms." I guess if you have a 1994 or later serial number your pistol would be covered and repairable - hopefully. (Which makes me wonder ... if they couldn't repair a still covered Ranger or S&W pistol, would they replace it with a Fort Smith pistol? If that ever happens, I hope we hear about it.)

PS: I did send Walther USA an email asking if my S&W .32 PPK would be covered (should need arise), but have not received an answer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think either 1 is good. I have an Interarms ppk, born in 68. Shoots great including hollow points. the new ones look like great pistols, I havnt shot one though. Get 1 now and get the other at a later date. best of both worlds.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Some don’t like the S&W or the new Fort Smith version due to the extended tang. I have a S&W and find it both comfortable to hold and shoot. If it weren’t for the fact the the FT. Smith version looks exactly the same (to my eye) I’d get one, but I don’t want or need two. There is panache associated with having on older one, built to original specs but I like new(er).

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think either 1 is good. I have an Interarms ppk, born in 68. Shoots great including hollow points. the new ones look like great pistols, I havnt shot one though. Get 1 now and get the other at a later date. best of both worlds.
Sure yours isn't a German or Manurhin PPK IMPORTED by Interarms?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts