Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group! My first post here. I'm a long time Walther P99 owner along with many other quality handguns. I recently aquired a P99C AS 9mm. While 9mm is not my favorite caliber, I've found it to a great and fun round to shoot in my full size P99. I bought the P99c after handling it at a gun shw and quickly recognized that it has the same great ergonomics of it's big brother. What I didn't expect was the increase in felt recoil in 9mm. As I said, I'm not a big 9mm shooter, deferring instead to .40, .45 and some 357SIG, but I've come to appreciate the round a bit more lately. My P99 full size is a snappy 9, but the comact really feels jumpy, particularly with some 124gr +p's, but even with range fodder. The other thing is that while the gun is very handsome, I've found a few things that don't come with the full sized pistol:

-much looser slide to frame fit. It locks nice with a full mag and one in the pipe, but still isn't as lock tight as the P99

-the trigger pin made an attempt to push itself out after about 300 rounds the other day. I pushed it back in with a punch and it does seem to have stayed put after at least 500 more rounds.

-the magazine base plate on the finger extension isn't a real solid fit, contributing to the pistol being jumpy in my hand when firing.

None of these issues are severe, just some general observations. I find my P99 full size to be such a perfect 9mm that I wanted the compact to be the same. My reference point for the compact was my Glock 26. In all reality, and I didn't think this would be the case, the Glock feels better made, recoils quite a bit less, and has greater capacity with the +2 magazines. It also is a smoother pistol for concealed carry with less rough edges.

I like the compact. It's a good little gun, it just doesn't grab me like I was hoping it would. I'm still gonna get a .40

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes...I agree that the finish on the pistol appears that it will scratch easier than the Glock but still looks like a pretty tough finish. The thing about the 99c for me that is the least desirable is the stouter recoil. (I can't believe I'm complaining about recoil from a 9mm, but it is pretty snappy.)

I am a long time SIG Sauer enthusiast and believe them to be of the most accurate handguns made. I can shoot them to point of aim consistently. I'm fairly new to Glocks, adding a G26/27/30 within the last year. I shoot them very well too. I do have to work a little harder, particularly with the G27 to stay within 2" at 12 yards, but all in all they are all straight shooters. I don't shoot them as consistently as I do my SIG's, but I've been shooting the TDA system for so long that isn't surprising. I've found that it isn't a good idea to do too much mixing of trigger types for a range day.

Now snappy aside, that 99c is one accurate handgun. As opposed to you, I feel like I can shoot the gun 200-300 rounds per session, but then I have a thing for compact handguns. It doesn't actually hurt my hand, just tends to wiggle a little, particularly on the first round out a mag. I was at a public range today where the only option is 7 yards behind a bench. I was laying round after round on top of each other all day with this thing. It's damn near as accurate as the P99 full size, and that's saying something.

Good overall gun. I was hoping for great, but it's good. I still prefer the Glock 26 for now.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cladst...yep that's THE grip. I've been using that grip for quite some time now, and while it isn't the best grip for a SIG due to the slide catch being nudged on occasion causing the slide to not lock back after the last round, it's too good of a grip to not learn to work around that little problem. That is exactly how I grip the 99c, and as I said ,all my handguns. I've often tried to tell people who are frustrated with their accuracy or consistency to get past the initial feeling they have after using some other grip, and keep using THE grip if they want to improve rapidly. Most don't seem to want to do that, so I'll leave em to it
I also don't mean to imply that the 99c is harsh or anything close to not controllable! Again...it's a 9mm. It's just no where as smooth as my Glock 26 or SIG P239 9mm. I still like shooting it, and have been carrying it. I still maintain the quality control isn'tthe best I've seen with this pistol and not as good as my full size P99. As far as the trigger pin, mine hasn't seemed to want to work it's way out after giving it a good push back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.