Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating getting a p99 in .40sw for home defense and possibly to carry once i get a ccw permit. Having never shot a p99 before and not really having acess to one before i buy one, i would like like to see what u guys think is better for my purposes QA or AS?

The criteria for my choice would go somewhere along the lines of:
1. Which is safer to carry?
2. Which is easier to take follow up shots with?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

·
Registered
71 Posts
QA all the way...

I have the QA model. I LOVE it. I use it as my main CCW. I keep one in the pipe and use the de-cocker. When i draw, i only have to pull the slide less than an 1/8" and its ready to go. The return on the trigger is a little long but after about 500 rounds it became buttery smooth and very accurate.:)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Not to rehash an old subject, because it's been talked about to infinity - but the decocker on that QA is not meant to take the place of a safety, which is how U are essentially using it.

I've explained tons of scenarios in previous threads about this topic... But if you are going to carry a gun concealed for protection - there are tons and tons of likely scenarios where U will be lucky just to get the gun out of the holster and have time to fire it. It is unrealistic to thing U can do that AND have time to use two hands to cock the slide.

Just my 2 cents...

As for the original question - I carry a P99c A/S all the time. I like the A/S the best - fun SA at the range, and U still get that 1 shot being a little heavier to keep from having an accidental discharge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For the purpose of ccw, I would suggest the AS with a round in the chamber de-cocked into DA mode.

I did have a QA version which I did carry with the chamber empty and the striker/trigger disengauged with the field strip button (notice I did not call it a de-cocker). Although I was accused of it and received a lot of greef here, I did not carry it like skir68 does. As Ship said in a situation your brain is not thinking about only pull back 1/8", just pull it back fully and release. Or just trust yourself and carry your QA ready to go.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
With the right holster and the control of the trigger finger both the P99/QA and the P99/AS are equally safe
The SA tirgger of the P99/AS has a very short reset and makes for easy nice follow up shots

·
Registered
536 Posts
Going to echo the others.

If you're going to carry a QA decocked, you might as well carry with the chamber empty, and then fully rack the slide in the draw. If you rely on the decocker as a safety, then in a moment of stress you're hoping to rack the slide ONLY 1/8" ? Do it less, and it won't cock. Do it more, and you've racked it ... partially... or perhaps ejected the round.

Carry in the chamber cocked, or carry chamber empty and cock it.

thorn

·
Registered
71 Posts
hmmm...

You all have valid points...I practice with my QA in the way that i carry it. I feel comfortable with it. The way you guys maki it sound, maybe I should just leave the gun at home?:(

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
skir68
while I think the QA is more than safe to be carried with one in the tube and cocked, I also belive anything is better than leaving the gun at home :)
If you are comphy the way you carry that is great and if you train that way even better.....

·
Registered
525 Posts
They are equally safe, you will be the limiting safety factor. The AS has a very short trigger reset which I really love for follow up shots. Ymmv.

You all have valid points...I practice with my QA in the way that i carry it. I feel comfortable with it. The way you guys maki it sound, maybe I should just leave the gun at home?
The decocker was intended for takedown, not as a safety device. Personally I don't like the idea of needing 2 hands to operate a gun. Its why people are told to carry their gun chambered and ready to be used. Its up to you, but I would encourage you to be comfortable with using the gun the way it was designed to be used. It might save your life some day when you're using one hand to shove an attacker back.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think that the question really comes down to whether one would carry a six round revolver with six chambered rounds. If the answer is yes, as it would be with just about anyone, then there really is no reason to carry the P99 without a chambered round. To me, when I really look long and hard at it, owning both an AS and AQ, they are both very safe guns, I think equally so, for slightly different reasons. As to the follow-up shot, I think that the QA is underrated in this respect with follow-ups not appreciably longer or harder than with the AS.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Que
I think you might be right with the follow up shots on the P99/QA..... I don't own a QA and I never fired one but many may not look at the fact that the transition from DA to SA is not a easy task for some... or maybe it's more the accurate first shot placement of the DA trigger.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I own both a QA & an AS version of the P99. Personally, if I had the choice to carry just one I'd go with the QA due to the quick trigger pull. I carry only my QA when I use it as a sidearm while deer hunting, the AS is just used for mainly target practice. Many of my friends who are gun owners prefer the trigger of the QA over the AS, saying quick trigger pull is a big plus. I knew this question would come up in the Walther Forums multiple times so I just decided to get both so I wouldn't have any biased opinions on the different trigger variations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My choice

I am so used to the DA/SA trigger on my Beretta 92FS that I chose a P99c with the AS trigger. Some people aren't used to the shorter followup shot trigger pull, and therefor, like the QA trigger better.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've never understood the logic of people who have absolutely no problem carrying a revolver with all cylinders loaded, depending only on the heavier double action trigger pull to save them from ad/nd's yet quake in their boots at the thought of doing the very same thing with a pistol..

It's all about the first round heavier DA trigger pull. Period.

I love both of my P99/AS's... I know for a fact that I have to do something absolutely stupid to overcome the approximately 8+lbs of trigger pull on the first round for the pistol to fire.. It simply cannot fire itself. AFTER that initial 8+ lb. trigger pull I then fire the rest of the rounds single action at approximately 4+lbs..

Learn to keep your index finger off the trigger/striker until you actually are determined you must shoot something.

I know this discussion did not start involving revolver/pistol senarios, but sooner or later someone is going to bring it up, so I just got it out of the way.

I would not be comfortable knowing I had to rack the slide whatever distance it took to cock a "decocked" pistol in a crisis.. No thanks.

I'm almost 65 years old. I've been cc legally for over 40 years, and for many years my cc firearm of choice was a snubby 38cal revolver. I never gave a second thought to the fact that the only safety was the da trigger pull.. Of course that was the safety, that's the way it was designed. I most certainly never carried that sucker cocked.

I think the Walther P99/AS pistol is a fantastic firearm.. I carry either my compact, or full size in a FIST Kydex IWB holster. Uncocked, but with one in the chamber.

In a crisis I have no doubt I can overcome the da trigger pull of the first round, and then I will be comforted in knowing each succeeding round will be SA..

IMO, IMO, carrying a modern DA/SA pistol is as safe as you would want it to be, and unless you are dumb enough to keep a loaded pistol cocked you should never have a problem.

Don't carry a cocked firearm unless it was designed to be safely carried "cocked and locked" as with the Colt 1911 45cal automatic. I never even got comfortable doing that...

Keep your finger off the trigger.

Use a good holster that keeps the trigger covered.

That'll about do it..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
435 Posts
My first P99 was a QA. Did not like the trigger. Way too heavy. I got rid of it but a few months down the road found myself missing it. So I got a P99 AS. I've found the AS to be a better option for me than the QA. If the QA trigger was as nice as the trigger on my S&W M&P 9, I'd have definitely kept the QA!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts