Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i just wanted to see if they work. also, they are a lot shorter than the stock walther cups, so i wanted to see if it helped with the feel of the trigger. i was thinking if there was less contact with the plastic cups, it might feel smoother.
But it MAY do just the opposite. The smaller the contact points, the higher the contact pressure if there is enough of a side load.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
well, out of 100 rounds today the wolff spring gave me 3 FTF's on the first magazine of regular aluminum cased CCI blazer ammo. i re-installed the stocker until i can get my hands on more UMC's---they have no problems for me with the light spring.

........but i seem to have kept the tighter groupings i was getting with the light springs. maybe i just needed some trigger time to get used to the P99.................

·
Registered
147 Posts
Guess its my turn to thank the OP scott for the pictures and thread and uncut for his contribution and the authors of the 2006 thread on this subject
http://www.waltherforums.com/showthread.php?t=2131&highlight=trigger+pull

I bought my P-99AS used from a member here, we both went to the range together to try out the pistol its shot nice at 7 yards for both of us, I then took the P-99AS to a concealled carry training class( LFI ). I shot terrible, I was all over the place, embarrassed is a better word. I was forced to switch to my Glock-17 to quailify with IDPA targets, and pass this intensive 40hr class.

I then hit the search mode here to see if others were experiencing trigger problems or concerns and sure enough I found many posts as referenced above

I decided to follow one posters suggestion and contact Walther USA/S&W
to order two striker springs, it turned out the computer for credit card purchases was down so the gentleman on the phone sent me TWO (2) replacement springs for free, ( I am not a fan of S&W) wow free. I had some time this week and I decided to take my slide apart as pictured at the beginning of this thread. The original factory spring had compressed 2-3 coils in length from previous use/owner, when compared with the new springs.
I read on the 11 page 2006 thread that some guys cut down to the 6th coil, some to the 4th. so I settled for 5th coil and proceeded to cut one of the factory replacement springs at the 5th coil, then reassmbled as indicated.
Now the moment of truth, the range. I took the P-99 with the new striker spring to the range yesterday with a box of reloads and box of factory 9mm not one FTF, FTE, all primers were hit hard and no misfires works fine

I am still not hitting where I want to with this pistol. To prove its not my shooting I took out my sig P-228 9mm and shot flawlessly. I should note a range safety officer shot my P-99AS during my CCW training class this P-99 shot flawlessly its something with me and this pistol, not me and not the pistol I am starting to think its the grip or lightweight

anyway Thank you for helping to showing me how to disassemble the slide and advice on the spring

Sprat

·
Registered
32 Posts
More thanks to the OP

I used the Glock spring. $2.45 at my local armorer.

The difference was astonishing. My P99 QA (in that nice military green) has close to 20000 rounds through it. It was already plenty smooth, but the pull was -- well, you know already if you're reading this. Sure teaches you to squeeze steadily, but -- heavy.

Now? Smooth and easy. Accuracy improved notably. No problem with Federal or Monarch 9mm. 150 rounds, no FTF at all; 100% good.

THANKS A BAZILLION for making my first-born Nine fun to shoot again. It still feels better in my hand than any other gun I've ever owned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
another 150 rds of blazer brass on labor day. no hiccups with the glock 5.5# spring. although my p99 gets a strict diet of speer lawman, win whitebox or blazer brass and rem gold sabers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I just got a Glock spring yesterday and put it in last night. Went out back to the range today. Only had a few rounds to spare (NO ammo in the country) Loved the new feel of the trigger. Cant wait till ammo gets back into the country. Thanks alot.
:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My brother has a P99c QA, and I have a full sized P99 QA (open railed). My trigger seems heavier than his, as I can generally dry fire his one-handed without moving the sights; whereas, I shake the whole gun a little bit after the trigger breaks on mine when dry firing one handed.
Does anyone know if this is just a minor difference between these two specific guns or if the P99c actually has a lighter trigger?
I want to lighten mine, but not by much (.5 to 1 lb probably) as it is my carry gun. Would putting in the wolff extra strength 6lb glock spring lighten it too much to be safe to carry? The heaviness of the trigger is really the only safety on the QA. Is there another mod to make it ever so slightly lighter?
I haven't compared them side by side for accuracy, but I think I tend to be fairly accurate with the P99c, and I'm just average with my full size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I probably have about 200 rounds through it. I don't know how many rounds went through it before I got it though. I dry fire it quite a bit though, trying to get used to the trigger. Do they lighten up as well as smooth out?
Honestly, if I did modify it, it wouldn't be for a while since my other handgun (a CZ) has been jamming and I haven't been out to test it since I replaced a spring. I wouldn't want to be left without a reliable carry option.
I should probably fire it more to see if the trigger is actually an issue or if it's in my head before modding it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
i had the wolff reduced power in my p99 for a few months. it was light as hell, and let me get really familiar with the gun. i started getting a couple of light strikes on the CCI ammo (hard primers from what i've heard) so i put the stock glock spring in. i have kept my groups pretty tight with the stiffer spring. i even threw the stock walther spring back in for a while. my groups did get a hair wider, but not as much as i thought they would.

i'm thinking either i got used to the gun, or the smoother trigger after a few hundred rounds made a difference in the gun's handling.

·
Registered
147 Posts
"i had the wolff reduced power in my p99 for a few months. it was light as hell, and let me get really familiar with the gun. i started getting a couple of light strikes on the CCI ammo (hard primers from what i've heard) so i put the stock glock spring in. i have kept my groups pretty tight with the stiffer spring. i even threw the stock walther spring back in for a while. my groups did get a hair wider, but not as much as i thought they would. "

this is way I followed the advise from the older threads found here and cut replacement factory Walther springs instead of using Glock springs
too each his own

sprat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a SW990L from a gun show for $380 and chose it out of every gun there. I just hated the trigger pull though. I searched the internet for 3 days trying to find ways to change that and it didn't occur to just check the Walther forums. I didn't do any research on this gun before I bought it so I didn't know they were basically a P99. I changed the spring with the 4 lb spring but also bought a 5.5 just to have. I got the springs delivered from Midway in 2 days.
I installed the spring and this is the best handling gun I have ever used now. Hopefully if anyone googles SW990L this post will appear. Great gun. Thanks for this sticky.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have used Wolf and Glock springs...didn't like them....too light.

I simply cut about 5 coils off of striker spring. Works great.

But after usage, I don't see much difference between my "circumsized" P99 and my "uncut" version. ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have used Wolf and Glock springs...didn't like them....too light.

I simply cut about 5 coils off of striker spring. Works great.

But after usage, I don't see much difference between my "circumsized" P99 and my "uncut" version. ;)

did you get any spare stock walther springs? i've been trying to find them online but have had no luck. i guess i'm going to have to call S&W to buy some.......

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
did you get any spare stock walther springs? i've been trying to find them online but have had no luck. i guess i'm going to have to call S&W to buy some.......
Yes. Before I do anything to any firearm, I always try to have a spare factory part or two on hand. I experiment with the factory part and always leave the original "as is."

I ordered one from WaltherAmerica. All is well. :)

41 - 60 of 127 Posts