Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
This is a good stuff, Sc0tt; thanks for posting it. We can always make it a Sticky, if folks indicate an interest.

How 'bout it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
nice post!! i just ordered the stock glock striker spring last night and will be doing this to my QA as well. the pictures are a great tutorial.

what is the initial impression? how much of a difference is felt by the glock striker spring?

·
Registered
186 Posts
How similar are the AS striker springs? I would love a lighter DA pull. Can such a conversion be done with a AS trigger?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice post!! i just ordered the stock glock striker spring last night and will be doing this to my QA as well. the pictures are a great tutorial.

what is the initial impression? how much of a difference is felt by the glock striker spring?

amazing difference. it tightened my groups up a LOT!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I think that it's Sticky-worthy, but we always like to hear from forum members and have them weigh in if they think that the information is not only helpful now but would down the road for others as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is beyond sticky worthy. Every other day there's a thread where people complain about the horrible trigger on the p99, which is otherwise a fantastic gun. You'll hear people reply with, "put in a lighter striker spring" but even after googling it for hours I was unable to find detailed instructions on exactly how to go with the procedure. Something this thread delivered.

It also prevented me from selling my p99 and replacing it with a weapon with a better and lighter trigger pull. I just couldn't deal with the heavy 8 inch pull which was hindering my accuracy when I'm fairly accurate with almost any other handgun.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried out the Wolff spring as well? Is 4 lb. too light?

i have the wolff 4.5 in my gun now. i experienced a couple of light strikes at first, but it seems OK now.

i don't know if this would work on the AS model, as i haven't had the chance to disassemble one. hopefully one day i can add one to my collection :)

.........i also wane to just throw this out there: i wouldn't really suggest this mod if your P99 is your carry weapon, just due to the fact of the 2 light strikes i experienced. god knows that can happen at the worst possible time, and why risk it. my P99 is mainly for range use. i have other weapons for home defense, so this mod doesn't compromise my safety IMHO. that being said, the last 7 or 8 boxes of ammo have worked flawlwssly with NO FTF's.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
.........i also want to just throw this out there: i wouldn't really suggest this mod if your P99 is your carry weapon, just due to the fact of the 2 light strikes i experienced. god knows that can happen at the worst possible time, and why risk it. my P99 is mainly for range use. i have other weapons for home defense, so this mod doesn't compromise my safety IMHO...
ScOtt's last point cannot be overemphasized. The fact that there were ANY light strikes after performing this mod suggests that ignition is now close to the edge of reliability. The reserve of energy isn't there any more to compensate for slight differences in ammunition, lubrication, dirt, even temperature change; any change in conditions that tends to cushion or slow down the striker can potentially produce misfires.

On the range it's no problem, but on the street it could be embarrassing or even disastrous.

M

·
Registered
131 Posts
got the glock 5.5# striker spring today. did the swap which took less than 5 minutes and the pictures made it so easy. testfired with a snap cap afterward and all is well.

the difference is very noticeable from the first pull. the action is smoother, trigger pull is lighter and i can pull the trigger slowly and comfortably anticipate the striker being released.

to all QA owners that complain about the heavy trigger, this simple modification can correct most, if not all, criticism towards it. i will test this at the range soon and check for any light strikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too got a Glock 5.5lb spring and installed it today at the range. Only got to fire about 20 rounds because I had a match tonight and needed to practice with my competition pistol, but the trigger is a definitely smoother and a bit crisper; you can start to tell where the break is going to be compared to the old spring. My groups were a lot tighter. I'll spend an afternoon at the range later this week shooting just the P99 and report back, but just from firing a few rounds, I can already see that this 5 minute (and cheap! $9 shipped from Midway) mod is easily worth it.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts