Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beaten to death repeatedly, but I still need guidance, so...:rolleyes:

OK gosh darn it, can we settle this once and for all??? :D

For those who have actually used one... :confused:

Is the QA "rough, heavy, and gritty"

Or "heavier (or) lighter than an AS DA, but smooth and crisp"

I'm trying to settle on a choice for CC, and have pretty much picked a P99C, just need to decide on the trigger style. I have a P99 AS, and like it, but I'm also a big fan of Sig's DAK and HK's LEM systems...

So now, I want a subcompact for CCW. It would be awesome if it could be a Walther. I'd rather have a DAO style trigger in a Walther package, as long as the trigger itself doesn't suck too bad.

So, for someone who like DAKs and LEMs, is the QA a good choice or what??

·
Registered
24 Posts
There seems to be several schools of thought on this one.

A) It's gritty. Period.
B) It's gritty, but shoot it in and it will be fine.
C) It's gritty, but shoot it in and if it remains gritty then alter the contact points of the pull mechanism. (QA trigger fix)
D) It's fine.

Point being, I don't think you'll get a definitive answer until you yourself have used one for several hundred rounds. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but that's the trend I've noticed.

Best of luck,

Clay

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am pretty sure I saw on an online gun dealer and P99C in a DAO trigger option. It is different than the QA correct? That would be more of what you are looking for and would fit the bill without having to worry about the QA trigger feel. I think it was through impact guns .com if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The DAO trigger is definately different than the QA.

The QA striker is partially cocked, and the DAO is not. QA has a decock button, DAO doesn't. If i remember correctly, the DAO pull is heavier than the QA.

thorn

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really don't consider mine gritty at all. It might have been in the first few hundred rounds, but right now I'd say smooth as butter. Then again I haven't been able to compare it to another p99.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I have a QA and the trigger in not gritty at all.
My recommendation is to get the QA, less to think about in a defensive situation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"heavier (or) lighter than an AS DA, but smooth and crisp"

I think this describes mine pretty well. Once you've broken it in there's no problem with the QA. My brother has the AS and I will admit that the QA is not quite as smooth, but I still like it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone hooked their QA up to a pull scale and seen what the pull is? I'd like to know if it's closer to 8 or closer to 6.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I assume that you have been unable to dry fire one at your local gun shop. That's the best way to tell if it's gritty or not. Some shooters have more "grit" tolerance than others. My QA has no grit, but I think the take up on my AS single action trigger is gritty. These are mass produced guns, so they will vary a little, but I think they are still better than many other brands in the same class, especially in the accuracy department.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am pretty sure I saw on an online gun dealer and P99C in a DAO trigger option. It is different than the QA correct? That would be more of what you are looking for and would fit the bill without having to worry about the QA trigger feel. I think it was through impact guns .com if I remember correctly.
I don't trust any dealer to have any idea what the different models of the P99 are, I had one insisting that the AS model just meant adjustable sights. before I had any gun shipped to me I would ask for the walther part number from the case and be sure its what you really want.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would not describe either of my two AS triggers (P99, SW99 .45) as gritty, nor would I describe my P99C as gritty. All three guns were bought used, so maybe they were initially gritty for someone else.

As to the two trigger systems, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The best thing to do is to at least dry fire the gun that you are considering buying and see if it meets your expectations. If not, try another, but keep in mind that trigger quality will generally improve with use. I have noticed an improvement even with my used guns. Whether that was me adapting to the gun, or the actual pull improving can be questioned, but that is, for the most part, irrelevant.

BTW, if you want to experience gritty try an FN Hi Power with the magazine disconnect still connected. But, even with that trigger, only the take-up is gritty and the actual break is clean and crisp. I find it annoying, and will probably have the disconnect disconnected when the warranty period runs, but I don't find the grittiness to effect accuracy. It just bugs me.

Q

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't trust any dealer to have any idea what the different models of the P99 are, I had one insisting that the AS model just meant adjustable sights. before I had any gun shipped to me I would ask for the walther part number from the case and be sure its what you really want.
I have to agree with this as well. When I was looking I was told by a dealer that all the models were the same but some just had some cosmetic differences.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to agree with this as well. When I was looking I was told by a dealer that all the models were the same but some just had some cosmetic differences.
What my dealer tells me:

You want a Glock. You want a Glock. You want a Glock. You want a Glock.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What my dealer tells me:

You want a Glock. You want a Glock. You want a Glock. You want a Glock.
I've got a Glock 30 and the only reason I have it is that I like to shoot a .45 occasionally. I don't know how long I will keep it although I may just because.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My QA trigger was beyond gritty. The first day I had the weapon, I wanted to take it back.

Fear not, theres a fix for it. :)

Look under the sticky(s) here in the P99 section.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts