Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a Q5 with a new Trijicon SRO red dot?
How's it working out for you and do you like it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does anyone here have a Q5 with a new Trijicon SRO red dot?
How's it working out for you and do you like it?
Ordered one three weeks back and it has been back ordered. Just shipped Friday and I will mount and try later in this week. Will give a report.

Tired eyes need help, Keith

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Big Picture (Trijicon SRO)

Ordered the new Trijicon SRO optic a few weeks back for my Walter Q5 SF. After waiting three weeks as it was on back order it arrived on Monday and I arrived back in town late yesterday.

Late last night I mounted on the SF with no issue, it is much bigger (window) than the other Type 2 Trigicon 1moa in has on my gun and the glass is pushed forward towards the front sight a few mm. The battery is on top of this unit so you don't have to remove the unit from the guy to replace and came shipped and installed with the optic. Everything else is about the same. Easy operation with standard sealed buttons on the side as the Type 2.

I did see a warning that you need to make sure the optic clears the breach window of the gun as this could damage the optic, not an issue on the Q5 as the optic sits .5 inches back.

Sighting in; well this was interesting as my eye sight sucks and I was using this unit like the Type 2. The manual states it's better to use with both eyes open and after an hour or so I came to the conclusion I needed to do this even though that's not how I shot before. After that, and 30 rounds, every thing clicked and wow, just wow. I was shooting 25 yards with about an inch grouping with my bad eyes. A 25 yards one click gives you about .25 inch adjsutment.

I then took it to the plinking stand where we have 6 ea 10 inch metal targets all set-able with a pull rope.

Now the hype on this thing, and they talk like it's better than sliced bread, is all true, wow. You could find a needle in a hay stack in .1 seconds with this thing. I shot with both eyes open, new for me, and the dot just pops out. I purchased the 1 moa unit for accuracy but if you crank up the brightness on this thing a mole could find the target underground a night. Not sure why you would purchase anything less than the 1 moa and just make this thing brighter and let it do all all the work. I was quickly able to pop off 15 targets in a row with the SF.

Now it wasn't cheap and I ordered from Optic Planet, so if you are on a tight budget this might not be in your bag, but if you love new toys, and I do, that are built like a German tank and has the accuracy of a spitting cobra, then this might be just what the Dr. Ordered.

I love it, Old eyes have new life, Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ordered the new Trijicon SRO optic a few weeks back for my Walter Q5 SF. After waiting three weeks as it was on back order it arrived on Monday and I arrived back in town late yesterday.

Late last night I mounted on the SF with no issue, it is much bigger (window) than the other Type 2 Trigicon 1moa in has on my gun and the glass is pushed forward towards the front sight a few mm. The battery is on top of this unit so you don't have to remove the unit from the guy to replace and came shipped and installed with the optic. Everything else is about the same. Easy operation with standard sealed buttons on the side as the Type 2.

I did see a warning that you need to make sure the optic clears the breach window of the gun as this could damage the optic, not an issue on the Q5 as the optic sits .5 inches back.

Sighting in; well this was interesting as my eye sight sucks and I was using this unit like the Type 2. The manual states it's better to use with both eyes open and after an hour or so I came to the conclusion I needed to do this even though that's not how I shot before. After that, and 30 rounds, every thing clicked and wow, just wow. I was shooting 25 yards with about an inch grouping with my bad eyes. A 25 yards one click gives you about .25 inch adjsutment.

I then took it to the plinking stand where we have 6 ea 10 inch metal targets all set-able with a pull rope.

Now the hype on this thing, and they talk like it's better than sliced bread, is all true, wow. You could find a needle in a hay stack in .1 seconds with this thing. I shot with both eyes open, new for me, and the dot just pops out. I purchased the 1 moa unit for accuracy but if you crank up the brightness on this thing a mole could find the target underground a night. Not sure why you would purchase anything less than the 1 moa and just make this thing brighter and let it do all all the work. I was quickly able to pop off 15 targets in a row with the SF.

Now it wasn't cheap and I ordered from Optic Planet, so if you are on a tight budget this might not be in your bag, but if you love new toys, and I do, that are built like a German tank and has the accuracy of a spitting cobra, then this might be just what the Dr. Ordered.

I love it, Old eyes have new life, Keith
I don't know about built like a tank, the sro was doa on the first drop by Aaron cowan. All the other stuff tho yea I want one

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
The reason I say built like a tank, that's comparing the thickness of the retaining ring around the glass to othe types of optics. And, the fact I dropped my SF 4 feet up on the hard ceramic floor with the old type 2 optic and the gun landed optic first and took the total force of the fall. I gasped, and was shocked to see there was no damage, only a smudge on the rim where it hit the floor. I understood then why Trijicon optics are so expensive.

·
Registered
263 Posts
O yea the rmr is built like a tank and designed to take that abuse the sro is not... At all. But I'm more hobby/competition focused than gunfighter/self defense so I don't own an rmr and look forward to purchasing a sro when I can get a good deal on one

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
keithwhite100, I am somewhat surprised you didn't shoot with both eyes open when using the RMR Gen 2. To me that is one of the great advantages of any red dot sight: being able to easily shoot with both eyes open.
Further, while may say the red dot sights are a boon for older eyes, I think they are a boon for ALL eyes. What can be easier then putting the red dot on the target and pulling the trigger?? Not more aligning the front sight with the rear sight, getting equal light on both sides of the front sight, no more wondering about what type of hold and all that goes with it.
Of course the shooter still needs to do their part i.e. grip, trigger control etc., etc.

·
Registered
136 Posts
keithwhite100, I am somewhat surprised you didn't shoot with both eyes open when using the RMR Gen 2. To me that is one of the great advantages of any red dot sight: being able to easily shoot with both eyes open.
Further, while may say the red dot sights are a boon for older eyes, I think they are a boon for ALL eyes. What can be easier then putting the red dot on the target and pulling the trigger?? Not more aligning the front sight with the rear sight, getting equal light on both sides of the front sight, no more wondering about what type of hold and all that goes with it.
Of course the shooter still needs to do their part i.e. grip, trigger control etc., etc.
The reason I've been shooting with one eye is complicated with my condition, I have a stigmatisum which requires two pair of glasses to see both near and far an I have an offset that can't be set in one pair of glasses, i.e. there is no way for me to focus on near and far with the same glasses, long story. So when I took up shooting three years ago I just went with one eye and found that better. My focus can sometimes jump two or three inches on the target, again I have some crap going on with my Graves Disease. That said, I found this new optic is big enough where I feel capable of shooting with both eyes. Careful "You'll shoot your eye out"

Old screwed up eyes, Keith

·
Registered
136 Posts
RIP, Great one

Update, my new Trijicon SRO 1 moa is dead. Yes the tank has died and of all places in my gun bag. After 600 rounds and playing with it in the shop yesterday at 1:00 pm, I placed my gun in the bag working fine, at 7:00 pm that evening I pulled out my gun to mount a new higher front sight and nothing. It was dead as a flat snake on the road. I was thinking NFW the batter is depleted so I whipped out a new battery and replaced it. NOTHING. I measured the voltage of the original battery and a solid 3 volts, checked the replacement battery and agin 3 volts. WOW I was in total shock.

Discussed with the service guy at Trijicon this morning and the old unit is being shipped back now and he said I should receive a replacement soon. Well that was my question, how soon as I had to wait 3 weeks for this unit as it was on back order from Optic Planet. He gave his sincere apology and said soon.

I guess the new love red dot sight is built like a tank but might have a Ford Pinto motor, yes I once owned one and that car was sad. We either have a start-up issue here, new design flaw or something bad going on for a unit to perish in my gun bag wrapped in a silk rag in the upside down position.

Now I have to reinstall, adjust ect ect just to get back where I started. At least I could remove the battery shipped with the unit and install a fresh in short order to verify it wasn't the battery, but little good it did me in the long run.

I will update all on how long it takes to resolve this issue.

I'm bummed out at the moment and some of my air has escaped regarding this optic so I hope Trijicon resolves this issue in short order.

Not so glowing at the moment, Keith

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, my new Trijicon SRO 1 moa is dead. Yes the tank has died and of all places in my gun bag. After 600 rounds and playing with it in the shop yesterday at 1:00 pm, I placed my gun in the bag working fine, at 7:00 pm that evening I pulled out my gun to mount a new higher front sight and nothing. It was dead as a flat snake on the road. I was thinking NFW the batter is depleted so I whipped out a new battery and replaced it. NOTHING. I measured the voltage of the original battery and a solid 3 volts, checked the replacement battery and agin 3 volts. WOW I was in total shock.

Discussed with the service guy at Trijicon this morning and the old unit is being shipped back now and he said I should receive a replacement soon. Well that was my question, how soon as I had to wait 3 weeks for this unit as it was on back order from Optic Planet. He gave his sincere apology and said soon.

I guess the new love red dot sight is built like a tank but might have a Ford Pinto motor, yes I once owned one and that car was sad. We either have a start-up issue here, new design flaw or something bad going on for a unit to perish in my gun bag wrapped in a silk rag in the upside down position.

I'm bummed out at the moment and some of my air has escaped regarding this optic so I hope Trijicon resolves this issue in short order.

WOW! Sounds like this sight is made by SIG (think P-365 or P-320).
I think I'll wait for the bugs to be ironed out. You spared a few of us the same headache. Thank you for posting.

BTW: I'm surprised they didn't tell you not to store it inverted, as all the battery fluid drains away from the internal contacts.

Thanks for posting this report.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

WOW! Sounds like this sight is made by SIG (think P-365 or P-320).
I think I'll wait for the bugs to be ironed out. You spared a few of us the same headache. Thank you for posting.

BTW: I'm surprised they didn't tell you not to store it inverted, as all the battery fluid drains away from the internal contacts. ;)

Thanks for posting this report.

·
Registered
50 Posts
keith, so sorry to hear about the SRO dying. I'm sure Trijicon will make it right.

As far as any negative comments regarding Sig's Romeo1, I have a P226 RX Legion SAO with 10,600 rounds through it and the RDS has never had a hiccup. I replaced the battery just once not because it needed it but rather because I thought it was time.

I have three RDS on various firearms, a Trijicon RMR, a Venom and a Romeo1. For me, the Romeo1 is far and away the better RDS.

Just sayin'!

·
Registered
136 Posts
keith, so sorry to hear about the SRO dying. I'm sure Trijicon will make it right.

As far as any negative comments regarding Sig's Romeo1, I have a P226 RX Legion SAO with 10,600 rounds through it and the RDS has never had a hiccup. I replaced the battery just once not because it needed it but rather because I t thought it was time.

I have three RDS on various firearms, a Trijicon RMR, a Venom and a Romeo1. For me, the Romeo1 is far and away the better RDS.

Just sayin'!
I also have a Romeo optic and its good, I liked the Trijicon type 2 a little better but tit for tat.

The SRO is far better in my opinion. Now, if I
I can get one that works in my gun bag, 😆

Keith

·
Registered
136 Posts
Replacement SRO is on the way

I talked to Trijicon yesterday and they confirmed my optic was dead. He stated either bad electronics or burned out optic? They would post report on what happened. So they put me at the front of the line and a replacement should ship out next week. Looking forward to the replacement as my gun is not complete with something on the top.

Waiting by the mail box, Keith

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I talked to Trijicon yesterday and they confirmed my optic was dead. He stated either bad electronics or burned out optic? They would post report on what happened. So they put me at the front of the line and a replacement should ship out next week. Looking forward to the replacement as my gun is not complete with something on the top.

Disconcerting you experienced a problem like that. Still, Trijicon is a top notch company and I'm sure will work out the kinks.

From most reports, the sight is a step up in shootability. In durability, perhaps not so much.

The technology behind these kinds a sights keeps moving forward and that is good for everyone.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems like anytime a new product is introduced, the first purchasers become "beta testers".
I'll wait a while, until the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My SRO arrived Friday and I’ve put a whopping 150 rounds through it. So far so good.

I had been using a Burris FF3, which was holding up ok, but the SRO is definitely brighter in direct sunlight than the FF and the FF.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Just recevied this update from Trijicon service.

Good Morning Keith,

An order was placed for a replacement SRO 2500001 on 07/09, Our SROs have been on hold, they are supposed to ship out today. You should get it within 3 days as soon as it does ship. Thank you.

Have a great weekend sir,

Kris

Still sitting by my mailbox, Keith

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Keith,

Any update on your SRO? Just curious as I have one on my SF with 300 or so rounds down range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts