Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

In Memoriam
I can probably make any gun "fail" dry firing.

Morning Joe.....from one old fart to another. I've read waaaaay too many post complaining about a failure to return to battery. Some during live fire, which is usually attributed to 'limp wristing'. And others during dry firing....most of these individuals don't seem to understand what's going on 'mechanically' as they ease the slide back to recock the striker and then gently let the slide go. :eek: Hey, it's not returning to battery.....and I think, 'no chit, sherlock'. :D

Registered
Morning Joe.....from one old fart to another. I've read waaaaay too many post complaining about a failure to return to battery. Some during live fire, which is usually attributed to 'limp wristing'. And others during dry firing....most of these individuals don't seem to understand what's going on 'mechanically' as they ease the slide back to recock the striker and then gently let the slide go. :eek: Hey, it's not returning to battery.....and I think, 'no chit, sherlock'. :D
You got it. I'm still a Walther rookie, but pretty old to guns, shooting etc. I think this Q5 is going to keep my CZ's and Glock's in the safe for a while.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

My wife has had a few FTRTB with my Q5 and stock recoil assembly, all were basically a combination of what you said, limp wrist or she wouldnt just let 'er rip when she sling shot'd the reload.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Final update here:

I finally got a chance to run a couple hundred rounds of ammo through the Q5 using the yellow spring and it is fantastic. I had no failures or stoppages and the recoil felt nice and flat. The 1 pound extra of the yellow spring also took away the sloppiness that the white spring had when the weapon was cocked and the slide has no movement during trigger pull.

For anyone considering the sprinco I whole heartedly recommend picking one up, just order all 3 springs at the same time (white, yellow, and red) so that you can tune your setup to your firearm and your loads.

Registered
Just to do a quick update in case anyone else has a similar issue.

After diagnosing it a bit more I realized that the white spring was just a tad too weak and pulling the trigger actually caused the slide to move to the rear out of battery. After talking with Alan @sprinco (great guy btw), he told me that he has actually only seen 1 other Q5 with a similar issue and had me order the yellow spring which is just a touch stronger than the white to cure this up.

TLDR: Alan sorted me out and had me order the yellow spring.
Yup, I was 'the other guy'..... White spring just didn't work on my Q5, about every 10 rounds it would just not return to battery. I put the Yellow spring in and have had no other issues.

I had spoken to Alan and he was surprised as he had not heard of it before. He sent me out a Red and Yellow spring and the Yellow was the ticket. I'm running AngelFire 3 Gun 147 gr (880 fps/134 PF). However, I also had the issue with full power 115 gr factory ammo, which made the think it was the spring and not the ammo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Do you get a red & white spring when you order a Sprinco recoil set up ?
The Q5 recoil management package comes with a white spring, the standard PPQ recoil management package comes with a red.

To get both springs just buy one of the above, then add on either the red or the white spring (its available as an add on at the bottom of the walther list).

I also recommend buying the yellow spring while you're at it, earlier in the thread I linked the number, just add the red or white spring to your cart and in the notes say you want the yellow spring and give them that part number.

Registered
So far I've had good luck using the Sprinco set up. I don't reload so I'm still experimenting with different factory loads . Right now I'm using the white spring while using the Federal Syntech 147 gr 9mm ammo. I got a few boxes of 124gr Syntech 9mm but i haven't been able to test it out with the white spring. I'm not sure if IS'm better off using the red spring for both loads.

Registered
So far I've had good luck using the Sprinco set up. I don't reload so I'm still experimenting with different factory loads . Right now I'm using the white spring while using the Federal Syntech 147 gr 9mm ammo. I got a few boxes of 124gr Syntech 9mm but i haven't been able to test it out with the white spring. I'm not sure if IS'm better off using the red spring for both loads.

Registered
Just for an update: So far I've had pretty good luck using the Sprinco yellow spring set up. No problems after about 300 rds of mostly 147gr ammo & 150gr & 124 gr syntech ammo. Recoil has been very soft and not snappy.

Registered
I've gone back to the full power Sprinco spring on mine, even with the 150gr Syntech--it's just slightly too much oomph for the yellow spring, found I needed the red spring to reliably return to battery.

Registered
I've gone back to the full power Sprinco spring on mine, even with the 150gr Syntech--it's just slightly too much oomph for the yellow spring, found I needed the red spring to reliably return to battery.
I haven't tried the red spring yet. Only the white & yellow spring. While using the red , did you find that the gun shot snappier as opposed to the yellow ?

Registered
I haven't tried the red spring yet. Only the white & yellow spring. While using the red , did you find that the gun shot snappier as opposed to the yellow ?
If anything it "snaps closed" more quickly after the shot--kind of dips a bit if that makes sense since the slide hurries forward. My reason for running the yellow spring originally is that's the recommended one for lower pf rounds, but out of my 5" barrel the 150gr Syntech is making around 135pf so it's really more of a red spring load. There's also a note on the Sprinco site now about how picky the PPQ and clones are about ammo velocity and it's borne out in my experience, I had lots of failures to return to battery with the yellow spring.

Registered
If anything it "snaps closed" more quickly after the shot--kind of dips a bit if that makes sense since the slide hurries forward. My reason for running the yellow spring originally is that's the recommended one for lower pf rounds, but out of my 5" barrel the 150gr Syntech is making around 135pf so it's really more of a red spring load. There's also a note on the Sprinco site now about how picky the PPQ and clones are about ammo velocity and it's borne out in my experience, I had lots of failures to return to battery with the yellow spring.
If I start having problems with the yellow spring ,I'll try using the red spring. Thanks for the info.

Registered
I'm trying to find the right sweet spot to set up the my PPQ Match to use for bullseye matches. I've been experimenting with different factory ammo too since i don't reload.

Registered
I'm trying to find the right sweet spot to set up the my PPQ Match to use for bullseye matches. I've been experimenting with different factory ammo too since i don't reload.
Federal 150gr Syntech was marginal for me on the lighter springs (sometimes I would get failures to return to battery) but it runs well on the standard power red spring. That's out of my 5-inch though so a 4-inch would do better on the lighter springs--lower muzzle velocity thank to losing the inch of barrel.

Registered
Federal 150gr Syntech was marginal for me on the lighter springs (sometimes I would get failures to return to battery) but it runs well on the standard power red spring. That's out of my 5-inch though so a 4-inch would do better on the lighter springs--lower muzzle velocity thank to losing the inch of barrel.
I just installed the Sprinco red spring in my PPQ Match Pistol and I noticed a big difference while dry firing the pistol compared to the yellow spring. Maybe next week I'll have so time to test the red spring during live fire. I've only used the white & yellow springs so far. I'll test it out using some syntech 150 & super -vel fmj 147 gr.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts