Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Q5 and after about 300 rounds I added a sprinco RSA mostly because I'm a tinkerer.

I went to the range last night and started with the white spring and had a lot of failures to go in to battery, and by a lot i'm talking about 2-3 per mag. Then i switched to the red spring and it dropped me down to 1 per mag, but I also had some FTE's. Finally after about 100 rounds I gave up, threw the stock spring and rod in and had another 100 flawless rounds.

My question is, is this an experience other folks have had? Could it be my ammo choice (115 grain AE) or maybe the gun just isnt broken in enough?

I will say I much prefered the recoil profile with the SprinCo white spring as it felt significantly less snappy than stock and marginally less snappy than the red, but I also dont want to have to check and bump the slide every 3-4 rounds.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I know it is a Q5, but I'll still ask, what are you using the pistol for?

If it is competition, and the recoil impulse felt that much better to you, you may want to keep tinkering with it. I've heard from others on this forum that there is a break-in process for these recoil reduction guide rods.

If it is a defensive pistol, there is no way I would trust any of these recoil reduction guide rods, due mostly to first hand experiences with these, and reports of failures like yours. Even when broken in, I doubt they would be as reliable as the standard spring with weak ammunition, an awkward grip, or an awkward shooting position, which are likely in a defensive encounter.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
bleda if you are having issues I'd suggest you call Alan at SprinCo directly. He is a great guy and he will be more than willing to resolve your issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I currently dont reload, I just have a ton of 115 AE for the range after the rebate. I'll step up to 124/148 which is what i prefer anyways and maybe just use the stock spring to shoot the case of 115 I have if it doesnt break in.

My primary defensive weapon is a beretta 96g with an extended magazine. I use the Q5 for both range/competition and as my backup defensive weapon. I actually agree with you that I dont trust any of the recoil reducers for defensive use so I always switch back to the stock rod/spring once I clean and lube it after the range.

I really did like the feel of the sprinco, i wouldnt say so much that it reduces recoil as it just changes the profile of it if that makes sense. I'll keep tickering with it and maybe just try to put a few hundred more rounds through with it to see if it breaks in. If that doesnt work I'll be sure to contact Alan as you mentioned olsoul and see if he can get me straight.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Q5 with the Sprinco using the white spring. I have had not issues with mine. I use ProMatch 124 g, which is a minor PF load. And that is what the white spring is designed for (mino PF that is). My daughter shoots it also and loves it.

I would suggest call Alan, then clean and lube, clean and lube, and then shoot something heavier for a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
bleda if you are having issues I'd suggest you call Alan at SprinCo directly. He is a great guy and he will be more than willing to resolve your issue.
This. He is very very quick to respond.

Here is my case. I shot approx. 200 rounds of Fiocchi 115 gr factory ammo with the factory RS to 'test the gun". I alway do this to warranty purpose.
Then I installed the Sprinco RS with the white 1st stage spring and my reload (147 gr, PF = 135-ish). Not a single problem with 600-ish rounds at USPSA Carry Optics local matches. Then I replaced the white spring with the yellow which is slightly stronger and shot 200-ish rounds of my reload. Not a single problem. I have had one problem but it was due to a dirty mag.

As OldFart and others might say, grip the gun hard and try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to do a quick update in case anyone else has a similar issue.

After diagnosing it a bit more I realized that the white spring was just a tad too weak and pulling the trigger actually caused the slide to move to the rear out of battery. After talking with Alan @sprinco (great guy btw), he told me that he has actually only seen 1 other Q5 with a similar issue and had me order the yellow spring which is just a touch stronger than the white to cure this up.

TLDR: Alan sorted me out and had me order the yellow spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just to do a quick update in case anyone else has a similar issue.

After diagnosing it a bit more I realized that the white spring was just a tad too weak and pulling the trigger actually caused the slide to move to the rear out of battery. After talking with Alan @sprinco (great guy btw), he told me that he has actually only seen 1 other Q5 with a similar issue and had me order the yellow spring which is just a touch stronger than the white to cure this up.

TLDR: Alan sorted me out and had me order the yellow spring.
Exactly what I did. I may try the white after the gun has loosened up a bit more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For bullseye competitions, hand made and light ammo is used along with crafting a lighter trigger "pull" and a lighter recoil spring. Do not know of any bullseye competitor using factory ammo other than some from Atlanta Arms.
However, it seems that you are fixed on factory ammo and have done a good job of fitting recoil spring in your Q5 to the ammo you are going to use.
Others have reported that their Q5 was tight and needed rather more effort to break-in.

[Not as tight as a new (I stress, new) Kimber out of the box that no one could rack without a LOT of effort.]

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Exactly what I did. I may try the white after the gun has loosened up a bit more.
If pulling the trigger causes the slide to move out of battery, letting the gun loosen up will only make the issue worse.

I suggest you never use that spring again. The only thing I can think of that would cause the slide to move to the rear when pulling the trigger, would be the trigger bar camming the firing pin block. That is the only part of the trigger mechanism that could put any rearward pressure on the slide. If that's the cause, then that recoil spring is EXTREMELY weak, and definitely should not be trusted.

Whatever you decide on, please test the pistol thoroughly afterwards. Especially if this is going to play a role as a defensive pistol in any way. I would try different grip strengths, different angles, different loads, different temperatures, weak hand, strong hand, etc. I hear of more reports of issues with these recoil reduction systems than I do the stock setups, which says a lot to me, being that all pistols come with the stock spring, whereas only a tiny amount of people purchase these aftermarket recoil reducers.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If pulling the trigger causes the slide to move out of battery, letting the gun loosen up will only make the issue worse.
I can confirm on mine its the trigger bar on the FPB causing the rearward motion and the spring didnt have enough tention to push the slide back the tiny bit needed to be fully in battery.

I havent had issues with the Red spring or the stock (once I lubed up the rails appropriately) so while I definitely would say keep it stock if this is purely defensive, for range/comp the RMS with Red seems to work well.

Once I get the yelllow spring I will update with what i've found.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I suggest you never use that spring again. The only thing I can think of that would cause the slide to move to the rear when pulling the trigger, would be the trigger bar camming the firing pin block. That is the only part of the trigger mechanism that could put any rearward pressure on the slide. If that's the cause, then that recoil spring is EXTREMELY weak, and definitely should not be trusted.

Whatever you decide on, please test the pistol thoroughly afterwards. Especially if this is going to play a role as a defensive pistol in any way. I would try different grip strengths, different angles, different loads, different temperatures, weak hand, strong hand, etc. I hear of more reports of issues with these recoil reduction systems than I do the stock setups, which says a lot to me, being that all pistols come with the stock spring, whereas only a tiny amount of people purchase these aftermarket recoil reducers.

This is for a competition ONLY gun using light loads. I only use stock springs for defensive guns. The condition I described is because the stock striker spring is overpowering the recoil spring. See it a lot when "balancing" springs for competition Glocks, M&P's etc.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
The condition I described is because the stock striker spring is overpowering the recoil spring.
I think we are both describing the same thing.

The aftermarket recoil spring is much too light if the stock striker spring is overpowering it. The striker spring puts rearward pressure on the slide when the striker is cocked. The recoil spring plays more of an important role in regards to function and reliability on a striker fired pistol compared to a hammer fired pistol, because the recoil spring on a striker fired pistol also keeps the slide from moving out of battery when the striker is cocked. This is another reason why I recommend not messing with it.

My suggestions are aimed more towards defensive pistols though. On competition or range pistols, it isn't really that big of a concern. Hopefully it gets worked out, and please update this thread when more information is available.

It is a little strange to me that there is a spring available for use on the recoil reduction system that is that light though. So light, that a trigger pull brings the slide out of battery. Whether it is a 4" or 5" PPQ, the striker spring should be the same weight. If this is the case, then I would think that the spring is pretty far out of spec, or someone made a miscalculation on how heavy that recoil spring should be.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I tend to think that Alan at Sprinco has the spring specifications sorted out and has speced the correct spring for the intended use. I think the situation here is either a manufacturing error in the spring spec, or an undiagnosed issue with the gun itself.

I can say my Q5 with the white Sprinco has been flawless.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I tend to think that Alan at Sprinco has the spring specifications sorted out and has speced the correct spring for the intended use. I think the situation here is either a manufacturing error in the spring spec, or an undiagnosed issue with the gun itself.
I'm not sure. Going by the OP's first post, there were about 2-3 issues per mag with the white spring, and about 1 issue per mag with the red spring.

There were no issues with the factory recoil spring assembly.

It could be an issue with both the white and red springs. It could also be an issue with the other springs in the recoil reduction guide rod. But until there are issues with the pistol in the stock configuration, I'm hesitant to put blame on the factory parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The white spring is the lightest, the red spring is around "stock" weight.

I will say that I shot the red-spring again and perhaps the gun loosened up or perhaps I lubed some critical area (or combination) and had no issues over 200 rounds (same American Eagle 115gr as before).

My yellow spring should get here next week and once I get back from my business trip I should be able to give it a try.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think Alan said the yellow was about a pound heavier than the white. It was enough to return my slide to battery while dry firing. FWIW, I never had a problem with the white spring during live fire only while dry firing. I have a friend who has over 3000 rds through his w/ white spring with no problems. I only use the Sprinco system to reduce muzzle flip and to function with my "bunny fart" loads for competition only.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts