Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A a local USPSA match today, another guy was shooting with a Q5 and he told that he had installed a Sprinco trigger spring kit on it. We went to a safe table and he let me handle his Q5. Holy Smokes. It felt like a 1lb trigger!!

BUT I had a hard time disengaging the trigger safety. I have read about it and my understanding is that since the tigger return spring is lighter, the trigger tends to move rearward before the safety is depressed and clear the stop. Maybe my finger was not reaching the safety enough to depress it first but I got small hands and short fingers.

Is there any remedy to this issue, mechanically speaking? Or I just need to learn how to place my trigger finger on the safety correctly? I really liked the tigger with the Sprinco kit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Hello Jaep. Another forum member did the initial research on the TRS and came up with the reduced power spring. I did the research on the FPB springs and identified a spring that compliments the reduced power TRS spring.

During the testing of many different springs and combos, the problem you're having was identified. Once you get the spring combo down to somewhere below 3 lbs., it becomes imperative to place the pad of your finger squarely on the trigger shoe. And in your situation (small hands and short fingers) you're going to have to concentrate on that finger placement.

One thing I'd ask is, did the owner of the Q5 have the same issue you're describing? I'm thinking not. Which again, goes back to proper finger placement.

I have the Sprinco kit as well. Its an excellent kit and performs as advertised.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks OF. He has massive hands and said it was not an issue for him.

I guess that I have to dry fire a lot again to get the proper finger placement. It might be a good idea to wait until a next major match is done in two weeks from this weekend. I shall not mess up with my gun now lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just received a kit. I have Area 8 championship next week so I had thought that I should wait until its done but I also have a local match tomorrow so installed it to test it out. I can always change it back to the factory if needed.

I do not have a fancy trigger gauge but my trigger pull has gone from just under 4lbs to just under 3lbs. Very close to the Tanfoglio that I used to shoot with. Very happy.

No issue with the trigger safety :) Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where does one FIND this trigger spring kit???

Their website, Brownells, google... nada. Just a million hits on their recoil spring system. I’m already running a custom guide rod and a 13lb spring. I’m set, there!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just came back from USPSA Area 8. Well, the stuff happened. In the middle of a stage, after reloading, the gun did not let me pull the trigger. Under the timer and after a long day, I thought that the gun was having a FTF, so I racked the slide to no avail.

My trigger finger placement was not correct. I was puling the trigger without depressing the trigger safety.

Ouch! but this spring really teaches a proper trigger finger placement. I need to be very mindful especially after shifting the gun in the hand for reloading (I got a short trigger finger).

Need more practice :)

PS: this trigger spring kit is awesome. My hits were A LOT better with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts