Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member but have followed several threads for awhile on here. So I have decided to purchase a new walther and narrowed it down to the 5" ppq m2. However, I am currently trying to decide whether the Q5 match is worth the extra ~$250 over the 5" m2? I understand the Q5 comes optic ready with 3 plates as well as a 3rd magazine. But besides the plates and mag, what does it offer that the regular 5" ppq doesn't? Basically, I'm trying to justify whether or not to buy the Q5 over the 5" m2. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
I have some of each. As far as accuracy, I can't tell any difference.....both variations will punch 1" holes at 30'. The trigger......we'll, as far as I can tell they're both the same, other than the Q5 being blue.

The REAL question is: Do you want to run an optic? If yes, then but the Q5.....if not, then buy the regular ole M2.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Imaoldfart is right on, with one added benefit to the Q5: It has fully adjustable sights, which I found to be a big help in tuning the gun with different brands and weights of ammo. I have mine bench-rested dead on at 25 yards, with AE 124. When shooting IDPA and taking a 20 yard shot (or sometimes more), it can mean the difference in points down, to stay within the perforation.
115 grain Fiocchi and 147 grain AE can vary by 2 inches at that distance.

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
Good point. And with that said.....I guess I/we could also clarify that the Q5 match comes with a unique rear sight and dovetail. Meaning if someone wanted to use a different (aftermarket) rear sight, they're SOL.

That's from memory......correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
On October 1st of this year I watched my instructor as he first took a PPQ 45 out of the box and fired approx. 15 rounds at 75' followed immediately by taking a Q5 with optics out of the box and repeated the process. It was Walther Day at the club so they provided everything. When he completed the unscientific 2 rounds and we looked at both targets he said 2 things that I felt were important. Both are great pistols and the trigger on the PPQ is better. The group with the PPQ was approx. 5-6 inches.....the Q5 not as good....most were low. He wasn't sure why but decided the factory setting could have been off a bit.

Now, I like 45's and after further examination of the PPQ decided to buy it....that same day! All of this intended to support what "oldfart" stated.....do you want the optics and will you practice enough with them to become proficient?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I did a 25 yard bench-rest test of my Q5, when I had the FF3 on it and consistently shot 1.5 inch groups and even 1 inch groups. Could have been a bad gun or just a bad moment for the shooter.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I own both. The Q5 has adjustable sights and the ability for a red dot. That's it. Both shoot equally well. In fact, the Q5 isn't any more accurate than any of my standard PPQ's. I would say get the Q5 is you have any notion of someday using a red dot. If not, then save the money.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have two 4" PPQs and bought a Q5 a few months ago after considering the standard 5" PPQ for awhile. My take so far:

I can tell no difference in trigger pull between the three Qs, none at all. If the blue Q5 trigger is supposed to be better it is too subtle for me to tell. The Q5 trigger is completely grit free as are my other two PPQs. Others have reported gritty triggers on some Q5s but mine is PPQ perfect.

I don't like the plastic sights on PPQs or P99s so they get replaced with something else, usually to the tune of 100 to 140 dollars. The Q5 requires no sight change for me.

I really like the adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front sight on the Q5, better even expected that I would.

Given a preference, I would prefer the trigger of the Q5 to be black, but the blue one isn't terrible.

Looks-wise the Q5 wins the "best looking polymer striker fired handgun" award for me. Other than the blue trigger it is just a cool looking handgun.

I made the right choice. For me. Others may prefer the regular 5" and they would be correct also.

Can't go wrong with a PPQ, regardless of the version.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had too much trouble acquiring targets, while on the move with my Q5 Match, shooting a non-sanctioned type of IDPA, so I removed my FF3 optic and went back to the rear iron sight. At my age, it's slightly blurry, so I installed these little stick on glow dots and it's now like a set of fiber optics in the rear, as well as the one in the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quick feedback and responses! This is exactly what I was looking to help make a decision. I definitely agree the cut-outs on the Q5 add aesthetic appeal over the standard ppq but if the trigger isn't actually an improvement than I think I may just end up getting a standard 5". Then I can put the extra cash saved towards front and rear FO sights as mentioned above and maybe the flat apex trigger. Though I know several ppq owners have argued that the stock trigger is so nice out of the box that it doesn't need to be replaced with the apex.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 5" M2 and have shot my friend's Q5 both with the OEM sights and with a Red Dot. I don't find one gun to be more accurate than the other. The OEM sights on the M2 suck, and I replaced mine with Dawson Fiber Optics front and Charger rear. The biggest difference is the trigger. The M2 probably has the best out of the box trigger of any gun other than a 1911/2011. There is a fair amount of take-up but the trigger is fairly constant with a very light pull and amazing reset. The Q5 has almost no take-up but I perceive it to be a much harder pull. So, it really comes down to what you like better. I like the lighter pull of my M2.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have two 4" PPQs and bought a Q5 a few months ago after considering the standard 5" PPQ for awhile. My take so far:

I can tell no difference in trigger pull between the three Qs, none at all. If the blue Q5 trigger is supposed to be better it is too subtle for me to tell. The Q5 trigger is completely grit free as are my other two PPQs. Others have reported gritty triggers on some Q5s but mine is PPQ perfect.

I don't like the plastic sights on PPQs or P99s so they get replaced with something else, usually to the tune of 100 to 140 dollars. The Q5 requires no sight change for me.

I really like the adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front sight on the Q5, better even expected that I would.

Given a preference, I would prefer the trigger of the Q5 to be black, but the blue one isn't terrible.

Looks-wise the Q5 wins the "best looking polymer striker fired handgun" award for me. Other than the blue trigger it is just a cool looking handgun.

I made the right choice. For me. Others may prefer the regular 5" and they would be correct also.

Can't go wrong with a PPQ, regardless of the version.

I have a question. Isn't the recoil on the Q5 Match slightly less because it is a little heavier and the cutouts on slide should make less recoil? But thanks for sharing because I was going to buy the Q5 but now realize my Standard M2 will do fine.

I just recently bought the Sig P320 X5 Legion and have only shot it out to 21ft so far very good. Not sure it will shoot as nice as my PPQ at longer distances but will see

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if I will get a reply, but I have a Q5 match and love it. Tricked it out a bit (apex trigger and magwell) so it has to run the open division in ipsc. If i bought a used ppq m2, could I use my Q5 mags and slide with attached optic without issues, or am I just dreaming? My hope is to be able to use it for production optics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an M2 with approx 5,000 rounds and a new Q5. I use the M2 and Q5 factory mags on both guns. I also run the Q5 slide/upper on my M2 because the M2’s trigger (lower) has a defined wall with a clear break.
Btw, I wrote to Walther about the Q5’s trigger and called their tech in Canada 4 weeks ago and have not received a reply from anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts