Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Good shooting! What were you using for ammo?

I remember you were searching for an accuracy load. What did you settle on??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know I'm not supposed to covet, but I covet your shooting skills. How much shooting did it take you to become a shooter with covetable shooting skills?

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Sweet...Slow shooting? Rapid? More details please on stance drawstroke and so on...

One way or the other that is a target I'd be proud of too.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was at league last night and was shooting my modified Ruger MK3 light. We were goofing off and I got the Q out and challenged one of the other shooters to a friendly match. This is one of the league targets we shoot as part of our course.

I shot in 5 round strings...probably 10 seconds each.

I was shooting from my random bucket of ammo. Loose ammo of only what God knows. Probably mostly AE 115. There is lose 38, 45, .22 and even 5.56 rounds in the bucket. I was scraping the bottom looking for round 19 and 20 and almost had to borrow one.

Just goes to show ya....shooting relaxed....but with good technique and you can get results.

A few things that I do and I know most of you guys know this this.

- Squeeze Trigger. Don’t pump it. Squeeze, hold trigger, and follow through on your shots. THEN...and only then, release the trigger until it resets.

- Hold your breath. I held my breath on all 5 rounds. One hold.....5 shots. That’s not normally recommended but holding breath on a exhail is.

- make sure as much skin is on the gun as possible. I use two thumbs forward grip and I grip over the trigger guard. That’s not for everyone....but it’s what I do.

- lock wrists.....

- when pulling trigger, it should be a surprise that it goes off. This will help reduce flinch. Very important.

- grip gun as high as possible....firmly up into the web of your hand. The barrel should make a straight line down your arm to your elbow and then to your shoulder. One straight line!

- Elbows straight, locked and not bent. That’s the technique that I use.

As to ammo.....I do believe that 147 makes the best groups. And my favorite ammo is from Fenix. Best ammo at the best price. I generally by their match ammo. $15 a box but you can find 10% coupons. And they have bulk pricing.

But I will shoot anything.

I also think that with this gun, it’s not ammo picky and most shooters won’t notice any difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great shooting free handed!!. I put my Q5SF in a pistol vise so to take human error out of the equation and at 25 yrds ,5 shot groups were under 1 1/4 inches. This was consistently done with the 150 gr federal syntec red bullets. Impressed with factory ammo.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@waterdr, thank you sir for sharing the skills. Do you keep shooting hand a little looser than the supporting hand?
Most people keep their support hand too loose. You want to relax the strong hand if you can to allow your index finger to move on its own easily. You can’t do this if you allow the support hand to do its job.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can’t do this if you allow the support hand to do its job.
I am not sure I understand this last sentence. Could you please elaborate?
You can’t allow a lighter grip with strong hand unless the support hand is well....supporting.

9 out of 10 shooters I see at the range use what I call the “dangling support hand”. You can actually see the support hand coming off the gun.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a lady Monday night for two hours of basic hand fundamentals. 1:1.

I take the student trough the entire process. Everything. All the basics, ammo, hand gun selection, operation....90 mins of classroom and 30 mins of actual shooting.

She has never fired a gun let alone touched one.

I use airsoft guns in the classroom and she was afraid if those at first.

She only shot at silhouette targets at 15 ft. But was able to hit center of mass on every round. She fired a PPQ, a Model 60 and a Ruger SR22. Those are generally the guns I use.

Small woman...Japanese. Was able to load every mag, rack every slide and fire every gun.

While she needs a lot more work, her form is already better than most people I see.

I had her using the high grip too....support hand over the trigger guard because she is a smaller lady. She liked that the best.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great to have a good instructor at the first time. It’s hard to change when bad habit forms. I didn’t know to double up hearing protection (foam plugs and muffs) for my my wife, now she refuses to go to range.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Damn good shooting.
Of course the Bullseye 1911 snobs are scoffing about "what can it do at 50yd".
And that it's not the 45 version...

Know of any good adjustable rear sights and serrated/black front sights for the PPQ? I'm really leaning towards getting the PPQ45 and seeing how it can perform.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Damn good shooting.
Of course the Bullseye 1911 snobs are scoffing about "what can it do at 50yd".
And that it's not the 45 version...

Know of any good adjustable rear sights and serrated/black front sights for the PPQ? I'm really leaning towards getting the PPQ45 and seeing how it can perform.
Plus the 1911 bullseye guys will do that one handed.

Still, that is darn nice shooting by Water, irregardless of handgun type.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts