Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive decided to give Carry Optics in USPSA a try this year after running Limited for a couple of years. Picked the Q5 Match Steel Frame as my platform. Have made a couple of changes that were vetted during some practice with live fire drills.

Installed the Sodemann trigger return spring. It did lighten the pull during 'takeup' but more importantly, it cleaned it up. The stock spring had some 'grit' (probably not the best word) that usually got lost in the noise during live fire. However, during dry fire, it was enough of a distraction that I made the decision to change it.

OEM guide-rod and recoil spring . EVERYONE that handled my Q5 Steel Frame mentioned that the slide felt very oversprung. Initial live fire testing supported that with a dot bouncing below my POA during bill drills. Compared to the spring weight I use to run my STI Eagle and Wilson Comat CQB, even the 15# I installed is pretty heavy. However, with my loaded ammo, the 15# seem to cycle pretty quickly return really close to zero (To steal Adam's phase from my Limited gun).

I went with the ZR Tactical Solutions guide rod and using Wilson Combat flatwire springs. I tested a 13# and went with the 15#. With an optic on the gun, i wasn't happy with the lockup that a 13 pound spring provided. I'll 'error' on the side of reliability every day. I'm through wasting time and points at a match fooking' with my gun and gear. The 15# locks up solid - EVERY time.

OEM grips were okay but LOK grips are better. I tried the standard size bogie and ultimately went with the THIN Bogie. It's a matter of personal preference and of course hand size. I don't have small hands but I feel the thin grips provide much more leverage. As an added bonus, reaching the mag release is a little easier.

I see there is an oversized mag release button available. Perhaps if someone has tried it they can add some feedback here. What you liked or didn't like.

As for optics, I chose to give the Trijicon SRO a try. I started with a 2.5MOA and decided to run the 5MOA. Bigger is just better with dots on a pistol. When I took a class with Steve Anderson, he quoted many classes worth of data. He's had several students swapping their guns around with other students, all running various dot sizes. Let's be real, there are only 4 guns that are REALLY big in the CO scene. Shadow 2 (milled), 320 X-5 (and Legion), Glock 34, and Walther PPQs. The bigger dots helped to lower transition times and have a quicker index out of the holster. My own trial (and error) supports that. So, 5 MOA it is. I appreciate the fact that Walther provided an adapter plate IN THE BOX that supports a Trijicon optic. Thanks Walther!

Ammo. I know with current ammo prices, there isn't much 'need' to reload 9mm. But I do it anyway. I'm currently using a recipe for Rocky Mountain Reload 124JHP bullets and Sport Pistol power loaded to 1.08 OAL and pushing 131 power factor. The Q5 SF barrel is throated a little longer than what we had in the Polymer PPQ and Q5 match. Perhaps later I'll revisit the OAL but right now I'm definetly hitting moment of A zone accuracy with upper A zones at 15 yards and lower A zone at 25 yards. Would like to shoot that load from a rest to give real-world grouping data. However, practical shooting is about "good enough" and even IDPA gives you a full second to hit an 8 inch circle at any given distance. As I proved today, my ammo is more than good enough to score Down Zero in that game.

I'm curious to hear what other Q5 Match owners have to say about their gun and their match experience. What worked. What didn't. What broke that you've had to fix (what spare parts do i need to throw in my bag).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check out the Enos Walther forum. Info there on what one member did to get an "oversized" mag release button that is IDPA legal.

Me, I modified my LOK thin grips to make the stock button more accessible. That's why I bought 2 grips in case I mucked one up. It worked! More than 250 rounds thru the pipe today and performed many 3 shot-reload-3 shot drills. Files and sandpaper are your friends with G10.

Ammo, the barrel feed ramp really does not like the flat nose 150g Syntech with a reduced recoil spring. You have to run a big swab and clean the feed ramp EVERY time before the next stage in a match. I currently run the ZT guide rod and 13lbs flatwire spring. The issue may be resolved with the 15lbs spring. Anything coated-plated-FMJ with a round nose is great. It did run Xtreme HPs without a hitch. The gun absolutely likes the AA 115 Steel Match ammo. Soft recoil, makes power factor with the faster barrel, and it's accurate!

TTFN!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good information in the above two postings. Thanks.

I run a Poly Q5, stock recoil spring and AE124 ammo. No time or money to reload, but get good deals on ammo by the pallet for me and fellow shooters at our club.

I'm just getting into CO, both IDPA and some USPSA and running a Venom 6moa. If it craps, it's off to an SRO. My wife didn't want me to spend $500 but it it's needed it's needed.

I'm getting good at picking up the dot quickly with a lot of practice. Just waiting for decent weather in Michigan to wring it out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Walther extended mag release button would be awesome for USPSA CO division but would not be able to cross over to IDPA because of it's length from the frame. It doesn't appear readily available at the moment.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is my SF in its USPSA CO configuration. It runs 147gr. 130-135 PF coated DG FLAT POINTS just fine with a 13# Wilson flatwire. Maybe the SRO is heavier than my FTP Alpha 3? I haven't tried the Federal 150 Syntec since I can handload the same thing for 10.5 cents per round.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may revisit the 13# spring. At this point I can't blame my splits for a poor match performance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good information in the above two postings. Thanks.

I run a Poly Q5, stock recoil spring and AE124 ammo. No time or money to reload, but get good deals on ammo by the pallet for me and fellow shooters at our club.

I'm just getting into CO, both IDPA and some USPSA and running a Venom 6moa. If it craps, it's off to an SRO. My wife didn't want me to spend $500 but it it's needed it's needed.

I'm getting good at picking up the dot quickly with a lot of practice. Just waiting for decent weather in Michigan to wring it out.
If you're "just getting into " CO your Venom 6moa will be fine. It's a good optic for the price. Dry fire will do more for you then a new $500 optic.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
That's just marks from the ejected brass. Some guns get that more than others (even varies among the same make/model of gun - specimen to specimen). Yea, that's fine. Very common on some guns.

If you do some research, there are solvents you can use to help get that off. But, it's just gonna keep happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts