Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was worried that LOK thin grips would put my optic SF with a TF magwell and 10 round mags with TF comp baseplates over-weight for IDPA.

The LOK's grips are a few grams heavier than the OEM Walther.

I weighed it tonight and it came in at 44.6oz. So it's OK.

The 10 rd mags are just blocked 15 rd mags so 15 rd mags with the same baseplate/magwell should be OK too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 10 rd mags are just blocked 15 rd mags so 15 rd mags with the same baseplate/magwell should be OK too.
So the Pro model arrived from Walther to my FFL today. To use this gun in IDPA from what I am reading, I need to reduce the mag capacity to 10 round. This is done by blocking the magazine to reduce its capacity. Is there any commercial means to do this.

Also living in Virginia, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a requirement in the next 6 months.

·
Registered
297 Posts
In CA we use legos and epoxy to block mags if there isn’t a 10 round option lol. Nowadays, ONLY “certified” FFLs can block them for us if they have a “high capacity magazine permit”, or we send the mags out of state for an FFL to block it, then send it back. Must be permanently affixed via JB weld and epoxy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For IDPA your first mag is loaded to 11 rounds then your other two mags loaded to 10 rounds.

I use the stock 15 round mags that came with my PPQs for IDPA.

·
Registered
697 Posts
For IDPA your first mag is loaded to 11 rounds then your other two mags loaded to 10 rounds.

I use the stock 15 round mags that came with my PPQs for IDPA.
Technically, you load one in the chamber and all mags have 10 round max for PPQs. So you start with 11 rounds, one in chamber and 10 in the mag.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can use the 17 round "PRO" mag in IDPA, but I'm not sure that it will fit the box. My 15 round mags with a TF baseplate just fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In CA we use legos and epoxy to block mags if there isn’t a 10 round option lol. Nowadays, ONLY “certified” FFLs can block them for us if they have a “high capacity magazine permit”, or we send the mags out of state for an FFL to block it, then send it back. Must be permanently affixed via JB weld and epoxy.
How do you clean them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you clean them?
Well, the CA Penal Code does say "permanently" alter, it does not specify the method used to make the alteration "permanent". Some are epoxied, some are blind pinned, some are riveted. Magazine Blocks sells limiters that fit under the follower and can be epoxied if needed so the mag can still be disassembled.

Ten round mags can be purchased that have dimples in the side or even rivets to restrict capacity. My Beretta mags have a longer bead down the body to squeeze the stack together to restrict to 10 rounds.

So for the mags that dimple, bead, block under the follower, even rivet in the body (floor plate not "fixed") they come apart like any free state mag. Ones with the plates fixed, are trickier.

Since I don't compete, I don't intentionally drop my mags in dirt so cleaning is just a quick wipe down of the exterior and the follower.

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
A mag is just like a trash can.....it collects brass shavings, unburnt powder residue and who knows what else. Over a period of time this accumulation of poop can affect reliability.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always wondered what the cleaning process was with some permanately blocked mags. I've got "blockers" that reduce the capacity of my 19rd. XDM mags that I used once going to the S&W IDPA Indoor Nationals in Springfield Mass. I found out afterward that the Mass. law says they have to be "permanant". Since then, I've just bought dimpled 10 round mags for Mass. competitions. But that gets expensive. lol. I now have dimpled 10 rd. mags for a Sig 320, an XDM, and my Q5SF. Nine magazines that just sit collecting dust for most of the time. We're OK when we shoot our 1911 9mm's since they only hold 10 to begin with.

What imoldfart says is true, you've GOT to keep mags clean and with fresh springs from time to time. Especially 1911 mags!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sadly, that's the case here. Most all new guns sold here have 10 round mags (unless they normally hold less). Some have short bodies and extended floor plates in addition to the methods described above. These also come apart as usual.

So I have 3 PPQs (2 5" and 1 4") so I had 6 blocked mags (not counting my Sig and HK). Didn't really want to use them so I bought a bunch of 10 rounders. Then a judged ruled CA's magazine ban unconstitutional and opened the gates to "Freedom Week". Some estimates say over 1 million "large capacity mags" were bought by Californians. There's no estimate as to how many previously blocked mags were unblocked.

In the end, mags are "consumable".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts