Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm contemplating purchasing Q5 SF PRO from an out of state dealer. The problem is they come with 17 round mags and I'm in a 15 round state so dealer wont send mags either with the gun or to an alternate address in a mag friendly state.

I'm still willing to make the purchase without mags but I need to know what mags are compatible with the Q5. Will the PPQ mags work?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If you took the magwell off they would. 17 rounders (or mags with extensions) are required for the magwell.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I've heard that if the SKU number on the box shows that it is a "17rd" pistol, that it is not allowed to be sent to a state that has a limit that is lower than that.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the case, being that I don't live in a state that has a mag capacity limit, but this is what I've heard. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about other states, but that's definitely not the case here in Colorado. The statute specifically bans 16+ rounders but places no limitations on any firearms capable of using those hi cap mags.

As a retired FFL holder, I suspect many receiving FFL's use the SKU number to quickly identify hi cap mag products though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a SF pro and you MUST use the mag with an aftermarket baseplate. The standard ones do not fit- I tried.. the regular SF uses standard 15 round mags. I would imagine that if you took off the well you could use 15 round (or 10 round) PPQ mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
I don't have a PPQ Match SF....but I did install a magwell funnel on one of my Q's. I found that the 17 round mag would not lock in....the magazine baseplate would make contact with the funnel....stopping it about 1/8" too low. I have no doubt that I could do a little modding of the base plate to get it to work with the funnel. However, I went a different route.

I grabbed one of my Sig P226 9mm 20 round mags (modded to work in a PPQ M2), stuck it in there 'click' fit perfectly.

Here's a couple of pictures....oh, and my 30 round Beretta mag works too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm contemplating purchasing Q5 SF PRO from an out of state dealer. The problem is they come with 17 round mags and I'm in a 15 round state so dealer wont send mags either with the gun or to an alternate address in a mag friendly state.

I'm still willing to make the purchase without mags but I need to know what mags are compatible with the Q5. Will the PPQ mags work?
As long as your PPQ is the M2 (button mag release) they should work OK. PPQ M1 (paddles) and M2 (button) magazines are not interchangeable.

Enjoy your new pistol!

·
Registered
11 Posts

. Buy the Pro then sell me the magwell. I will ship to you the stock base pads. I use mine in IDPA carry optics division. I tried the TF magwell and they don’t work

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
. Buy the Pro then sell me the magwell. I will ship to you the stock base pads. I use mine in IDPA carry optics division. I tried the TF magwell and they don’t work
Bullchit!

Gumbo, its that bottom edge of the magwell and the top edge of the magazine base pad that, together, limit 'over insertion' of the magazine.

The TF magwell funnel is designed perfectly. I've got Walther and TF magwells...they're exactly the same....fit the same.....the only difference is the 'TF' logo and 'Walther' logo engraved on the side.

Use a spare PPQ, or remove the funnel and do this. Remove the slide....use the frame only. Insert a magazine into the empty magwell of a frame. Push the mag UP until it stops. WHAT stopped the magazine? Answer: The base pad hitting the bottom of the magwell. Now remove the basepad, spring and follower from the magazine. Insert the empty mag body into the magwell. WHAT stopped the magazine? Answer: The magazine stopped when the mag body hits the ejector. THATS THE REASON THE BASE PAD NEEDS TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BOTTOM OF THE FRAME. And THAT's the reason the TF and Walther magwells are designed like they are....It's to allow the base pad to make contact with the bottom of the frame, which keeps the magazine from 'whackin' into the ejector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts