Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First of all let me say that I'm a noob at competition shooting. I've been good at rifles all my life but I've never really gotten into pistols until the last 5-6 years (PPQ 4" 9mm, M&P 4" 9mm). And I still didn't shoot them a lot until two months ago when I started doing matches (outlaw, Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA - 12 matches in two months).

Today was my first IDPA match with the Q5 SF and here are my initial impressions:

1. I shot my first fully-clean stage today!
  2. The Q5 was ready for the next shot way sooner than I was. I need a lot more dry fire practice with this and be prepared to go much faster than I ever did with my PPQ.
  3. This was the 4th time I've shot my Q5 and I've used the same 124gr Blazer factory ammo each time, maybe 500-700 rounds in total. No malfunctions or issues.
  4. I went slow and steady (like I always do). My PDs (points down) are usually fairly good, but this time my PDs was one of the best in the match. With the Q5 it felt so much easier to be accurate with follow-up shots than my PPQ. Even when I felt that a shot sucked it was still pretty good. It was difficult to miss.
  5. The Q5 felt like part of my body. It didn't feel like the Shadow 2 where it's a front-heavy iron brick I'm holding in my hands. The Q5 was very well balanced and I just had to go with the flow.
  6. I can't notice the "sharp edge" on the beaver tail when shooting. There's no mark on my thumb knuckle. I can see and feel it when inspecting it closely, but when shooting it's not an issue. Instead, the beaver tail helps to guide my hand to make faster and more reliable draws from holster.
  7. As others have noticed, the magazine is pushed to one side inside the magwell and you can move the magazine side to side a bit more than on my PPQ. Maybe. But the magazine is not loose. And it doesn't seem to matter at all to the function.
  8. The mag release button is further away than on my PPQ. I have to reach a bit. So I think my reloads were a bit slower than with my PPQ but I have to analyze my GoPro slomo video to see. In any case, I think it's just a muscle memory thing that needs to be trained with dry fire reload practice.
To sum it up: I love it and I'm going to keep it! Shoot-it-Love-it-Buy-it promo ftw. :)

Also, I think it's absolutely stunningly beautiful, and the blue highlights matches well with my Stoeger M3K shotgun for 3-gun matches. :) The Q5 SF is perfect for me. (I think the Shadow 2 looks horrible and I can't stand the 1911 grip.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought one to compete in IDPA, actually to replace the P99AS I’ve been shooting for years. Last match I did a head to head between the two. This is after ~800 rounds with the Q5SF so Im getting used to it.

Long story short, I was a little faster to finish the stage with the lighter P99 that Im used to (and I shot that gun second so that must have saved a little time), but I was definitely more accurate with the Q5SF, so my overall time was lower with the SF due to less points down. Seems about right.

FWIW my SF has been flawless as far as reliability goes. No self-machining or metal to metal contact between the slide and magazine so I guess this one is a keeper.

The mag release is a little far to reach, and the ergos aren’t perfect. The trigger is a little low so shooting one handed I have to train and be careful which way I pull the trigger or sometimes the trigger safety will snag (lightened Springco trigger springs in mine). Also the top of the grip near the slide release doesnt really give me an awesome place to put my thumb where I can use it to grip but not ride that slide release. Oh well that was a bit of a problem with the P99 too. The sharp edge on the beavertail isnt an issue. Its never broken skin and I’m quickly getting tougher skin there from dryfiring. Never noticed it while shooting, unlike the cylinder release on my j-frame.

Looking forward to getting a red dot that doesnt suck and shooting carry optics real soon.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Looking forward to getting a red dot that doesnt suck and shooting carry optics real soon.
I'm not sure "red dot that doesn't suck" is a thing just yet.

This thread is worth reading from start to finish on that topic: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20009-Delta-Point-Pro-battery-life-sucks I stand by my post on the current last page - I won't even consider buying into Carry Optics until such time as the OP in that thread declares SOME optic to be good to go on a pistol slide. He and his wife are high volume competitive shooters and have broken multiples of basically every one currently out there.

·
Registered
46 Posts

This thread is worth reading from start to finish on that topic: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20009-Delta-Point-Pro-battery-life-sucks I stand by my post on the current last page - I won't even consider buying into Carry Optics until such time as the OP in that thread declares SOME optic to be good to go on a pistol slide. He and his wife are high volume competitive shooters and have broken multiples of basically every one currently out there.
Well I'm definitely not going to DPP route after that thread. Actually I've got a Holosun 508T on order, granted a titanium housing won't help if your internals break, which is what it seems like happens most of the time of these micro red dots. Already broke a Burris FF3 after 400 rounds.

I won't be carrying the Q5 SF much, just dryfire, match, and range use. If the dot breaks, I'll be out my range fees and that's about it. If I need something to carry the P99 with good iron sights still gets the nod. Its lighter and less bulky to carry around all day anyway. If I wanted to carry a dot, it would probably be an RMR right now, but we'll see if the Holosun can hold up. I have a Holosun dot on one of the rifles and its been quite good so far, but I know they have quality control issues out of the box.

I'm very interested in CO for what training with a red dot can teach me about my fundamentals. I'm not doing it to look cool :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well I'm definitely not going to DPP route after that thread. Actually I've got a Holosun 508T on order, granted a titanium housing won't help if your internals break, which is what it seems like happens most of the time of these micro red dots. Already broke a Burris FF3 after 400 rounds.

I won't be carrying the Q5 SF much, just dryfire, match, and range use. If the dot breaks, I'll be out my range fees and that's about it. If I need something to carry the P99 with good iron sights still gets the nod. Its lighter and less bulky to carry around all day anyway. If I wanted to carry a dot, it would probably be an RMR right now, but we'll see if the Holosun can hold up. I have a Holosun dot on one of the rifles and its been quite good so far, but I know they have quality control issues out of the box.

I'm very interested in CO for what training with a red dot can teach me about my fundamentals. I'm not doing it to look cool :)
So far Luepold DDPis still the best,but the Trijicon SRO looks very promising , waiting on mine to come in . Done a prepaid order. My friend has sent 2 Holosuns back already, 3500 rds and 1800 rds. Was hoping they would be atleast as good as the Vortex.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got about 11,000 rnds through a 5" PPQ milled slide Leupold DDP and haven't had a single issue. At last years USPSA Nationals in Carry Optics division the greatest number of red dot brand was the Leupold.

All dots break eventually, but statistically speaking the Leupolds last the longest. Most serious competition shooters have 2 complete Gats ready to go in the not uncommon event that one breaks. And that's the whole gun, not just the dot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We've got 3 dots. 2 FF3's mounted on milled 1911 slides for IDPA CO and one Vortex Venom that was on a XDm 5.25 soon to be transferred over to my Q5SF when it gets here for USPSA CO. All have been problem free so far after 1.5 yrs of competition so I don't buy the statement that dot's aren't dependable and will always break. Maybe one of ours will eventually but collectively we've got over 20K rounds thru the three.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've got 3 dots. 2 FF3's mounted on milled 1911 slides for IDPA CO and one Vortex Venom that was on a XDm 5.25 soon to be transferred over to my Q5SF when it gets here for USPSA CO. All have been problem free so far after 1.5 yrs of competition so I don't buy the statement that dot's aren't dependable and will always break. Maybe one of ours will eventually but collectively we've got over 20K rounds thru the three.
I see optics fail for other people all the time at my local matches... I don't trust them at all... I'm now RO:ing some matches so I get to see in detail how everyone is doing. There's always someone who has trouble with their optics...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just crossed over 1500 rounds in 2 months (training to start trying to shoot some IDPA) with a vortex venom on a Q4 TAC. So far I haven't even replaced the battery. Would I trust it for carry probably not yet, but absolutely already trust it enough to shoot a match with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just to jump in I have a Q5 SF that absolutely kicks arse. Love the thing. Zero malfunctions.
As I just shoot to shoot (no competition) I replaced the stock sights with three dot green glowies and my shooting accuracy has improved tremendously. Old eye thing probably.
No plans to put optics on it as my AR’s are carrying the optic flag for me.
Everyone who shoots it loves it though I will admit their enthusiasm sometimes dampens when they hear the price!
Glad I got it though.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
their enthusiasm sometimes dampens when they hear the price!
Yeah, MSRP on the Q5 SF is pretty darn high, but if you think the CZ Shadow and Shadow 2 are appropriately priced, then the Q5 is basically in line with them. I think all of those guns cost too much, but they surely are nice, and they may provide that extra few marginal percentage points that can make a difference to high-level competitive shooters. For mere mortals on a budget like me, the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.

Of course, none of that stops me from wanting to try out shooting a Q5 SF sometime...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I see optics fail for other people all the time at my local matches... I don't trust them at all... I'm now RO:ing some matches so I get to see in detail how everyone is doing. There's always someone who has trouble with their optics...
Hey Misfire! Glad that you stepped up so soon and got your SO cert! I also am an SO and have been to 3 Majors and countless local matches in both sports since CO became legal in USPSA and then IDPA.

I've seen front and rear irons fall off, but....

I haven't seen a dot go down yet.

I've had my FF3 shut off on me once at a major, but that was before I knew they had an 8hr. time out. lol. I thought I broke it but it was just operator error. Next match after that was a level 3 and that time I turned it off while having lunch then back on after. The Vortex I think has an 18hr. time out. Funny thing is that Burris does not mention either on the box or in the instructions anything about an 8 hr time out. I got clued into it by a fellow shooter that also shoots one. Lo and behold, they DO mention the time out on their website.

Anyway, the Viper's going on my SF when it gets here. I need some time to fondle a DPP and the SRO.

Hey, you spent big bucks for your pistol and gear. You go thru lots of ammo.
You can wait until the cows come home for the perfect optic that the top shooters can't break or you can spend 200 now and see why everyone's enjoying CO so much.

Having said that, I think there should be a rule that says you have to be at least 50 to use one. It's the only chance we old fudds have to keep up!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
To update this for anybody who hasn't read the linked thread recently - the OP of that thread has given a bunch of feedback to Leupold, and has been testing some improvements they've made to the Delta Point Pro design. So far, he's been happy. Time will tell, but it would seem that there's at least hope.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Misfire! Glad that you stepped up so soon and got your SO cert! I also am an SO and have been to 3 Majors and countless local matches in both sports since CO became legal in USPSA and then IDPA.
Didn't do the NROI RO seminar yet, just the NRA RSO that lets me RO some local matches (but not USPSA level 2+). I did sign up for the seminar to be able to RO a USPSA sectional, but I think it's too soon... I'm learning a LOT RO:ing local outlaw matches, where people are anything between national champions to total newbies and it's great fun! Plus, I get to be in charge of safety, which I like... :)

I've seen front and rear irons fall off, but....

I haven't seen a dot go down yet.
Hmm... Maybe at your level people have their dots properly set up and tested. But I'm seeing a lot of failures (dot working for first shot but off for subsequent shots, or dots stopping to work altogether) and a lot of inconvenience ("hold on, I just gotta turn on my dot to be able to shoot", wait for an awkward period of time, etc)...

Hey, you spent big bucks for your pistol and gear. You go thru lots of ammo.
You can wait until the cows come home for the perfect optic that the top shooters can't break or you can spend 200 now and see why everyone's enjoying CO so much.
I got a rifle that only had a red dot. But the first thing I did was to take that off and put on some iron sights. ;) So I do have a dot, I just don't use it...

I think it's mostly me, not the dot. Iron sights just feels safe and trustworthy to me. It's what I've been used to all my life. Though almost all of that time was with rifles, not pistols. In fact, I didn't even trust pistols until recent years. ;)

Having said that, I think there should be a rule that says you have to be at least 50 to use one. It's the only chance we old fudds have to keep up!
That's so true! A lot of the people I do matches with say they use dots for that reason. Maybe I will see the light some day! (pun intended) :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know some folks buy a 40-60 dollar RDS off Amazon or fleabay for their first try with a dot. Just to "see if I like it". Maybe it's that kind of dot you're seeing failures on. I honestly haven't seen a dot go down yet on someone but I'm sure it happens. As far as lost time at the stage start, everyone I know turns their dot on at the safe table and never turn them off all day. I 'check" my dot at LAMR but it's never been off. Except for that one time I mentioned, which was a table start on a low light stage indoors. My last stage in a long match where it turned out the sight had powered down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ! New to the forum and competitive shooting . Currently shooting a PPQ 4". Looks like there are some experienced IDPA shooters here. I'm new to the game but liking it a lot ! I'm considering a Q5 SF which Walther website specs at 41.6 oz. IDPA weight limit is 43 oz.
Can anyone here confirm the total weight of the Q5 SF with empty mag as being IDPA legal. I've read that it is. My LGS's do not have a digital scale on hand.
Next issue would be the possibility of putting a on red dot optic. Delta Pro, Trijicon, Vortex seem to be the most popular. My eyes are getting older and I see many of the more experienced shooters using CO on their match guns.
Would putting a optic on the Q5 SF put it over or to close to the edge of being IDPA legal ? The Q5 SF is a big investment. I'm not fully committed to it and will be renting one soon. The Q5 polymer which I have shot and like very much and would easily be legal with or without an optic and matches the ergonomics of my current PPQ . Just exploring options and advice from those using the SF Q5 in IDPA. Thanks for any input and advice !

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have a Q5 poly and I can tell you the Q5 SF and the Sig Legion X5 are much easier to control recoil because of the extra weight and my splits are faster because of this. The SRO I have on my poly is fantastic. I had a Venom 6moa and even though I had no trouble finding the dot on the draw, the bigger window on the SRO makes keeping it in sight when shooting around walls and barricades much faster. It's a plus that the dot and lens are clearer too. It's worth the extra cost by far. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm getting a Q5 SF.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts