Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Yep, I did heat the end of the rod.....but I weenied out.....yes, I'm a sissy. Didn't like applying that much heat to the end of the rod and screw.

I've never tried Rocksett....may give it a try.....but first, I need to use up all my 242. :D

Lots of those thread lockers out there. https://www.amazon.com/rocksett-threadlocker/s?k=rocksett+threadlocker

I'll just stay with one of these....as I can't think of anything that I do where I'd need to use the 'red'.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Red's handy for dovetail front sight installs but I've been told that Green is even better because it creeps under to fill voids.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The Q5 SF has a recoil guide rod that is assembled with a "c-shaped locking ring". This allows for a relatively easy way to change the recoil guide rod spring.

Has anyone changed out this spring? What were the results?

I see that Sprinco sells their Walther white, yellow and red springs separately. Sound like a good path without having to buy a full guide rod setup.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Q5 SF has a recoil guide rod that is assembled with a "c-shaped locking ring". This allows for a relatively easy way to change the recoil guide rod spring.

Has anyone changed out this spring? What were the results?

I see that Sprinco sells their Walther white, yellow and red springs separately. Sound like a good path without having to buy a full guide rod setup.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

The Springco springs are made for their uncaptured recoil spring system and by themselves may be too light for the Q5 SF. I removed my factory spring and cut it down to get the recoil spring weight I wanted (about 14 lbs) and so far the gun runs fine with match grade ammo (132 PF). I'd really like to see someone manufacture different weight springs to fit the guide rod so you can fine tune the gun, but so far no luck in finding any.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I saw yesterday that Sprinco also has a "red" spring that's lighter than the "white". Altho they say "buyer beware YOUR gun may not run perfect with this spring". IF, I was going to try their springs, I'd order the white AND red. The spring only cost's as much as the postage, so why not have both to start with.
Me, I'm happy with imaoldfarts solution of the hole drilled ZR guiderod and a 13# Wilson flatwire UNCAPTURED recoil spring. My SF has been running perfect with that setup for 1800 rounds of 130PF handloads.

·
Registered
682 Posts
...Me, I'm happy with imaoldfarts solution of the hole drilled ZR guiderod and a 13# Wilson flatwire UNCAPTURED recoil spring. My SF has been running perfect with that setup for 1800 rounds of 130PF handloads.
That may be the way to go if I want to keep the factory spring and guide rod stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was having failure to eject/stovepipes with my minor loads out of my new SF. I tried the Glock spring 13lb recoil spring thing that others have been using, but my slide was hesitant to return to battery. I decided to cut about 1 inch off of the stock recoil spring, and I havent had any issues at all in 2k rounds. I'm not cheap or a penny pincher at all. I just needed my SF to run for matches. This did it.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Lok is saying their "thin" PPQ SF grips will be here this week.

I saw this on Instagram. I do not know what "here this week" really means. Available for order? Available for shipping?

Still, this seems a positive development.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lok is saying their "thin" PPQ SF grips will be here this week.

I saw this on Instagram. I do not know what "here this week" really means. Available for order? Available for shipping?

Still, this seems a positive development.
Saw the same. Hopefully they will be available for order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Checked out the Lokgrips site, and the thin grips are available for order. Placed mine just now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bart, The Sprinco recoil springs are designed to perform with their dual spring systems, not at all the same comparative weights as single rod & spring RSAs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Liggett, I think you got the color reference transposed - the Red Sprinco spring is definitely *not* lighter than the white. Red is the heaviest for SAAMI spec/factory loads, yellow for reduced PF loads, and white, the lightest, if you are pushing PF minimums and will to risk the reduced slide momentum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed the Lok Thin grips last night. Definitely fits my hand much better now!

Which one did you get? The bogies or checkered? I'm trying to figure out how much grip/texture there is. Don't know which one to buy. I have touched bogies before but they were palm swell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which one did you get? The bogies or checkered? I'm trying to figure out how much grip/texture there is. Don't know which one to buy. I have touched bogies before but they were palm swell.
I got the checkered. They are a smidge less grippy than the original grips, but the checkering is nice and sharp.

I actually like less aggressive grips because it allows easier manipulation for reloads or if I need to fix my grip on a bad draw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honu,
Is the back strap smaller as well as the side panels thinner? Is it similar to the smaller backstrap for the polymer Q5 ?
Thx

21 - 40 of 64 Posts