Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Unless they have changed it, IDPA carry optics requires that a mag release has to be stock on another pistol to be legal. :mad:
Then Walther needs to include the extended mag release in the box with each new pistol. If that doesn't make em' happy, then Walther needs to provide the Q5 SF with the extended mag release installed and the shorty included for those with extra long thumbs. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let us know if the LOK grips are smaller. I don't want to buy them to find out they are the same size as the OEM grips
I got a set of "Bogies" so I could mod those and keep the originals intact, and they say they are the same size but the feel a tad bigger. I've talked with Blake over there who was willing to tell me about filing/sanding them down. The G10 material is really toxic and should be worked with a respirator. I want to file in a groove so I can hit the mag release without breaking my grip.

For me, the Bogies are really abrasive, they have since come out with the "Checkered" which are probably better for me personally - my right thumb joint on the inside against the grip gets sore after shooting. Some sanding will help and Blake indicated that sanding the entire surface would help overall. On the Lokgrip site under another firearm it gives a more detailed description of what grip styles are all about.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What the IDPA rule actually states re: the mag release button is "that it cannot be oversized and extend no more than .20" from the frame". If the extended button meets that criteria you're legal.

·
Registered
684 Posts
What the IDPA rule actually states re: the mag release button is "that it cannot be oversized and extend no more than .20" from the frame". If the extended button meets that criteria you're legal.
Looked at the updated rules and this is good news. Now, is the grip considered part of the frame so we can be .20" above that? The release button is about .12" above the steel part of the frame, but below the grip part of the frame.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looked at the updated rules and this is good news. Now, is the grip considered part of the frame so we can be .20" above that? The release button is about .12" above the steel part of the frame, but below the grip part of the frame.
No. the "frame" is the "frame". The steel part. You wouldn't want to be above the grip. Sometimes you have a "box" start position. I've seen extended mag releases drop the mag inadvertently in those starts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I ordered the thin checkered today. in blue/black. Blake said they got rid of the bulge in the rear of the grip so for me that should be an improvement. Only possible issue is that my pistol with mag and optic already weighs 44.5oz and the thin checkered are 6.5gm heavier than OEM which is almost 1/4oz. It's going to be close.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No. the "frame" is the "frame". The steel part. You wouldn't want to be above the grip. Sometimes you have a "box" start position. I've seen extended mag releases drop the mag inadvertently in those starts.
If they came out with a paddle release steel frame, I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
for keithwhite100 and anyone else Thin blue/black checkered. The backstrap is flat which makes them smaller as far as trigger and mag release is concerned.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
for keithwhite100 and anyone else Thin blue/black checkered. The backstrap is flat which makes them smaller as far as trigger and mag release is concerned.

I like it and my buddy just got one and is bringing it over to me this morning, I will do a measurement as compared to the original and the LOK Standard size.

On a different note Walther now has the Medium stock grips in stock in US and I received two ea in the mail yesterday. I'm starting modification on one of them today for myself.

They run 40 bucks each.

Keithwhite100

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The new Small Walther Q5 SF LOK grip Review

I did a size comparison between the modified grip I made, the new LOK small offering in the nice blue hue color and the Medium LOK grip vs the Walther standard grip for the Q5 SF

I took measurements in three locations, 1- at the base front to back, 2- width at the base and, 3- at the top in line with the trigger. the results are posted below.

But first I want to give a shout to LOK for a bang up job in this offering. I loved it, the size was just right very similar to the one I had made, I loved the look (very nice ) and the texture was not overly aggressive like the Medium LOK grip I have. They also made the back walls thicker and added two 1/8 X 1/2 inch SS dowels to lock the two parts together, nice touch. ( see pictures)

The size break out is as follows;

keithwhite100, front to back 2.000, width base 1.348, width top 1.320
Q5 SF. , front to back 2.091, width base 1.420, width top 1.355
LOK Med. , front to back 2.075, width base 1.344, width top 1.364
LOK Small , front to back 1.900, width base 1.325, width top 1.325

So, after holding all the grips in hand and looking at the data, the dimension that makes the most difference is the top width, which if you think about it is the circumference in which you are wrapping you thumb and trigger finger around. I liked the LOK small grip equally. And will make a second one a little smaller than the first, or just purchase the LOK small grip.

BTW, LOK told me they are near the end of development for a large to fit the guys with them bear paws.

Small Hand Luke is happy now, Keithwhite100

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
On a different note Walther now has the Medium stock grips in stock in US and I received two ea in the mail yesterday. I'm starting modification on one of them today for myself.

They run 40 bucks each.
I can't find those medium Walther grips online. Where are they?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Keith

Is that the threaded barrel from Walther ??
Does it come with that thread protector ??
What type of front sight is that ??

Weapon looks great !!
Yes that is the Walther 5.5 inch barrel. No that is not the thread protector that shipped with the barrel. This one is much better and heavy, I love it. That is a modified Dwason sight mounted on the gun, it is great and works perfectly with the SRO optic. With the upgrade on this gun it shoots like a dream machine.

Keith

41 - 60 of 87 Posts