Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously Walther, I'm still waiting for a smaller grip for the wonderful SF. Yes it's a fantastic gun, however, I can't enjoy it as the man paw grip that is standard makes shooting the magnificent gun a pain. So how long will it take to make a new mold and shoot some new grips. Why is it taking so long? For crying out loud, how long can it take a room full of German Engineers to modify the shape of a grip? Here is an engineering tip, the q5 small grip is perfect for me, just duplicate it. In fact, I would purchase anybody's new smaller grip design that fits the Q5 SF. Are you going to make us wait another 3 months? Stop work on the new trigger and get the grip done.

Kind regards,
Small Hand Luke

·
Registered
21 Posts
I spoke with them several times and was told not in the works at this time. I made mine much smaller to fit my wife's hand. I filled the backstrap with acraglas, sanded it all down and then used silicon carbide. Fits her hand perfectly. Pic below.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with them several times and was told not in the works at this time. I made mine much smaller to fit my wife's hand. I filled the backstrap with acraglas, snaded it all down and then used silicon carbide. Fits her hand perfectly.

Can you send me a link for acraglas and silicon carbide. I hate to screw it up but as is, purdy much worthless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sand down the sides the way you want them and the backstrap. Then rough up the inside of the backstrap. Drill small holes through the back strap and the inside so the Agra glass can Bond. Don't forget to use release agent where you do not want it to stick. anything that leaks out you'll be able to clean up once it dries. Then start carving away with a Dremel to the shape you want. Then add epoxy and the silicon carbide. Done.
Look at videos on YouTube to get ideas of the process.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I spoke with them several times and was told not in the works at this time. I made mine much smaller to fit my wife's hand. I filled the backstrap with acraglas, sanded it all down and then used silicon carbide. Fits her hand perfectly. Pic below.
Echotango that looks real good. I wish I had your skills.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I spoke with them several times and was told not in the works at this time. I made mine much smaller to fit my wife's hand. I filled the backstrap with acraglas, snaded it all down and then used silicon carbide. Fits her hand perfectly.

Can you send me a link for acraglas and silicon carbide. I hate to screw it up but as is, purdy much worthless.
I thought Walther said when the SF was first released that different grip options would be available??? Am I mis-remembering that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just called Walther Customer Support to order a new grip for my Q5 SF and they are not in stock at this time. They stated the list price would be around 39 dollars. I inquired at to when I could order a spare grip to size for my personal fit and he thought the spare parts would be in stock a month or so due to all parts at this time feeding manufacturing stock at this time.

I also inquired about grip size variations and he stated they were in the works but had not been updated on when they might be delivered. I have also seen several reviews and videos where it was stated the resized grip options were only a couple months away, this was back in January.

I have decided to modify the grip I have now with some kit materials and try to improve hand fit. I hope I can match the quality in the above post. But nothing ventured nothing gained.

Small Hand Luke

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The new grip is finished and now fits my smaller hand. The texture is great and to get that coating it took me two weeks and dozens of testing and material trials. The outcome exceeds my expectations.

Small Hands Luke

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's American Engineering

That looks awesome !!!!

The pictures do not do it justice, it will not move in your hands and looks like a million bucks, btw that is German crushed blue colbalt glass and Silicon Carbide mixed and milled to very special specifications to get the desired look I wanted, who needs the Germans for a good looking grip, LOL. I did more than 30 test samples before refining the process and look.

And, it fits my small little hand perfect. Walther will not even sell the replacement grip as the guy stated all them make is going into production. I think that a load of hog wash as you can mold as many grips as you need, not dependent on rest of the parts. So I knew if i screwed up this process I was out a gun for a while. So Walther if you're not going to make grip options for folks at least you can shake the current grips free so folks can purchase the base part and make their own modified grip options. :)

Small Hands Luke, Keith White

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny I am hoping for bigger grip options, this thing makes my hand cramp. Compared t oa gen3 Glock the circumference is so tiny.... You pay a fortune for the Q5 SF with a mediochre trigger, and no grip option in the box or on the market.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny I am hoping for bigger grip options, this thing makes my hand cramp. Compared t oa gen3 Glock the circumference is so tiny.... You pay a fortune for the Q5 SF with a mediochre trigger, and no grip option in the box or on the market.

I made my grip smaller, it can be built up and coated to fit larger hands.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I bet some of the aftermarket makers will do grips for it. Lok does a whole line of different options for the CZ competition pistols - I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't jump on doing some for the Walther eventually.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will be meeting with Walther in 3 weeks ,maybe they will give me some better time estimates on the grips and expert trigger. I will post ASAP.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts