Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PPQ M2 .22 is a joy to shoot.

Not so with my aging hands and recoil of my PPQ M2 4 inch.

Would the longer and lighter slide on the Q 5 Match help with recoil?

I do know about the recoil spring kits.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
I don't think you'll realize much difference in recoil between a 4" and 5". You might get more bang for your buck (or less bang) by trying softer shooting ammo......like maybe something sub-sonic. Some of the competition shooters are shooting some REAL powder puff loads.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I like the 125 grain 9mm and even +P stuff.

Can you give me an honest opinion on the recoil spring kits and if
they will tame PPQ recoil?

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Well, to be honest, I've not encountered a recoil reduction system that provided a 'night & day' difference. Recoil seems to be very subjective....some people handle it better than others. I watched a guy shoot a Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 AE.....didn't seem to phase him.....he just kept sending Big globs of lead down range at supersonic speeds. Little ole ladies were screaming....little kids were running away.:eek: Actually, I don't know if their reaction was to the earth shattering BOOM's or maybe they simply took one look at me.

As for me, I'm a sissy....I just shoot the regular ole 9mm stuff. If I feel the need for a little more fire power, I move up to a 357 Sig.

But, if you'd like to try a recoil reduction system, pick up a Sprinco unit....Alan has put in many hours of design and testing on these systems. I'm sure he's forgot waaay more than I could ever hope to know/understand about recoil and ways to help to control it.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Thanks, but I like the 125 grain 9mm and even +P stuff. Can you give me an honest opinion on the recoil spring kits and if
they will tame PPQ recoil?

OF actually gave you the best short answer regarding recoil systems effects on recoil......in your case felt recoil. While I have not tested the Sprinco system my research, testing with DPMS systems on the XDs 45 and PPQ 45 and increasing the weight on the PPQ 45 convinced me that the most you can expect from any system is slightly reduced muzzle flip. The felt recoil will remain the same for the round used.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You trying to reduce flip or recoil?

Using softer ammo and yes, a recoil reduction system will help. Adding some weight with a light and learning how to properly hold the gun and locked wrists will help with flip.

You can put the exact same gun in someone’s hands with the same ammo and one with flip 40degrees and one won’t budge.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I believe you are trying to inquire as to whether the lightening cuts in the q5 makes a difference in felt recoil vs the 4 inch model and yes it does. I recently got a cz p09 and it is softer shooting than the q5, but the q5 is the softest shooting ppq out there because of less weight reciprocating when the gun cycles. Now Walther MAKE A FACTORY 5 IN THREADED BARREL MODEL OR JUST BARREL TO FIT YOUR COMPETITION MODEL!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
......but the q5 is the softest shooting ppq out there because of less weight reciprocating when the gun cycles.
I'm confused. The Q5 weighs (empty) 26.9oz while the 4" PPQ M2 is 24.5oz. Assuming the same round is fired from both I would expect the increased overall weight of the Q5 to have the greatest effect on felt recoil?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The q5 also has a longer barrel which is not part of the reciprocating mass, I've shot a standard q, 5 inch ported and the q5 extensively. The q5 is the smoothest and lightest recoil, it isn't a huge difference there are plenty of other polymer 9s that shoot flatter and recoil less but that is my experience

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.