Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Competition section but I think it my get more looks here:

Does the Q5 Match with the 17 round mag fit in the IDPA box? I’m shooting it in SSP right now with the 15 rounders but my hand fits much better with the 17. I sketched out a box and it’s very close to fitting but hard to tell unless I actually build the box. Any help would be grateful before I buy 3 more 17 rounders OR a different gun. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Besides size limits, do you use a magwell with the 17-round mags? Magwells are not allowed in IDPA SSP, but they are allowed in the ESP division.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Otherwise, if you can use the 17-round mag without a flared magwell, you should be good to go in SSP division, as long as it fits the box (max 8 3/4” x 6” x 1 5/8”, with the 17-round mag inserted).

You can still only load up the mags with 10 rounds each, though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For example, I haven't tried my M&P 9mm in IDPA and it has 17-round mags (no flared magwell) and I would be very surprised if I couldn't use that in the SSP division if I wanted to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sketched out a box on paper and it's super tight. The 17 rd mag has the "pinky rest" and that gives me a little more room. For whatever reason, my thumbs run a little high on the slide with the 15rd mags and the slide doesn't lock open on empty.
I'm not worried about the extra rounds given the division capacity. In fact, I would be fine with just buying the extended base plate used on the 17 rounder but I can't find it offered anywhere.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Chrome308 says the Pro fit's the ESP box so you're good to go. ESP and SSP are the same box. If you've got a magwell, I'd use it and shoot ESP, the mag changing time saved will make up the difference, which ain't really much. My 15 round mags with TF comp baseplates AND the magwell fit easily into the ESP/SSP box. I've got +6 extensions for USPSA because we can't buy a pistol with over a 15 round mag anymore.

My 19 round XDm 5.25 mags fit the box too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts