Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to PPQ and newish to handguns so sorry for the stupid question. Why was this pistol built so that if you put on a red dot, you lose your rear sight? Co-witness isn't a thing with Walther?

Thx

·
Registered
978 Posts
New to PPQ and newish to handguns so sorry for the stupid question. Why was this pistol built so that if you put on a red dot, you lose your rear sight? Co-witness isn't a thing with Walther. Thx
Good question. I also have a poly Q5 with a reflex sight and wish I could co-witness with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Two reasons (besides cost and complexity)

1) Did you see the irons they do put on the gun? Those are a lot nicer than the non-adjustable basic sort you'd get if the gun was trying to allow for both.

As a 5" match gun, the nicer irons are what most people will use, as I doubt most people would put an optic on the gun anyway.

2) Its marketed as more of a competition gun and not a duty gun where the backup irons would be a requirement.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Two reasons (besides cost and complexity)

1) Did you see the irons they do put on the gun? Those are a lot nicer than the non-adjustable basic sort you'd get if the gun was trying to allow for both.

As a 5" match gun, the nicer irons are what most people will use, as I doubt most people would put an optic on the gun anyway.

2) Its marketed as more of a competition gun and not a duty gun where the backup irons would be a requirement.

Everyone I shoot action pistol events with that own a Q5 including me, have switched over to an optic. We're all old with failing eyesight and the red dot keeps us competitive longer.

·
Read Only
147 Posts
Eyesight aside, the Vortex Venom sitting on this gun is basically just putting an endless amount of bullets through the same hole at 20 yards. And that's a pretty ****ty red dot as far as they go. If it was a carry gun, I would have definitely left the factory plate/iron sights on it, but it isn't so....

It's also worth pointing out that the vortex Venom has white marks on the sight itself where the iron sights would be so that if the dot did disappear you still have a reference. I have checked and it is still accurate enough for a carry weapon using the marks on the sight in the place of a rear sight. If you're shooting competition and the dot disappears my suggestion is to upgrade the red dot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Because my Q5SF was going to be a dedicated competition pistol for USPSA CO. One of the first things I did when setting it up was to remove the front sight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reason is in the name "MATCH' which means it is made for the use in competition!!!! Don't co witness in competition.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As a competitive shooter I would note this about the Q5. It’s a gun designed for two purposes...to shoot in Production and to also shoot in Carry Optics. That makes the gun unique especially for someone who wants one gun with the option to shoot in both. It does one well and the other OK.

For the most part there are four classes. Production, Carry Optics, Limited and Open. There are others as well.

As a production gun, it is not the best option. Why? Well because something like a CZ 75 (Shadow 2) would be a much better choice. However, you can’t use a CZ in carry optics without spending a lot more money cutting it for an optic and taking weight off the slide.

The Shadow 2 is probably the best production gun on the planet. It’s not a good Limited gun and would be a terrible open gun which is ruled mostly by STI. Unless you are using a 40 in Limited you are at a disadvantage because of the way scoring is done.

Using the Q5 in carry optic is really what the gun was made for. This is why the slide has cuts in it. The gun is legal in carry optics. Slap an optic on a Shadow 2 and you can’t shoot in carry optics without milking the slide.

As to co witness or not to co witness, it’s not needed and makes for a much more usable design to just be able to remove the entire rear sight plate. This is another attribute that makes the gun easier to swap between classes and to be able to do this without ever changing sights....just a plate and really no reason to Rezero the sights.

So when someone says “I want to buy a Q5” I always ask “why?” It’s a great range toy for someone who wants to get a gun capable of using an optic, but it is really a gun designed to compete in carry optics.

Keep in mind, rules are constantly changing so it’s hard to keep up.

For production, as I said earlier, you can’t beat a CZ 75 platform. For CO, the Q5 is a great choice or a Sig X5. In Limited the CZ TSO in 40 is one of the best and in Open, 2011s like the STI. Slap a Magwell on a Q5 and it is now an Open gun, but you just showed up to a gun fight with a knife. If you want to be a contender, you would not be able to keep pace with the 2011s.

Sure there are many others out there. Heck, some top shooters use Glocks. There are many ways to build a contender.

Personally, I have a Q5 and a fully Cagonized Shadow 2 cut for an optic. I am adding a second slide and plan to shoot the same gun both in Production and in Carry Optics. I plan to keep the Q5 for now but may get retired......IDK yet.

I also plan to use a Sig P210 which I pick up tomorrow which may find its way as a production gun for me or just bullseye.....I don’t know. Would be even fun to use it in steel plate too where capacity won’t matter so much.

So either buy what you want and have fun, or buy with a specific plan to complete.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
One more thing.....because this was really purpose of the original question.......

Co witness is really not a “thing” among many of the shooters I know. In fact, many take off the front sights because they are in the way. I leave mine on only for a reference point, but frankly....if you can’t find the dot or the battery goes dead, your screwed anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts