Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called Walther last week to get a new recoil spring because I'm up around 10k rounds and had a few malfunctions for what looked like weak spring pressure and thought it was time for a new recoil spring. Apparently the "48 Newton" or original orange q5 recoil spring is no longer available and they are only issuing the gray "50 newton" spring. They sent me one as a replacement.
Anyone have any insight on this, I ran 300 or so rounds the last 2 days through it and I had several stove pipes, it is worth noting that I also had a few stove pipes when I had my gun new so maybe it's just breaking in a new spring. I saw there is 1 shop that still has the original orange spring in stock and am wondering if it's worth picking it up but at 59 bucks seems expensive

·
Registered
322 Posts
Likely just needs a little break-in time.

Shoot some NATO or +P loads, couple hundred should suffice and/or, you could lock slide back and leave it overnight or so, as clearly based on Newtons a little more stout than the original.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I shoot all different grains in it, usually 115 or 147 for the q5 and I save the Winchester white box for my comped guns, recoil is noticeable in the q5 and the 147 is a better choice for competition in it. I'll try leaving the slide locked back for a day or 2 I'm getting some custom stipple work done on Thursday

I've had issues in the past with freedom 147 hp because they are loaded so weak but that was early on in my q5 and just one box it ran all the freedom ammo I put through it after that no problem, I had jamming issues in my p09 with a comp so went to Winchester white box and lawman 147 for competition in that gun

·
Registered
978 Posts
My Q5 came with a 17lb recoil spring. I ordered a 20lb spring from Stainless Steel Guide rods, installed it and it works 100%, with my AE 124 grain ammo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can operate the slide manually and keep the slide locked back when not using. This will save the ammo expense. Walmart also sells a Winchester 150 round pack of 9mm Nato 124gr FMJ (ME 1200 fps & ME 396 ft-lbs) #USA9NATO for $29 out the door price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts