Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy yall,

Ive noticed I get a little too much muzzle flip on Q5 Match. With regular sights it aint all that bad, but with a 3MOA RDS its very noticeable. I found some guy on YT that soots for competition and he says that he mounted a light on his gun to reduce it. Are any of you guys running anything like that? Will one of those aluminum magazine wells and the large mags they sell for em help?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The light might work if its heavy enough but it might be awkward. Doubt the mag well would do much as it doesn't weigh much and its attached at the wrong end to help with muzzle flip.

Easy fix is to practice enough so it doesn't bother you. Whole hog fix would be extended threaded barrel with a compensator attached.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Watch some YouTube videos by ten time world champion Bob Vogel on controlling recoil. I also have a Q5 Match with a Vortex Venom on it and I'm 74, 160lbs and if I can learn to control recoil, anyone can. Technique will greatly reduce it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another option that shouldd help is a tungsten guide rod. Kinda pricy, but less than the other options mentioned. I agree that the magwell wouldn't help due to its position. I do have a laser/light combo and don't notice much of a difference. I admit, I have it for totally different reasons though and wasn't focusing on muzzle flip when I added it. If you want it for the laser and light function though Id highly recommend the Spartan...I love mine.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Another option that shouldd help is a tungsten guide rod. Kinda pricy, but less than the other options mentioned.
I've tried the tungsten guide rod and though it weighs four times what the plastic one does, it seems to not make any difference in recoil. The plastic one weighs less than an ounce, so the tungsten one weighs about 3 ounces. Not enough to notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Watch some YouTube videos by ten time world champion Bob Vogel on controlling recoil. I also have a Q5 Match with a Vortex Venom on it and I'm 74, 160lbs and if I can learn to control recoil, anyone can. Technique will greatly reduce it.
I totally agree on the Vogel video. Another guy to watch is Jerry Miculek. He's got a few videos out there about recoil control and grip as well.

·
Premium Member
13,799 Posts
Yep, forget about adding weight to the front of the pistol. Watch the above recommended videos and learn how to grip/hold the pistol.

I know a guy that shoots a PPQ 45 'one handed'. He doesn't complain about muzzle flip, and he also blows the center out of the target.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
It isn't just grip. Many folks get so caught up with grip they forget about stance.

Feet firmly planted directly under your shoulders (if possible), weight slightly forward of your center of gravity so you are slightly forward when you have fully presented your weapon. Knees in this position will be bent slightly as well. Feet should be flat.

This stance will allow you a way to diminish flip. It acts like a shock absorber. And yes you will stay on target I promise.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It isn't just grip. Many folks get so caught up with grip they forget about stance.

Feet firmly planted directly under your shoulders (if possible), weight slightly forward of your center of gravity so you are slightly forward when you have fully presented your weapon. Knees in this position will be bent slightly as well. Feet should be flat.

This stance will allow you a way to diminish flip. It acts like a shock absorber. And yes you will stay on target I promise.
Great on a static range for new shooters, but not so much during IDPA/USPSA type events. Shooting seated, on the move or from behind barricades eliminates stance from the equation. This also can apply to real life shootouts.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Once you have mastered that stance you'll find you can use that in a mobile situation. I do and find it works extremely well.

I use this as the basis for real world application. It hasn't let me down yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another option that shouldd help is a tungsten guide rod. Kinda pricy, but less than the other options mentioned. I agree that the magwell wouldn't help due to its position. I do have a laser/light combo and don't notice much of a difference. I admit, I have it for totally different reasons though and wasn't focusing on muzzle flip when I added it. If you want it for the laser and light function though Id highly recommend the Spartan...I love mine.

Why is your gun so different from mine? Mine came with flush fit mags and a blue trigger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I use the combat grip and practice dry firing constantly, so Im not sure its the grip. It wont hurt to go over the videos the above people were mentioning. Stance on the other hand is something I constantly catch myself not doing properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great on a static range for new shooters, but not so much during IDPA/USPSA type events. Shooting seated, on the move or from behind barricades eliminates stance from the equation. This also can apply to real life shootouts.
The nonstatic environment is the reason Im wanting to get into competition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why is your gun so different from mine? Mine came with flush fit mags and a blue trigger.
Its the standard PPQ 5" M1...not the Q5. I love the M1 paddle mag release, not sure why, but I do. My slide should be a little different too.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
A good stance will certainly help when you start competitions. You may find you'll be more likely to be well centered and have better balance allowing for more natural and fluid motion.
It won't hurt to work on it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
A good stance will certainly help when you start competitions. You may find you'll be more likely to be well centered and have better balance allowing for more natural and fluid motion.
It won't hurt to work on it.
Where is good stance really shines, is during a Steel Challenge, just rotate at the waist.
It is useful for many action shooting events, but when sitting, ducking behind cover or fast movement is involved, it does becomes secondary. You just don't have time to get into a good stance. Another thing that seems to go out the window when the timer buzzes is trigger reset. You just don't have the time to pay attention to it. That's why it helps to have a gun with a short take-up and reset and get to learn it.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
As the TOs say if you haven't mastered the fundamentals you'll never get past beginner.

Everything stems from the fundamentals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bob Vogel is an amazing shooter, as is Jerry Miculeck, and he handles recoil and muzzle flip a completely different way. You can not shoot some guns the way Bob Vogel teaches. His Glock 34 with his hands works for him. But it is only one way. I still use a push pull and put my unused pointing finger on the front of the trigger guard. I can shoot revolvers and all other guns that way. It is literally impossible to shoot a S&W 686 like he teaches, but Jerry Miculeck can shoot anything and is arguably the best of all time. Use the Bob Vogel grip on a revolver, and if it is a 357 magnum, you are on your way to the hospital with some burnt, messed up fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Bob Vogel is an amazing shooter, as is Jerry Miculeck, and he handles recoil and muzzle flip a completely different way. You can not shoot some guns the way Bob Vogel teaches. His Glock 34 with his hands works for him. But it is only one way. I still use a push pull and put my unused pointing finger on the front of the trigger guard. I can shoot revolvers and all other guns that way. It is literally impossible to shoot a S&W 686 like he teaches, but Jerry Miculeck can shoot anything and is arguably the best of all time. Use the Bob Vogel grip on a revolver, and if it is a 357 magnum, you are on your way to the hospital with some burnt, messed up fingers.

I do have to agree with you, as you are absolutely right. Even small guns like my Sig P365 have to be held slightly different than my Q5. I have to have my support hand back further on the grip with the smaller one.
Mike Seeklander also has another method that works for him. He uses a grip that it like unscrewing the lid off a jar, torqueing his hands against each other. I just started incorporating this, along with torqueing my arms against each other like Bob Vogel does and it seems to be working. It's going to take a lot of reps to be on automatic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's what one guy did asking about a similar issue:

I have always been curious as to the effectiveness of weight based compensators like that on a friend's USP.

Make your own? A 1" Picatinny ring and a piece of scrap bar stock sounds like it would be adequate to satisfy your curiosity.

Great advice! I did just that. After I polished the steel bar a bit and rounded off the edges I coated it with black glossy Duracoat. Range report coming up this week:

The recoil with this weight is a joke! You can dump a mag like a 22 and never leave the target. Also, the video is kind of funny as a piece of hot brass landed on my shooting glasses and tried to cook me.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/4e_oERS3d5Q

1 - 20 of 22 Posts