Walther Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Emailed them on Tuesday and got the new plunger for my Q5 in the mail yesterday. It does feel smoother than the silver one. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I have had my q5 since about a year after it came out. I to have a “gritty” feeling trigger during take up. I never really noticed it before until I shot someones SF Q5. I have ordered the Sprinco trigger spring kit and it should be here this week. In the meantime I decided to break the Q down and polish all the contact surfaces while I wait. I have about 8k rounds thru the Q so far so most of the contact points were smooth but I hit everything with some rubbing compound and polished with a dremel so it now mirror Smooth. After I put everything back together and was testing it out with the slide off I noticed that the “grittiness “ was coming from the back of the trigger bar opposite where the trigger spring attaches. The bar is rubbing up against the middle of the seat cage. I took my punch and held the trigger bar off the middle of the sear cage while pulling the trigger and the grittiness disappeared. So my question is is the trigger bar supposed to rub there in which case I’ll have to polish the crap out of both points of contact there or can I bend the bar away from rubbing ever slightly? I tried to look at the pictures in the beginning of this thread but the links are no longer working. When I get the new springs this week I don’t see them helping where I found the grittiness. Any help on if I can bend the bar there is greatly appreciate. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Email sent this morning requesting the new style plunger.
Someone, elsewhere, said Walther wanted him to send the whole gun back.
Hopefully they will just drop the new black plunger in the mail.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I called and emailed Walther about this and got the same reply from two different people, “We are no longer sending the anti-friction safeties as some other
modifications may be required to get them to spec.”

They want the complete pistol sent back with roughly three-week turnaround time. If it’s not deemed a warranty issue, then they’ll charge a fee they won’t quote over the phone. Asking to purchase part number 2840685 PPQ Anti Friction Striker Safety (Safety Plunger) resulted in the same response. They won’t sell the part by itself.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
They want the complete pistol sent back with roughly three-week turnaround time. If it’s not deemed a warranty issue, then they’ll charge a fee they won’t quote over the phone. Asking to purchase part number 2840685 PPQ Anti Friction Striker Safety (Safety Plunger) resulted in the same response. They won’t sell the part by itself.
I suggest you send the pistol in but there is an alternative. Earl's has the plunger for $35 and the spring is no charge. They ship FedEx which is another $15!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I suggest you send the pistol in but there is an alternative. Earl's has the plunger for $35 and the spring is no charge. They ship FedEx which is another $15!
Well, my slide assy and frame are mismatched serial numbers so I doubt it’ll be under warranty. I’m going to try the Sprinco 87886 safety plunger spring for $11 shipped to see if it smooths out the take-up. It’s funny that people describe the take-up as gritty because it doesn’t feel like there’s sand in there. It’s just that the trigger travel doesn’t feel consistent and almost tricks me into thinking I’m at the sear when it’s actually fighting the safety plunger.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Well, my slide assy and frame are mismatched serial numbers so I doubt it’ll be under warranty.

I’m going to try the Sprinco 87886 safety plunger spring for $11 shipped to see if it smooths out the take-up. It’s funny that people describe the take-up as gritty because it doesn’t feel like there’s sand in there. It’s just that the trigger travel doesn’t feel consistent and almost tricks me into thinking I’m at the sear when it’s actually fighting the safety plunger.
First, I suggest you call Ft Smith and verify there's an issue involving serial numbers. I suggest that because when Ft Smith exchanges a barrel the serial number is almost always different....mine is.

Next.....did you see OF's post #64? You should read his link because there are several locations including the striker safety & safety spring that can/will cause that gritty feel.

Now, for the striker safety and how it can lend itself to a gritty feel. First, you need to be sure the hole that the spring and plunger are in is completely free of grime. Next, be certain the safety spring has not been damaged or is in a fully compressed state. Finally, make certain the recess in the plunger is also free of grime.

Even with all the above accomplished the safety plunger and spring can still create a gritty feel. When the trigger bar tab moves rearward and contacts the safety "horn" it does so at an angle and creates a vector force. That vector is both down and to the rear of the slide.....this can be viewed by turning the pistol upside down, shining a light into the mag well and very slowly pulling the trigger. The safety will initially move inward and almost stop until a greater rearward pressure is applied to the trigger. That will move the safety plunger just a bit more before the break occurs. The vector force can cause the safety spring to buckle very slightly which in itself creates a gritty feel. That's why those who have replaced the factory plunger have been able to remove most of the grittiness from that location.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I received the Sprinco 87886 safety plunger spring and installed it. It makes a marked improvement to the feel of the trigger take-up. I can hear the sliding of the trigger bar against the safety plunger more than feel it, now. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the Sprinco spring could be about half the weight of the stock Walther spring. Not sure it was worth it, but I was sort of chasing the smoothest possible feel for the Q5 upper I just got.

In terms of feel for trigger take-up, I'd rank from smoothest to least as below:

1) depressed safety plunger with a tool or no contact with trigger bar
2) Sprinco safety plunger spring w/silver safety plunger (Q5 Match slide)
3) Walther safety plunger spring w/black safety plunger (4" M1 slide)

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
In terms of feel for trigger take-up, I'd rank from smoothest to least as below:

1) depressed safety plunger with a tool or no contact with trigger bar
2) Sprinco safety plunger spring w/silver safety plunger (Q5 Match slide)
3) Walther safety plunger spring w/black safety plunger (4" M1 slide)

Is the grit completely removed when you depress the plunger and pull the trigger?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is the grit completely removed when you depress the plunger and pull the trigger?
Yes, all gone. It’s still plastic and metal sliding together (not ball bearings or anything), but it’s a consistent sliding instead of the start-stop hesitation when the plunger is there.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Yes, all gone. It’s still plastic and metal sliding together (not ball bearings or anything), but it’s a consistent sliding instead of the start-stop hesitation when the plunger is there.
I am confused?? If plastic and metal are sliding together I would expect you to say the grittiness is still present. It sounds like you should use OF's suggested smoothing/sanding procedure first until everything feels "smooth" with the safety plunger pressed fully inward. Then the focus turns to the plunger+spring.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts