Walther Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
First I suggest you put at least 500 rounds through the gun before you make any decisions. Maxxtech is east European manufactured it is an attempt by TULA to get past Americans dislike for steel cased ammo. If you look inside you will notice it has a case over a narrower a sleeve (I’m not sure if is steel). So they are using the same questionable powder used in other Russia manufacturers. You aren’t doing your gun any favors by using this ammo. To your issue that inner sleeve (?) reduces the amount of power that can be loaded in the cases. I’m not surprised you are experiencing signs of under charged loads. If you are looking for reliable, inexpensive 9mm ammo look at Selliers and Bellot or Fiocchi. Both burn very clean and are very consistent and in the same price range as the Maxxtech.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, went to the range today. I had 40 rounds left of the MaxxTech stuff so I loaded that up and for the last 5 rounds of the last magazine, I loaded Gold Dot 124gr +p, short barrel rounds (PD ammo for my Sig P938).

First magazine I had 1 jam, but that was my fault. I was bench rested working on the sights and I got lazy with my off hand thumb (slide hit it)...

Second magazine ran NP. But I don't recall whether the slide locked after the last round or not??

Third magazine; I started to count rounds so that I would know when I hit the Gold Dots but as usual, I got caught up in what I was doing and forgot. But good grief, there was NO NEED to count rounds. There was no doubt when I hit the first of the Gold Dots.

I don't think I've ever loaded a mixed magazine like that before so the difference between a normal and a hot rounds has never felt so prominent. If you haven't done that before, you should try it. And BTW, the slide definitely locked after the last Gold Dot...

I purchased another 100 rounds of PMC Bronze at the range. I ran 90 rounds through the gun with no jams and locked slides after the last round of each magazine.

So it seems all is right with the world this evening.
:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
locking back the slide won't do anything even if it was locked back for 20 yrs. Compressing a spring does not cause a spring to loosen. Only cycling a spring will do that. That's why you can leave magazines fully loaded for years (rust free) and they will function just fine. Compression causing a spring to lose its "spring" is a myth.
You can believe what you want to, it's a free country.
But in my experience, my new guns rack the slides easier (and some of them have been pretty damned stiff) after a couple of nights of being locked open, rinse and repeat, before their round counts got into the break-in periods.
it's not a matter of belief. This has been scientifically tested and proven many times over. There are dozens of sources you can easily search. But nevertheless have a good day gentlemen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thought I would report back since I surpassed 1000 rounds through my Q5 after the initial post. As suggested by a few folks on here, I purchased 1000 rounds of Fiocchi from TargetSports and I have to say I've not had a single jam and the slide has locked back every time. And I don't have any reason to go back to buying the cheap ammo because the Fiocchi from TS actually cost less than I was paying for the "cheap ammo". Go figure...

Thanks to those that post on here and pass along some great information to help a guy out!

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
it's not a matter of belief. This has been scientifically tested and proven many times over. There are dozens of sources you can easily search. But nevertheless have a good day gentlemen.
It is a matter of the design of the spring, and just how much compression we are talking about.

I can put up sources that state that magazine springs fail on pistols like an FN FNX and a Glock 17 simply by loading them to capacity, and I too would suggest that locking the slide back and loading the mags to capacity for a few days does make a noticeable difference in the felt spring rate of brand new pistols.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Break in secret... Oil/ grease the friction points, get a good snap cap, get on a boring conference call for an hour (MUTE is key).... Cycle slide 300x per call over 3 weeks, pull trigger, cycle slide 1/2 inch or less, don't eject. 3 boring calls, break-in done...

·
Registered
270 Posts
My q5 had 5 or so stove pipes in the first few hundred rounds with freedom remanufactured ammo and after that around 10k now and not one more. Run it some more should be fine. I've run everything through it not just good stuff. Make sure to disassemble and clean the striker assembly every 2k or so, you might get a ftf otherwise

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My q5 had 5 or so stove pipes in the first few hundred rounds with freedom remanufactured ammo and after that around 10k now and not one more. Run it some more should be fine. I've run everything through it not just good stuff. Make sure to disassemble and clean the striker assembly every 2k or so, you might get a ftf otherwise
Seems like our break-in experience was similar. The Q5 slide spring seems a little on the stiff side which I guess makes sense for a speed gun that looks to be targeted toward the competition market. No jams on the first 1k rounds post break-in. So far so good on next 1k rounds...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.