Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the Falcons loose another game yesterday, I took my brand new Q5 Match to the range. Only had 30 minutes before closing so was only able to put 90 rounds through it.

In those 90 rounds, I had about 3 or 4 jams. That is NOT very good!

Naturally, I use a cheap ammo at the range.

MAXXTECH
Caliber: 9mm
Bullet Weight: 115 Grain
Bullet Type: Full Metal Jacket Projectile
Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps
Muzzle Energy: 323 ft/lbs Boxer primed
New Reloadable Brass Cases

Anyone had issues running cheap ammo through their PPQ M2/Q5??

Taurus PT99, Sig P938, Glock 19 seem to run it just fine...

Also, the slide didn't lock open when firing the last round in the mag. It fulled cycled as if it had another round in the camber. Anyone had that issue too??

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's your clue. That's probably because the slide isn't going back far enough for the slide lock to catch the cutout in the slide. What that means is, your ammo is a little on the weak side.

No matter what the listed specs are for this 'cheap' ammo....its obviously a little too weak to run in your Q.

I'd say the aggravation is not worth the $1.00 savings per box.

I could use a hotter round for a while. That will certainly speed up the break in period. Then I can go back to the cheap stuff later and see what happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My PPS and both PPQs have been flawless with numerous types of ammo from cheap Russian steel to spendy SD ammo? 115 to 147 grain. Soft Freedom Munitions reloads as well.

Load your magazines to capacity and leave them loaded for 3-4 days so the springs take a set. This may solve your problems.
Regards,
Jeff
IF I have a spring issue, it's going to be in the slide spring not the magazines. Thanks for the feedback on the ammo Jeff!

I'm going to put another 100 or so rounds through it before I start tinkering.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are a prime member, TargetSports.com has 9mm Remington brass for under 16 cents a round, with free shipping. Thats about as cheap as I have seen 9mm brass. 9mm steel is about 14 cents a round, Russian stuff.
For range ammo, my typical price target including shipping is 20 cents/rd. That certainly beats that. Will check it out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, went to the range today. I had 40 rounds left of the MaxxTech stuff so I loaded that up and for the last 5 rounds of the last magazine, I loaded Gold Dot 124gr +p, short barrel rounds (PD ammo for my Sig P938).

First magazine I had 1 jam, but that was my fault. I was bench rested working on the sights and I got lazy with my off hand thumb (slide hit it)...

Second magazine ran NP. But I don't recall whether the slide locked after the last round or not??

Third magazine; I started to count rounds so that I would know when I hit the Gold Dots but as usual, I got caught up in what I was doing and forgot. But good grief, there was NO NEED to count rounds. There was no doubt when I hit the first of the Gold Dots.

I don't think I've ever loaded a mixed magazine like that before so the difference between a normal and a hot rounds has never felt so prominent. If you haven't done that before, you should try it. And BTW, the slide definitely locked after the last Gold Dot...

I purchased another 100 rounds of PMC Bronze at the range. I ran 90 rounds through the gun with no jams and locked slides after the last round of each magazine.

So it seems all is right with the world this evening.
:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thought I would report back since I surpassed 1000 rounds through my Q5 after the initial post. As suggested by a few folks on here, I purchased 1000 rounds of Fiocchi from TargetSports and I have to say I've not had a single jam and the slide has locked back every time. And I don't have any reason to go back to buying the cheap ammo because the Fiocchi from TS actually cost less than I was paying for the "cheap ammo". Go figure...

Thanks to those that post on here and pass along some great information to help a guy out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My q5 had 5 or so stove pipes in the first few hundred rounds with freedom remanufactured ammo and after that around 10k now and not one more. Run it some more should be fine. I've run everything through it not just good stuff. Make sure to disassemble and clean the striker assembly every 2k or so, you might get a ftf otherwise
Seems like our break-in experience was similar. The Q5 slide spring seems a little on the stiff side which I guess makes sense for a speed gun that looks to be targeted toward the competition market. No jams on the first 1k rounds post break-in. So far so good on next 1k rounds...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.