Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...some think it's tacky. But, I like it and wanted to share!

I went and found the Testor's paint that matches the blue trigger on the Q5 as close as possible (as a side effect, I now own like 10 different blue model paints). I think it looks really nice if you ask me. It's not perfect, but it's not bad for my first attempt at a color fill job. Took 3 coats and about a week.

Anyone think I went too far? It's my gun for Action Pistol, so I figured it'd be cool advertising for Walther. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea. It worked on my computer. Clearly Google Photos and the forum isn't compatible. I'll find another image share site.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
My opinion on this is, I don't much care for coloring pistols. I look at it the same way as if someone was to color a screwdriver, but even worse, as a firearm could be considered a much more dangerous tool, that I think should have a certain seriousness and respect given to it that this coloring takes away from it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My opinion on this is, I don't much care for coloring pistols. I look at it the same way as if someone was to color a screwdriver, but even worse, as a firearm could be considered a much more dangerous tool, that I think should have a certain seriousness and respect given to it that this coloring takes away from it.
I would normally agree, but serious tools don't come with blue triggers and billboard sized model names on the slide.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I've had colored screwdrivers from Snap-On.

I didn't feel the need to color them more.

I think it's more the thought process behind the coloring of firearms that bothers me. This, while claiming that I don't necessarily think that anyone else should care what I think, just as long as they take their firearms seriously, and don't treat them like toys that can be colored.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've had colored screwdrivers from Snap-On.

I didn't feel the need to color them more.

I think it's more the thought process behind the coloring of firearms that bothers me. This, while claiming that I don't necessarily think that anyone else should care what I think, just as long as they take their firearms seriously, and don't treat them like toys that can be colored.
They are toys. Zinc P22s, "combat" pistols with holes drilled in the slides, ridiculously light trigger pulls, untested and completely unreliable "defense" pistols (CCP), bump stocks, Bin Laden printed targets, bright blue triggers and "tactical" pants.

I think it is weird that you would condone people buying the equivalent of an impractical sports car and then don't like them putting pin stripes on it.

I guess I would much rather people acknowledge that they buy guns for fun rather than pretending that we're all deeply invested in our militia procurement duties. A little colored paint seems much less absurd to me spending $300 to have have your pistol camouflaged - one of those is far more out of touch with reality than the other.

We like our guns for their aesthetics as much as anything else. This is the OP's wood grips or Star Wars kydex holster.

·
Registered
772 Posts
BTW OP, if you want to find a color match enamel for cheap, go to Walgreens and buy nail polish next time.

When you get bored with the look, acetone or even rubbing alcohol will dissolve it easily.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I would normally agree, but serious tools don't come with blue triggers and billboard sized model names on the slide.
My Q5s have been completely reliable over thousands of rounds. I dont baby them, meaning I dont clean them much. I have no doubt if called upon for serious purpose
they would perform well. The color of the trigger would not matter a bit.

If I were attempting to refight the battle of the somme the holes in the slide might bother me. Im not and they dont.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My Q5s have been completely reliable over thousands of rounds. I dont baby them, meaning I dont clean them much. I have no doubt if called upon for serious purpose
they would perform well. The color of the trigger would not matter a bit.

If I were attempting to refight the battle of the somme the holes in the slide might bother me. Im not and they dont.
Great! I doubt blue paint will affect any of that, either.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
They are toys. Zinc P22s, "combat" pistols with holes drilled in the slides, ridiculously light trigger pulls, untested and completely unreliable "defense" pistols (CCP), bump stocks, Bin Laden printed targets, bright blue triggers and "tactical" pants.
Who says I "approve" of any of these?

I don't own any pistols, targets, or pants with those characteristics.

I think it is weird that you would condone people buying the equivalent of an impractical sports car and then don't like them putting pin stripes on it.
Pin stripes served a purpose historically, and the difference is that most cars come from the factory with paint, whereas most firearms do not.

I guess I would much rather people acknowledge that they buy guns for fun rather than pretending that we're all deeply invested in our militia procurement duties. A little colored paint seems much less absurd to me spending $300 to have have your pistol camouflaged - one of those is far more out of touch with reality than the other.
As long as it serves a real purpose, and if that is a good purpose, then I don't have an issue with it. If someone was to go hunting with a camouflaged shotgun and they wanted a pistol to match, I wouldn't personally have an issue with it.

Then again, I would question why someone would do something like paint a pink "Hello Kitty" theme on a defensive pistol, where the person they are pulling the piston on, may think that it is a toy instead of a pistol. I also wish those who put a "born to kill" striker plate on their Glock pistols, luck, if they ever have to use that pistol in a defensive encounter, and go to court.

Sorry, but I'm all about treating the firearm as if it is a firearm, and not a toy. That is my opinion, and others are going to have to just live with it, just as I have to live with the fact that some are going to paint their pistols. Though, I do question the mindset of the person who would paint a pistol, in the same way that I'd question the mindset of someone who painted a nuclear missile launch button pink, and in a "Hello Kitty" theme. They may have a certain respect for the weapon that I just don't see, but you'll have to excuse me if in my mind, I automatically question that fact.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I suspect this wouldn't gain approval either...��. I want this done on my Glock 22 Armageddon gun.
https://lmgfirearms.files.wordpress....2/img_7007.jpg
You don't need anyone's approval, but if this is a defensive pistol, I would advise against it, because I do care for others, and I think this is good advice.

Sometimes just pulling out a pistol finishes a defensive encounter. I wouldn't want to shoot if I didn't have to, for many reasons, and I surely wouldn't want the assailant to think I was wielding anything other than a pistol. That looks like a toy.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts