Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZRT recoil spring guide rod and a ISMI Glock flat wire reduced power recoil spring that I want to install in my Q5. The IMSI spring has 5 more coils than the Walther spring, so I'm considering cutting 5 coils off. So far, its been pretty difficult to get the reduced power spring and the guide rod installed, so I'm interested in using the Walther assembly with the reduced power spring. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the Walther spring assembly apart. Any suggestions? Thanks, Doug

·
Premium Member
13,799 Posts
Rooster, if the Walther factory rsa comes apart, that means its broken....they weren't designed/made to be disassembled.

If you have the ZRT recoil spring guide rod and a ISMI Glock flat wire reduced power recoil spring installed in your Q5, have you shot it with that combo? Will the slide retract all the way before the recoil spring gets into 'coil bind'? Why do you want to whack off 5 coils?

Is your ZRT guide rod of the 'captured' or 'non-captured' variety? I'm thinking you got the non-captured. If you have the non-captured ZRT guide rod, a trick I use is to use a rod that'll stick/fit inside the recoil spring. I've used plastic rods, wooden dowel rods, bic pens....what ever fits inside the recoil spring. You'll need a rod of about 6" or so...longer is ok...not needed, but ok. Stick your dowel rod into the hole in the front of your slide...you know, the hole the guide rod will stick thru. Now, with about 3" or so stick thru the guide rod hole, thread your spring over the dowel. Stick your ZRT guide rod into the other end of the spring. Both, the guide rod and the dowel are now inserted into the spring, from opposite ends and the two are touching each other. The dowel is now a guide rod for your ZRT guide rod. So, carefully start pushing your ZRT forward as you keep your finger and thumb on either side of the spring where the two rods meet. keep pushing the ZRT forward, while guiding it with your other hand until the dowel falls out the other end. DONE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my gosh! What a smart idea! I used a chop stick and installed the guide rod and spring with no problems. Thank you so much for the help!:)

·
Premium Member
13,799 Posts
My pleasure rooster.

I've not used the ISMI Glock flat wire reduced power recoil spring. But I have used springs from Wilson Combat. One thing I'd suggest is to put your stock recoil spring in your Q, rack the slide all the way to the rear and mark how far the slide will go. I just put a piece of masking tape on the frame, rack the slide all the way back then mark with a pencil whee the front of the slide is.

Next, install your aftermarket rsa, rack the slide back and see if it'll go back to that mark you made on the tape. Just using the redneck method to check for coil bind.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just installed a 20lb stainless steel captured recoil spring in my Q5. I use strictly factory 124 grain ammo and not only does it run perfectly, I notice slightly less muzzle flip. The factory spring is 17lb.

·
Registered
978 Posts
^^^^^ R U runnn' a steel guide rod from Stainless Steel Guide Rods? And a Wilson Combat spring?
Yes I am and it works well. Instead of throwing the brass 9-10 feet, it's now about 5 feet, muzzle flip is slightly less and I'm sure the slide isn't battering the frame as much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just installed a 20lb stainless steel captured recoil spring in my Q5. I use strictly factory 124 grain ammo and not only does it run perfectly, I notice slightly less muzzle flip. The factory spring is 17lb.
Interesting. My experience is limited, but given the ease with which something like return springs are replaced it would be nice to have some kind of table that gave variables and ranges for spring versus cartridge/bullet/velocity.

Wouldn't just be helpful for the competition and target users either. Carry, duty, and home defence users should be using one load for practice and service.

While the firearm built to reliably feed and cycle the lightest loads while still capable of handling the hottest heaviest loads means everyone can pick one up and fire the ammunition on hand, it seems a firearm best tuned to the ammunition used would be of interest to anyone.

Alternately, is there any advantage to tuning a single spring compared to installing a multi-spring system like those from Springco or DPM?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts