Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, first post here.

I've got a 2018 (BI) manufactured Q5 Match and I'm happy with it except for the high amount of resistance during takeup. It's definitely the often discussed firing pin block. It's not gritty, but the resistance is so much that it almost feels like a false wall. I'm still getting used to the gun and there are definitely times when I stopped when the trigger bar hit the FPB thinking I hit the wall - it's really that heavy.

I stuck a chop stick up the gun's butt to depress the FPB and dry firing without it being a factor was so much nicer.

I've read through the threads on the subject and there seems to be a few different suggested springs, but I'm not sure if there's a community consensus on the "preferred" one at this point.

As far as I could gather, the options are:
  • Sprinco "TSK Competition Trigger Kit" from Brownells
  • One of the specific Sodemann springs referenced in this oft-cited post.

Does anyone want to suggest one over the other? If ordering from Sodemann is preferred, which of the two springs imaoldfart listed should I go with?

FWIW This is a range gun only. It will never be carried, nor do I compete.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
I'm thinking you have something else wrong. The FPB shouldn't add THAT much additional resistance....certainly, not as much as you're describing. First, I'd remove the FPB, clean the hole, inspect for burrs in the whole and on the FPB surfaces. Also check that the FPB spring is installed correctly and not kinked. Lastly, ensure ALL trigger pivot/contact points are lubed....including the FPB.

Additionally, see if you can try the trigger on some other Q's. They should ALL be really close to the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the SpringCo trigger spring and firing block spring. The kit solves that issue but together they’re almost too light because without filing the trigger or addressing the trigger safety spring, you have to pull the trigger very very straight back eight on the trigger safety blade or it wont disengage the trigger safety, because the trigger safety spring is almost as heavy as the trigger pull.

I’ve been treating it as a training issue and am 80% there. It still takes some thought when shooting one handed.

I haven’t tried just the block spring with the stock trigger spring, but Im guessing that would probably solve my issue with slightly higher trigger force.

Anyway springs are relatively cheap and completely reversible, so give one a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I took out the FPB today, cleaned it up, lubed it up, made absolutely sure the spring is seated correctly - and there was no change. It always moved very smoothly. I think it's just an especially strong spring. Even pressing it with my finger with the slide off takes a good bit of force.

I rented a regular PPQ a while ago before deciding on the Q5, but unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention to know whether getting past the FPB there took a similar amount of force.

When I depress the FPB with a stick up the mag well I'm super happy with the trigger, so I don't think I would swap out the trigger return spring.

I guess what I'm looking for is whether the FPB spring from the Sprinco kit is comparable to the Sodemann spring.

Ordering from Sodemann looks like it would be $39 due to minimum order of $20 (and I have no need of other springs), while the Brownells kit would be $22. So obviously I'd prefer the Sprinco kit, but I don't know whether the FPB spring from that kit will give me the reduction I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
there are definitely times when I stopped when the trigger bar hit the FPB thinking I hit the wall - it's really that heavy.

I don't know what to say. I've been on this forum for a few years...made lots of post, read lots of post, and I've never seen anyone describe the trigger pull the way you're describing.

So, I'm kinda at a loss. I'd need to have your gun to do some looking/testing my own self.

If it were me, I'd get the Sprinco kit. Its a good kit and I've not heard any complaints...only compliments. If, for some reason, you don't like it, I'll bet you could sell it on this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could be especially picky :) but here's a video demonstrating it.

There's a little takeup with very little resistance until the trigger bar hits the FPB, which you can see and hear. Then there's a very noticeable increase in force required to hit the real wall.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
The movement I'm seeing in the video appears to mimic ever PPQ I've ever seen. I still think you need to compare your Q to another Q....side by side. Finger one, then finger the other one.

If your Q is seems to be heavier than the other Q, I'd think it needs to go back to Walther for a looksee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough. For what it's worth I'm a still new shooter. Now that I'm really trying to concentrate on my trigger pull and improve my accuracy, the non-linear takeup and extra force required to depress the FDB started to bug me.

Prior to this I'd rented a dozen different 9mms, but I was content to just yank the trigger and call it good if I was able to keep the full contents of a magazine in an 8" target at 7 yards. So I wasn't paying very close attention to their trigger behavior.

I think I will order the Sprinco kit and give it a try in any case. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Luckily for me SpringCo is local to me and only about 10 min away, so I just walked in at lunch and they hooked me up with trigger springs and custom fitted a recoil system. I think I had the first one they had seen in person. Nice people.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a PPQ with the same issue. FPB would move freely, but at some point during the trigger press there was heavy resistance just before hitting the wall. If I remember correctly, it was something like 9lbs to break through.

I polished up everything thinking it would smooth things up, and it did to an extent, but the problem, while not as bad, persisted.

Taking everything apart and examining everything closely, I couldn’t find any point where things were binding up.

I replaced the stock trigger with an Apex, and the problem was still there. I concluded that the FPB Or the milling for the FPB hole was slightly out of spec and the FPB was getting caught on one of the ledges within the FPB hole. I don’t have any proof of that, but that is all I could come up with.

I got it to the point where the false wall was barely noticeable, but was still there. Using grease in the hole and the mating surfaces between the trigger bar and FPB helped. Oil seemed to exacerbate the issue.

Don’t have the gun anymore, but aside from that I greatly enjoyed it. So much so that I’m picking up a SF soon...but will examine it really well.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a Q5 last year and went through all of the posts and trigger lightening tricks. I ended up buying a pack of 10 tiny little springs that work perfect on my FPB. I can't locate info on where I bought them. If you PM me your address, I'll drop one in an envelope and mail it to you. I doubt that I'll ever use all of the remaining 9! Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is what I did, other than the most effective mod, the trigger return spring exchange (Lanzer mod), and Lucas Gun Grease (not oil!) on the trigger bar guide/trigger bar interface.
I bought a bunch of firing pin safety springs fitting the needed specs, incl. the one imaoldfart mentioned once in the forums, from Sodemann. The Sodemann is too light for my taste (10 oz) from safety point of view, as measured by vertical push of firing pin into its hole until fully compressed (see ounce numbers below, rough technique, averaged numbers).
So, from AcxessSpring I ordered various springs of various rates, and measured, and picked one that came to 14 oz resistance, vs 22 oz stock.

This, together with the lighter trigger return spring, gave me 3 lb 4 oz trigger pull average, and a much reduced uptake shelf from FPS.

Walther Q5 Match SF firing pin block spring
- outer diameter 0.088 - 0.095
- free length 0.5 inch
stock spring (music wire (MW))

22 oz resistance to fully depressed plunger

Sodemann:

C00880100440S (stainless steel)
2.34 lb/in rate, max 0.5 lb

10 oz

AcxessSpring (TheSpringStore.com):

PC010-094-11500-MW-0500-C-N-IN
2.551 lb/in rate, max 0.724 lb
music wire, few coils

11 oz

PC012-094-17500-MW-0500-C-N-IN
3.486 lb/in rate, max 0.969 lb
music wire

14 oz chosen for Q5 SF

PC012-088-15800-SST-0500-C-N-IN
4.257 lb/in rate, max 1.071 lb
stainless

20 oz

PC012-088-17000-SST-0527-C-N-IN
3.9 lb/in rate, max 1.071 lb
stainless

20 oz

PC012-088-15800-MW-0500-C-N-IN
4.918 lb/in rate, max 1.278 lb
music wire

23 oz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting numbers Canolli

Hope you could try out the sprinco fpb spring.

Currently they were out of stock on Brownells/Ben's, I could only find a 4 lb/in spring on Amazon, or a 3.17 lb/in spring that's 0.62 in free length. Maybe cut it to 0.5 in would achieve an ideal result based on your experiments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stock fpb spring in a Q4 measured 0.472 in rather than 0.5 as in lanzer's spreadsheet. Oldfart picked a 0.44 in sodemann replacement, which would be equivalent to 2 lb/s on a .5 inch if it's linear.

Stock spring roughly measured as 5.3 lb/inch, which looks to be not far off based on Cannoli's experiment.

Been waiting on Amazon's 1.92 lb/in variant for ages. The sprinco ones are back in stock at Ben stoeger, might try them if the Amazon feels too light.

With my BI Q4, biggest improvement (gritty trigger) came from polishing the fpb channel blocking the firing pin, and firing pin itself. Greasy lubricant (pro shot) also helped. Polishing/oiling trigger bar and contact point on fpb only made it worse each time, but ease back a bit after a day.

Currently have a 3.4 lb pull at the middle (with Amazon 2.7 lb/in trs), just not as smooth and consistent as it should've been. Hoping for a smooth pull just over 3 lb with new fpb spring. Will try taking a coil off the trs at a time if it drops below 3 lb for IPSC.

All Amazon ones have really slow shipping

Amazon fpb spring in lanzer's spreadsheet, 0.44 inch 1.25 lb/in or 0.5 inch 1.08lb/in. Nothing in the spreadsheet over 1.75 lb/in
https://www.amazon.com/Compression-...r=8-11&keywords=0.088+compression+spring&th=1

0.5 inch 1.9 lb/in 316 ss instead of 302, no real difference
https://www.amazon.com/Compression-...refix=Compression+spring+0.088,aps,327&sr=8-5

0.5 inch 1.92 lb/in
https://www.amazon.com/Compression-...Y1DB6T7YHB0&psc=1&refRID=S6A99A1T9Y1DB6T7YHB0

Then it jumps to 4.08 lb/in (0.5 in). The 0.62 incher in the low 3 range but rather not to cut it and lose ground
https://www.amazon.com/Compression-...refix=Compression+spring+0.088,aps,327&sr=8-1

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the SpringCo trigger spring and firing block spring. The kit solves that issue but together they’re almost too light because without filing the trigger or addressing the trigger safety spring, you have to pull the trigger very very straight back eight on the trigger safety blade or it wont disengage the trigger safety, because the trigger safety spring is almost as heavy as the trigger pull.

I’ve been treating it as a training issue and am 80% there. It still takes some thought when shooting one handed.

I haven’t tried just the block spring with the stock trigger spring, but Im guessing that would probably solve my issue with slightly higher trigger force.

Anyway springs are relatively cheap and completely reversible, so give one a try.
I'm experiencing the same issues with the trigger safety - trigger pulls back easier than the trigger safety which causes the trigger to get stuck. Especially when having to pull the trigger at slightly unusual angles such as during the "unload and show clear" command, or removing the slide during cleaning. It's not a big deal but it's a bit annoying to the point that I'm considering going to back to stock springs.

This only started happening after installing the two springs from the Sprinco trigger kit.

Is there a way to balance this better?

Did you ever try using just a Sprinco FPB spring and a stock trigger return spring?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Misfire you could try cut a coil off the TRS at a time to see if it improves, if you have spare ones. Otherwise make sure you always have a good grip and trigger pull. Show clear doesn't countas time so just do it slowly I guess.

Haven't tried stock TRS with lightened FPB string, you should have a normal (heavy) But smoother pull, depends on your FPB.

Regarding the FPB string, I was unable to order from Ben's shop even it's just a few springs and under 100 USD (no export permit required). Brownell has a 5 weeks lead time. All the Amazon springs are either not in stock or specs are somewhat off.

For non US buyers, I found the sodemann European site is probably the best one stop shop (25 euro shipping… but everything in stock). I just ordered the heavier, MW version of Oldfart's recommendation and will see how it pairs with the Amazon TRS.
https://www.industrial-springs.com/c00880100440m

For US buyers you have more choices by just searching the spec. There's Zoro n Raymond from back of my head, most of them have 2 to 3 weeks lead time though.
c00880100440s - stainless steel 2 to 2.3 lb/in
c00880100440m - music wire 2.8 to 3 lb/in

·
Registered
121 Posts
Misfire you could try cut a coil off the TRS at a time to see if it improves, if you have spare ones. Otherwise make sure you always have a good grip and trigger pull. Show clear doesn't countas time so just do it slowly I guess.

Haven't tried stock TRS with lightened FPB string, you should have a normal (heavy) But smoother pull, depends on your FPB.
Interesting idea, cutting off a coil until the trigger safety feels good again, getting somewhere between 3.5 - 5.0 lbs trigger pull. But I'm not sure I feel comfortable tweaking the spring end back into a proper and reliable hook again...

I actually lost a second or so due to this during a match today. I came up from behind a cover after a sprint and had just one more shot to finish the stage. But leaning out from cover I didn't have the exact right angle on the trigger and it got stuck instead of firing.

So I think I'll just go back to the stock TRS (keeping the Sprinco FPB spring).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts