Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concealing a full-size hand gun sounds a little crazy, but various You Tube reviewers claim the polymer Q5, even with the long slide, given the not-so-long grip, could be carried. Here's the scenario, I'm 6'4", 230, will be wearing a jacket and tie. In the (admittedly very unlikely) scenario it's ever needed, I would prefer a full-size gun to a compact. I work in a VERY, VERY anti-gun environment. It's crucial the gun be hidden. Is this crazy? Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
The Q5 is a very nice pistol and while it CAN be carried concealed, for me at least, it would be crazy. What if you decide to take your jacket off? Well, you can't now can you? I'd get a smaller pistol for your work CCW piece and keep the Q5 for those times not at work and in such an anti environment. I think trying to live with a big Q5 would just impose too many limitations; to me anyway.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I’m sure if you’re willing to dress around the gun you could conceal whatever you wanted, on the basis you know it’s a compromise.

I carry a Jericho 941F with a WML in AIWB. I’m 5’9” and have a belly. I carry it dressed in a black sweater and khakis, or a flannel. Never prints, but it can be awkward when I drive or sit for long periods of time.

If you can live with the size or learn to compromise with it I don’t see how it’s a problem. Just have a good holster.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I do not own a Q5. I am almost exactly your stature. I do carry and conceal my P99 without difficulty. I also like a full size pistol as I have large hands. Admittedly the P99 is a svelte duty size pistol. I kept fondling the P99 C trying to convince myself I needed one. However, I knew I would want the Mag. extension because of my wide hands. I just stayed with the full size version and have no difficulties keeping it concealed.
Good luck with your decision

·
Read Only
147 Posts
Sure it is. People conceal standard 1911s in OWB all the time. The right OWB holster and a jacket or slightly large overshirt or flannel and Bob's yer uncle. The reason I wouldn't carry it is all those cuts in the slide. Just a bunch of places for dirt and lint to accumulate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m sure if you’re willing to dress around the gun you could conceal whatever you wanted, on the basis you know it’s a compromise.

I carry a Jericho 941F with a WML in AIWB. I’m 5’9” and have a belly. I carry it dressed in a black sweater and khakis, or a flannel. Never prints, but it can be awkward when I drive or sit for long periods of time.

If you can live with the size or learn to compromise with it I don’t see how it’s a problem. Just have a good holster.
Wow! OK, thanks so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not own a Q5. I am almost exactly your stature. I do carry and conceal my P99 without difficulty. I also like a full size pistol as I have large hands. Admittedly the P99 is a svelte duty size pistol. I kept fondling the P99 C trying to convince myself I needed one. However, I knew I would want the Mag. extension because of my wide hands. I just stayed with the full size version and have no difficulties keeping it concealed.
Good luck with your decision
Thanks, Different Drummer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure it is. People conceal standard 1911s in OWB all the time. The right OWB holster and a jacket or slightly large overshirt or flannel and Bob's yer uncle. The reason I wouldn't carry it is all those cuts in the slide. Just a bunch of places for dirt and lint to accumulate.
The cuts, ah, yes, something else to think about!

·
Read Only
147 Posts
The cuts, ah, yes, something else to think about!
I have carried my Q5 once or twice just because. Mine has a Vortex Venom on it. I decided I wanted a full size 9mm for carry but I didn't want one with all the slide relief cuts or an optic mounted on it. I almost bought a standard PPQ. In the end I bought a VP9 and a great holster from Muddy River Tactical.

·
Premium Member
8,687 Posts
Concealed carry is a state of mind. Given the proper holster system and attire a Q5 would be easily concealed.

I carry a Q45 concealed OWB under a sport jacket all the time with no issues even in front of LEOs without being tagged.
Carry confidently, don't fiddle with your carry, have a good belt and relax. No one will notice (if they do see a lump tell them it is an insulin pump or if you are feeling ornery a colostomy bag and ask if they want a peek :) ).

Reactions: Rags and 99184

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Concealed carry is a state of mind. Given the proper holster system and attire a Q5 would be easily concealed.

I carry a Q45 concealed OWB under a sport jacket all the time with no issues even in front of LEOs without being tagged.
Carry confidently, don't fiddle with your carry, have a good belt and relax. No one will notice (if they do see a lump tell them it is an insulin pump or if you are feeling ornery a colostomy bag and ask if they want a peek :) ).
Olsul,

State of mind ... very good point. Very good. Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My brother used to carry his Colt Government 1911 in a crotch holster (let's hear the comments). My first concealed carry gun was a full sized Llama 45 in a Bianchi shoulder holster. I later switched to a Colt Commander as soon as I could afford one. People dress more casually now than in the 70s and 80s, so the challenge may be greater, but as long as you don't mind the weight, it can be done.

·
Read Only
147 Posts
My brother used to carry his Colt Government 1911 in a crotch holster (let's hear the comments). My first concealed carry gun was a full sized Llama 45 in a Bianchi shoulder holster. I later switched to a Colt Commander as soon as I could afford one. People dress more casually now than in the 70s and 80s, so the challenge may be greater, but as long as you don't mind the weight, it can be done.

Mine was a Llama Max II 45 C/F 4" double stack ( 13 rd.) I still have it. I can't find OEM mags for it and i'm down to just 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Concealing a full-size hand gun sounds a little crazy, but various You Tube reviewers claim the polymer Q5, even with the long slide, given the not-so-long grip, could be carried. Here's the scenario, I'm 6'4", 230, will be wearing a jacket and tie. In the (admittedly very unlikely) scenario it's ever needed, I would prefer a full-size gun to a compact. I work in a VERY, VERY anti-gun environment. It's crucial the gun be hidden. Is this crazy? Any thoughts? Thanks

Have you considered something like The Air Marshal Kangaroo Carry? Use to carry this way at business functions with Coat and Tie attire. The consideration for me was the very comment made about taking my jacket off. Most important thing for me is to be carrying always. Awareness of surroundings and development situations for advance preparedness is a "state of mind training" and fight or flight is crucial for any kind of carry to keep any element of surprise to its barest minimum. Full size is not an issue with this mode of carry.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Read Only
147 Posts
I think that's a pretty rare gun. Are there any aftermarket mags available? Mec-Gar makes excellent mags, but I dont think they make those, at least not anymore. Try this link. Llama 1911 IX-C, IX-D, Max II L-F .45 acp 14 RD MGK4514AFC [MGK4514AFC] - $24.95 : Greg Cote, LLC

Another option may be to modify a Para Ordnance magazine.

I have several aftermarket 10 rounders I bought years ago. I never use them because some of them cause feeding problems.

I will check out that link. Thank you. :)

·
Read Only
147 Posts
I think that's a pretty rare gun. Are there any aftermarket mags available? Mec-Gar makes excellent mags, but I dont think they make those, at least not anymore. Try this link. Llama 1911 IX-C, IX-D, Max II L-F .45 acp 14 RD MGK4514AFC [MGK4514AFC] - $24.95 : Greg Cote, LLC

Another option may be to modify a Para Ordnance magazine.

It specifically says they fit my gun. I really have no experience with aftermarket mags. I always stock up on OEM mags. Does Mec-Gar make good magazines?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts