Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my third Walther; the first a PPQ .22 cal, and the second a PPQ 45 ACP. I am left handed. Walther has been at the head of the class, until now. The P5 will not accept anything except factory loads. First it rejected my cast bullets (with powder coating, 125 grain RN), then it rejected Hornady 115 HP set at 1.075. The factory loads are no problem. After a Hornaday 115 was stuck in the barrel (the slide would not cycle closed), I quit and returned home from the range to extract the bullet from the barrel. I sized all of these bullets to fit a Wilson 9mm OAL cartridge checker. I checked an empty case in both the Wilson 9MM cartridge checker and in the barrel of the Walther. The empty case fit both nicely. Then I tried the same with the loaded cartridges. They fit also. So I checked the OAL from five reloading books. Sierra came in with 1.050 (deepest set) and Speer came in at 1.125. So, I ran all cartridges through again and set them at 1.050. Good grief. It’s too late to go to the range again today, but I must say, this pistol is a headache. Nearly every cartridge will not fully enter the chamber. Some get “stuck” requiring a takedown. Other’s have to be ejected using some force. So what is it with this pistol? I have been reloading the the Walther PPQ 45 ACP for over a year with no problem, and for multiple calibers for years. Ideas and solutions are welcome. All of these cartridges cycle through my Beretta 92F without a miss. Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I learned from a friend the problem may be the lead is too soft. The problem bullets are made from Lyman #2 and they are powder coated. I told him that a small ring of lead came out of the barrel when I cleaned it; he said that was the problem. Lyman #2 is too soft. When the bullet is chambering the soft lead prevents a clean entry to the chamber. Some may shave off the bullet, and a piece of that may prevent the casing from properly setting against the chamber header. Thus a jam. A jacketed bullet won’t shave any metal off as it chambers, so it should be no problem. My 115 HP jacketed bullet was shot after the Lyman #2 cast lead bullet. It didn’t chamber because of the lead filings in the barrel. I thought the problem was COAL. So, I’m going to cast some 125 grain RN bullets using Linotype, which is much harder than Lyman # 2. I’ll let you know how that works next week. In the meanwhile, I’ll take any other advice you guys have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts