Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but all I found was older threads so I'm starting a new one.

I have been reloading for several years but always loaded the same FMJ 115 gr to 1.150 COL. I shot those in my 1911, M&P, Shield, CZ and now my Q5.

I decided to get "fancy" and try some different projectiles based on how wonderful heavier bullets are talked about on the internet.

I have a bunch of 135 gr coated lead bullets that I bought when I owned my CZ since supposedly they are the cat's meow with that pistol.

Today I was going to work up some test loads to find a load I liked and then I was planning on loading up all 3000 of them getting ready for next season.

For the life of me, I could not get a round to drop all the way into the chamber. Even seating one to below 1" COL wouldn't get me there. (these were w/o primers or powder).

I checked some 115 and 135 factory rounds and the measured 1.150 and 1.135, respectively and they fit fine.

Then I took some 147 gr FMJ that I had and I kinda got one to fit at 1.135 but get this, when I took it down to 1.100 it was worse!

I'm thinking bullet shape is the culprit but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'm thinking that I should just buy a bunch of 115 FMJ's and stick with what worked in the past.

Help is appreciated and I hope all of you are enjoying the holidays!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been shooting 147 gr Berrys through my Q5 for a couple years at 1.135. Only time I have any trouble dropping in chamber (which is seldom) is when a piece of brass sneaks in with a slight bulge at the base. I am loading with 3.6 gr of Win 231 which makes a nice accurate, easy shooting load for USPSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I tried again today and was able to load up rounds with the 135's at 1.105 COL and they dropped right in the chamber.

I made up 8 recipes across 2 powders so I'll see what I like best one day over the holidays.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gregkl,
I'm guessing with the 147s, when you seated them deeper, the base of the bullet went deep enough to engage the case wall where it started thickening, and cause the case to swell about half-way back. Bullets at 135gr or heavier have to have a boat-tail or taper to keep this from happening, and you have to seat out at normal-ish lengths.

I know the craze of shorter rounds started because of JHPs and TC bullet noses, but if you're loading FMJ or cast/coated bullets, you should be out close to 1.160". Bullets and chambers should interact such that there is little to no interference between rifling leade and bullet ogive, at the full, max length of 1.169", but rarely it does happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I ran them today and they did fine. I really couldn't see much accuracy difference between the loads but that was probably due to not being able to lock down the pistol for a consistent test.

But, I put the Q5 up for sale. I'm moving on to other shooting sports than action pistol stuff.

I'll keep my 9 mm 1911 for when I want to occasionally go to a range and shoot some, but I'm going to focus on shotgun sports.

My vision problems are exacerbated with shooting pistols.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts