Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imaoldfart (or anyone else)

Wondering if you can help me, I have the Lone Wolf 9mm comp and my Q4 TAC keeps jamming, FTE, stovetopping, etc. So I tried putting in the green recoil spring and that made matters worst (I have to manually cycle the slide to eject the spent round).

Your advice would be appreciated.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Rusa, a compensator slows down the speed of the slide, which means you need a lighter recoil spring. I'm thinking the green spring is actually heavier than the stock 'silver' spring. So, the green spring would make your situation worse.

You might try a Walther 'red' spring. If that's not light enough, you can pick up a steel guide rod and use some springs from Wilson Combat.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
You might want to call Sprinco, talk to Alan. I'm thinking he'll probably recommend this.

19170 5" Walther PPQ M2 9mm Q5 Match (Includes White Recoil Spring for Minor PF Loads)
$79.95

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I finally got around to calling Walther today and they tell me they don't have a "red" recoil spring?
That's strange.

I've seen brand new 5" PPQ models come with the factory reduced power (red) recoil spring. A lighter recoil spring would the best place to start.

I'd imagine that the weight of the compensator is the cause of the issues. Is it made for a pistol or a carbine? How much does it weigh? Is anyone else using this compensator on a 4" PPQ without issue?

What are you using this pistol for? If this is a defensive pistol, you may want to think about just taking the compensator off, rather than adding other aftermarket parts that may themselves cause issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's strange.

I've seen brand new 5" PPQ models come with the factory reduced power (red) recoil spring. A lighter recoil spring would the best place to start.
Thats what Imaoldfart recommended and why I called support and was suprised when they claimed they did not have any "red" recoil springs.

I'd imagine that the weight of the compensator is the cause of the issues. Is it made for a pistol or a carbine? How much does it weigh? Is anyone else using this compensator on a 4" PPQ without issue?
I saw this same comp on one of Imaoldfart's gun. As for weight, i would have to weight it but since its connected to the barrel and not the slide, what difference would it make?

This is my play gun, aka, target shooting. One day i will get around to doing the dance to get a suppressor for it. In the mean time, I have not been able to sync up w/ Alan @ Sprinco.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Thats what Imaoldfart recommended and why I called support and was suprised when they claimed they did not have any "red" recoil springs.
Maybe that service rep just didn't know. There are pistols that have come out of Walther Arms with that recoil spring installed in them. Call back and hopefully speak to someone else. Ask them for a "reduced power" recoil spring this time, as they may have changed the color. Tell them that you are 100% sure that Walther has sold this recoil spring in the past.

If all that doesn't help, talk to Earl from Earl's Repair Service.

I saw this same comp on one of Imaoldfart's gun. As for weight, i would have to weight it but since its connected to the barrel and not the slide, what difference would it make?
The barrel tilts.

Adding weight to any part of the pistol that reciprocates can have an effect on function.

·
Registered
35 Posts
imaoldfart (or anyone else)

Wondering if you can help me, I have the Lone Wolf 9mm comp and my Q4 TAC keeps jamming, FTE, stovetopping, etc. So I tried putting in the green recoil spring and that made matters worst (I have to manually cycle the slide to eject the spent round).

Your advice would be appreciated.
I have the 4.5" Navy PPQ M2, and the Lone Wolf brake (along with some others).
As others have said, you need a reduced power spring, like the "red" (or orange, as it looks to me..), that is standard on all the 5" PPQ M2's and Q5. The stronger "green" spring is for use with suppressors only. I also had a Q5 Match, so I could switch out the spring/rod assembly to see how it worked first, and that did the trick - for the most part (see next recommendations below). I purchased my "orange/red" Q5 spring and metal guide rod assembly from BT guide rods, to get both the metal rod and spring together.
I would also recommend you fully break in your Q4 with at least 500 rds or more, and run a clean gun and well lubed slide to help with reliable function - too much additional slide friction for whatever reason, and you will likely get inconsistent function even with the reduced power spring. After 2,000+ rds in my Navy, it runs very reliably with super soft recoil from the brake. When I let friends shoot my Walther collection (Q5, Navy, PPQ SC, PPS M2), the Navy/with brake is easily everyone's favorite Walther to shoot - especially women. YRMV

·
Registered
35 Posts

To my understanding and experience, as Balance said, extra weight on the barrel does indeed effect the function/interaction of the slide and spring force needed to bring the additional barrel mass and slide back into battery with proper force/speed/timing. It is a very delicate balance of forces..
Also, the extra venting of gas at the brake vents will reduce backpressure of the gasses that propel the slide. Less gas or lower gas force/velocity coming back, plus more mass to work against, means it will definitely mess up the function/timing of the slide causing FTE if you don't change some other factor in the interaction chain, like the spring.

Btw, too weak a spring, and you'll get "failure to return to battery" issues.. Also, low power vs high power ammo can also cause mis-match problems, so you'll probably find some function issues with some types of ammo, and none with others - I certainly did.

I am also waiting to get a suppressor eventually, but honestly I REALLY enjoy shooting with a brake on my Navy. Once you get yours configured properly, I think you'll enjoy it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.