Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
James,

I understand that this is more of a question of personal preference, and everyone has different opinion.

Given the new P99c has a wider slide and grip girth compared to the old standard P99, which I can't understand why, the question is: do you find this new model comfortable for IWB CCW carry? Should the difference in measurements be a concern in practical carry?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've carried the P99C inside the waistband once and didn't find it uncomfortable or notice anything different. I use a Bianchi Pro100 holster (not the most expensive holster out there
) and it carried fine.

Lately I've been giving preferential treatment to my Kahr PM9, for the hot weather here in Texas, it's so much lighter and flatter.

But as the weather cools, I may switch back to the P99C.

James

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you James. I'm waiting for the QA version to arrive, to match the standard version I carry for years. IMO this compact model does not stand out, when there are competitors like Hk P2000sk, Steyr S9, Kahr P9 etc., they all have their merits of their own. I might consider the P99c mainly because it is the same platform and using the same mags.

Thanks again for your opinion.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
QA compacts have arrived, RSR has some in stock. If you want me to check my local distributor Monday, I can.

Personally, I can't see how the P2000SK can be worth $280 more WHOLESALE than the P99C. Now yes, the Steyr S9 (discontinued), Kahr PM9 (nice pistol, I have one myself), Glock 26 and Springfield XD Compact are priced around the P99C. BUT, the P99C appeals to us Walther lovers because of it's features and handling.

James

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James .... is your e-mail address listed in your website? I'll send you an e-mail about the QA, thanks.

I agree the Hk is overpriced, just like other Hk models. The dimensions of Hk P2000sk do not outshine P99c, and its 2.48" barrel is short. Steyr S9 has the potential parts shortage problem. Kahr P9 has the great size, yet its inconsistent quality from what I'd come across makes me hesitant. The good old G26 and Spfd XD Compact are ruled out due to aesthetic reason
in fact they don't fit well in my hand. All in all, I'll still give the P99c the first pick.

But really, in terms of CCW, instead of making it slimmer/thinner as a compact model, the new P99c is fatter in both slide and grip, which I don't understand ....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Airfix,

One reason that Walther may have thickened the slide and frame on the P99C is due to amount of metal eliminated from the slide when shortened. More mass may have been added to overcome high slide cycle speed. The frame may have needed to be thickened for proportional appearance and / or strength.

If you look at the full size .40 versus the 9mm, you'll note that the 9mm has lightening scallops at the front of the slide. The .40 doesn't since it needs more mass to cycle correctly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just to clear up any confusion, the P99 Compact is about 2mm wider in the frame, compared to pre-2004 P99s. The slide is the same width. And, the 2mm additional width starts just forward of the trigger going back. when handling it, I cannot sense the additional width in the frame.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both for the additional information and clarification.
After carrying the 2000 QA for years, when handling the new compact, the minimal additional width does become obvious to me, I could be too sensitive.
Since Walther followed the steps like Glock by simply chopping the slide and grip to create the compact model (instead of proportionally reduce the overall size, perhaps due to extensive work involved and financial reasons), by all means this is not for argument, I notice the G26 at least maintains the same width as the G19/G17.
Don't get it wrong, Walther is still my favourite choice among others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts