Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum but am glad I found it. I have an opportunity to buy a 1997 P99 9mm, NIB with all documentation, extras, etc. It was imported by Interarms so I believe it must be completely German made.

I would be buying it from a FFL dealer - he wants $559.
I was wondering about warranty issues, etc.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts and comments on this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
All P99's are still German made (look for the Eagle over N mark) and can be purchased new for less.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hi, if this is one of the original Interarms it's very nice, I still have mine. Keep in mind, that it may have the original split trigger, if so, it is prone to the reassembly anomoly where you have to slightly pull the trigger to get the slide to catch on the catch lever.

Have you seen it? If it doesn't have the split trigger, it's better.

As for price, well, you could probably do better with a current production unit that has the S&W import markings on it (probably save about $50), but hey, $559 is not bad. If you are patient, you might be able to get one for 50-75 less. There should be no warranty issues whatsoever. If it is bought new from a dealer, it should be warranted for one year from date of purchase. Shouldn't make a difference that it was made in 97.

Plus, generally Walther stands behind their product. Of course, you should have no problems at all with a 9mm P99.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unless you know something I don't, I'd buy a brand new one ('AC' date code).  If you look around, you should be able to find one for $450 to $475... I wouldn't pay any more than that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments - they're very helpful.

So, are all P99's completely made in Germany - regardless of the caliber? I was told by a dealer that some parts were made in Germany (those with the Eagle over the N), shipped
to S&W who made the rest and assembled it. But I wasn't convinced that person knew what he was talking about because he really wanted me to buy a Glock.

I was also wondering - is quality an issue with newer vs. older models?

I haven't seen the gun yet (2 hr drive) and don't know if its one of the original Interarms. Would knowing the serial number help? The dealer says he purchased it Feb 1997. I also don't know about the split trigger or what it is. It sounds like it might be a pain or just something you get used to.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Rick, you should look at our FAQ

http://www.lenaburgs.net/james/Guns/Walther_FAQ/Triggers/52/52.htm
http://www.lenaburgs.net/james/Guns/Walther_FAQ/General/5/5.htm

All 9mm P99s have been and are made in Germany. There were about 3000-4000 Swalthers that were made in .40 ONLY in 2000. They are easily identified by the lack of the German proof marks outlined in FAQ link above.

As for quality, I personally think the early ones are better quality as far as finish, machining marks, etc.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Extremist,
I looked at the FAQ on the trigger and can't really see the difference. Would you purchase this gun (forgetting about the price) because you believe the older models to be better quality or not buy it if it had a split trigger?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rick: I just purchased a local 97 P99 9mm a few months ago, slightly used for $540. It has the split trigger. I've put almost 1000 rounds through it with no malfuntions. I could have saved a few bucks but had the bug. Adding shipping and FFL fees offset most of the online deals I've seen. In WA if you have a carry permit the is no waiting period and I really wanted to go shooting! Later, -d

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Look at the trigger area where it interfaces with the frame, there is a gap there. On the current triggers, they are one piece.

Yes, I would buy it regardless of the split trigger or not, because I like the older ones with INTERARMS import markings, but I'd try and talk him down to $500

James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is great information.

I just spoke to the dealer - it doesn't have a split trigger.
The serial number is 1677 and he'll take $550 for it.

I see them on docswalthers for $500.
So, by the time I pay shipping, insurance plus FFL the fee on it, I think I may as well get this one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rick:  I suspect it does have the split trigger or its not NIB (i.e. the split trigger was replaced at some point).  The first ~6000 made had the split trigger (a safety feature).  My gun is 51XX and has it.  I would be very suprised if yours doesn't.   The safey feature is that the tigger rotates slightly before it can be pulled back.  If you attempt to pull high on the trigger (next to the gun frame) it won't rotate and unlock.  -d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts