Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my P99 for around one and a half years. I find it accurate and easy to shoot. From day one I have had to move the sight very far to the right to get my shots centered. For the last several years I do not have opportunity to shoot much, maybe three times a year. However, I read as much as I can and practice dry firing.
The last time I went out I decided to change my grip and see if that would help. It help a great deal. Now I am wondering if I put the wrong backstrap on to begin with (I first used the smallest one). I chose the smallest backstrap since it gave the most natural grip. However, I may have too much finger on the trigger. Is there some general "rule of thumb" concerning finger placement? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find that when using the medium grip I also shot off to the left. I have very large hands, and switching to the large grip helped some. Practice with the way I pull the trigger got me the rest of the way there. I get my best results with the trigger centered 2/3 of the way down my index finger tip. Right underneath the growth end of the nail. And I practice pulling my finger straight back by bending it at the second knuckle. Try variations on this theme, until you're shooting accurately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have relatively small hands.  The P99 is most comfortable to me when I use the small backstrap.  However when I draw my weapon it is always pointed to the left slightly.  In the sight picture the front post is touching the inside left of the rear notch.

When I use the medium backstrap I draw and point the pistol naturally to the center.  It feels a little too big, but being able to point the weapon straight ahead without extra thinking is more important to me. I think this has to do with how the heel of the grip seats into the palm differently with the larger backstrap.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Personally I like the medium backstrap, but I shot more accurately with the big backstrap. Go figure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ April 07 2004,10:42)]Personally I like the medium backstrap, but I shot more accurately with the big backstrap. Go figure.
I have a friend who had a similar issue with a revolver iirc, couldn't hit crap till he increased the size of the grip. Once it was huge he could hit anything he pointed it at.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback. It is nice to know that with practice and changing the backstrap there is hope for me shooting this pistol the way I would like. Thanks for giving me concrete examples and not just telling me to practice more.
This has been the only pistol that I have had this problem. The others, (BHP, G30, 1911, Sigs and revolvers did not cause me to work hard to hit centered. As strange as it sounds, the handgrip may fit my hand too well and I forget that there is still a proper technique to be used. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts