Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Member here has PM'd me regarding what I might know about the proper ammo for his pistol. I don't have one but I was thinking 9x18 Ultra is what was required. He said he has tried everything he can get his hands on and the rounds won't go into the chamber. The pistol looks good, Ulm version, but the way this site now works seems problematic. One time I can see a PM, then the whole chain of discussion is gone. Then at some time later it might be back. Perhaps someone changed the barrel?????

Anyway was thinking a Makarov used a different ammo vs the Walther PP Super.. I know some of you have the pistols...what do they run for ammo? 1917

1975 pistol. Owner says 9 x 18 Ultra will not fit into the chamber. Wonder if someone changed the barrel due to difficulty in finding this ammo????? What might they have used? .380, .32.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Doubtful the barrel was changed, but guess that it is possible. A 9 Makarov barrel swap seems highly unlikely. Any current-production Fiocchi or vintage Fiocchi, Geco, or Herters ammo should work perfectly. Likewise, Reeds is currently making some 9x18 Ultra (aka, 9mm Police) in several bullet styles, including JHP. The standard bullets are jacketed truncated cones. The 9x18 pistols can reliably cycle .380, including JHP in my experience. Seems easy enough for him to measure the bore to see if it is a true 9mm barrel or not. Never heard of anything smaller than a .380 barrel, but maybe somebody found a way to bubba in something smaller. There is always the option to take it to a gunsmith for dimensioning measurements. Lots of that dimension info for 9x18 Ultra is available in recent posts on the WF.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, you are correct, 9mm Mak and 9mm Ultra are not the same round. Have to have a gunsmith check it out to know for certain, but whatever your friend said, he has not yet done that. Of course, finding much of anything 9mm is tough. I would just avoid putting anything that fits down range until checked for certain because of pressures, deformation, etc. Safety and all.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is what I understand. The Russians didn't want their ammunition to be able to be used against them if captured. I don't know this Member and am not sure why he hasn't started a thread so more questions can be answered. I've provided what little I know. I don't think this is a very recent problem. From what I gather he has never been able to find any ammo that will physically fit into the chamber. So, I guess a trip to a gunsmith is in order. I live near a large city so there are gunsmiths around. At my farm....there isn't anyone around and certainly no nearby gunsmiths. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Owner says 9 x 18 Ultra will not fit into the chamber. Wonder if someone changed the barrel due to difficulty in finding this ammo?????
I've got a Walther PP Super in 9x18 and several Makarovs. The 9x18 Makarov is closer to 9.3mm. I don't think even a custom barrel would fit in that slide.

Is the owner in possession of factory loaded 9x18 Ultra ? It sounds like he's confusing the two cartridges. I've got some Fiocchi I could send you for him to try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also believe the owner might be trying 9x18 "Makarov" instead of 9x18 "Ultra". Projectiles for 9x17, 9x18 Ultra, and 9x19mm "Parabellum" or NATO are all 0.355" in diameter, while the projectile for the 9x18mm "Makarov" is 0.365".

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a Walther PP Super in 9x18 and several Makarovs. The 9x18 Makarov is closer to 9.3mm. I don't think even a custom barrel would fit in that slide.

Is the owner in possession of factory loaded 9x18 Ultra ? It sounds like he's confusing the two cartridges. I've got some Fiocchi I could send you for him to try.
Thanks Redcat, but no. He needs to get involved to further this discussion. He says he has purchased 9x18 Ultra and it doesn't fit. No posts here but is going back and forth at PM....I suggested he check into this thread and answer questions. If there isn't something obvious that you guys might know then that is as far as I have time to take it on his behalf. 1917

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Just don’t see the likelihood of a barrel swap being the cause. Perhaps somebody pulled a fast one and sold 9 Mak in a vintage Ultra box. Easy enough to get verifiable 9 Ultra/9 Police and/or a cheap micrometer.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Try the obvious; will a .380 round drop in the chamber?
Moon

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His last reply indicated that .380 will drop in and fire but the brass bulges. So he didn't fire much of that. It sounds like he has purchased a number of brands of ammo based on what people have recommended for the pistol but none of it fits. 9x18 Ultra was one of them he stated. He needs to open a thread of join this one so he can answer specific questions. I'm not sure where to go with it if the recommended ammo won't fit into the chamber and he doesn't see any damage to the chamber. I was hoping there was a simple answer to this that some of you with the pistol might know. 1917

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
The bulging brass for a .380 that cycles sounds correct for a 9x18. If a true Ultra/Police round doesn’t chamber, it needs to go to a gunsmith to figure out what is going on.

Reactions: 1917-1911M

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If it is chambered for 9x18 Ultra and doesn't chamber it, might need a trip to the smith for a ream job or to clear up the chamber. Just a side thought, don't expect this theory to hold much weight, but let's say for theory that he did purchase the correct ammo, but..... if the Ultra round was ever offered in steel case, that stuff sometimes has a nasty lacquer on it that gets tacky and sticks to the chamber walls. Any chance this could be the culprit, if as you say, .380 chambers and fires but the brass case bulges.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm still thinking he got Makarov and Ultra confused. A photo of the cartridge headstamp of the 9x18 he was trying to use would clarify it. Given the rarity of Ultra ammunition, you'd have to go out of your way to find it while the Makarov is pretty common.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Here is a pic of two head stamps that I took some years back for some vintage 9x18 Ultra/9 mm Police ammo. (G.F.L. is some vintage Fiocchi, the only current maker of 9x18 Ultra.)
P2080057.JPG

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'll take a wild guess and say that the ammo was 9x18M.

Fwiw, Hirtenberg (the civilian division - as opposed to Hirtenberger, the gov. division) came up in the late 70s with what they called 9mm Super. A variant of 9x18 Ultra/Police. If somebody can refine the photo below, many eyes will probably appreciate it.

9mm Super.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts