Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these mags in 40cal. Do they work well, do they look good in the gun with the base p[late they have on them???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do not know for certain regarding the 40 cal, but the three mags I had that were represented to me to be ProMags in 9mm were absolute garbage. I could not in good conscience sell them; one I gave away, the other two I threw in the trash which is where such things belong. Purchased them from junk peddler on Gunbroker. I would recommend not even inserting such poor qulaity items into a fine pistol like a Walther P99, just makes no sense to me. Workmanship on the ones I purchased were poor and the company evidently does not even put their name on the product, at least the ones I had. At least Meg Gar puts their name on their mags, so if you have a problem, you know who made them. The base plate on the 9mm is larger than the factory mag and does look different, whether or not it looks bad is probably subjective decision, but it is defintely obviously different from the factory mag baseplate. I highly recommend staying with factory mags, even if there were problems with some of the 40 cal baseplates, still far safer to deal with S&W/Wather and Meg Gar than some company that will not even put their name on their product. My thoughts, I am only one person, maybe others had opposite experience they can share with you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the warning, to bad Meg_GAR doesnt make mags for the P99, ill just keep on priceing factory mags. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to do serious dremeling to get mine to work and also mod the tang that holds the floorplate on,but its fine but not combat trustworthy

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ronnie151 @ Aug. 06 2005,20:26)]...to bad Meg_GAR doesnt make mags for the P99, ill just keep on priceing factory mags. Thanks
Mec-Gar DOES make the mags for the P99!

They make them OEM for Walther.  You can see it stamped on the side of a factory mag.  Look and see!  Stick with the factory mags and you'll do fine.  The only problem I've had with mine were the baseplates, and WaltherAmerica took care of me.

-stunks

·
Registered
130 Posts
ProMag = Pure Unadulterated Garbage.

The ONLY use I can see for them is to use when training a new shooter how to manage stoppage drills. I have some that were given to me when I bought a SIG P229 and that's what I use them for. The baseplates have red reflective tape on them to identify them.

Please stick to factory or high quality aftermarket magazines for self defense uses.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ronnie151, as I suspected, there are not many good experiences out there with Promags. MeG Gar makes the original equipment mags that come with the Walther and they, MeG Gar, have had an excellent reputation for many years for providing high quality magazines. The ProMags have been considered trash by everyone I have run into that has used them. My thinking is that I am not comfortable placing a trash magazine into either a good pistol or a not so good one  as the issues of concern involve not only potential for malfunctions and damage to the pistol, but I believe there is a also a safety concern as well. I do not know if anyone has ever been injured as a result of using one of those garbage ProMags but after hearing so many negative reviews about them over the years, it would not surprise me to find out that there have been injuries. I would advise everyone to avoid the ProMags and not to patronize those rip-off artists on Gunbroker.com that peddle the garbage magazines. I know they say they are "guaranteed" but what good is a trash magazine that malfunctions and / or damages your pistol if it is only replaced with the same junk. And by the way, one of those junk peddlers on Gunbroker would NOT honor his guarantee when I advised him I thought the mag was junk, when I returned the mag, he kept the magazine AND my money.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I started using the ProMags when my OEM (Mec-Gar) ones were tossing floorplates as fast as I could replace them. The Promags had problems with slide lock, and they didn't fit the countour of the gun at the baseplate as well, but other than that I have no problems with them. I use them at the range, but now that Mec-Gar has fixed their baseplate issue, I use OEM for carry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a couple of Pro-Mags in 9mm, that while not garbage are not treasure either. They are supposed to be 15 rnd mags, but one holds 13 and the other holds 14. I have had numerous stoppage problems with them as well. I will occaisonally use them as range mags, but for the most part I don't use them. I prefer my Walther/Mec-Gar 10 rounders.
I would never even consider them for carry mags.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good no promags for me, i bought a couple of the factory 12 rounders, they should be ok. next ill have to check into a speedloader any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Those Lula's are quite nice.

I have one for pistol mags (all common ammo) and a tiny one for my baby .22 mags.

I agree you can thumb them in, or use the speedloaders provided, but the Lula's really cut down on your time.

Just reiterating what searcher said, go into it knowing you are not getting a known, high quality mag

1 - 14 of 14 Posts