Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made it to the range with my new P99. I have the original two factory mags, and there are two new highcaps on their way from Walther, but I decided to get a couple of Promags to hold me over. I am beginning to think this was a bad idea.

I put about 400 rounds downrange - the P99 was flawless, but there is definitely a problem with the promags. The gun will not go to slidelock with the promags, but works perfectly fine with the factory mags, so I am certain that the problem is with the mags and not the firearm.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get these to work properly? Has anyone had any luck sending them back to promag under their lifetime warranty and getting functional mags back, or should I just chalk this one up to experience?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Promags are basicly just for range use, other than that sell them off and stick with the Walther/Mecgar mags. I speak from personal experience.

Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
If Promag has a lifetime warranty then by all means use it. The problem you describe is the same thing that happens to SIG pistols when the mag spring doesn't put enough pressure under the front of the follower preventing the notch from engaging the slide lock. Try bending the front of the mag spring up to put more pressure on the follower. Or if you want you can send me one and I'll check it out and see what I can do. I'll
send it back of course.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased several Promags last year and found them to be just absolute junk; unfortunately there is just no nice way to describe them or sugar coat the issue, they are junk! I gave some away and threw in the garbage others as I even felt guilty about giving them away free and worrying about someone placing a Promag junk magazine in a high quality firearm.
Throw the Promags away and chalk it up as a learning experience. Very often Guarantees/Warrantees limit the companies responsibility, such as damage caused by use of their product, so not worth risk of using a poor quality product, and not even worth trying to get them to make good on it, as not likely you would ever get Promag to cover any damage their mags might cause to your Walther. QUALITY is the reason that Walthers come with MecGar rather than Promags as original equipment. Stick with quality mags and enjoy your P99.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't mind being the dissenting opinion

Promags are nothing special, not even all that good, but really, a magazine is just a bit of folded sheetmetal, a spring, and a pair of plastic parts. Hardly a precision instrument.

Yes, Promags often fail to lock back the slide. That's not so good, but my original and oem replacement Mec-Gars busted open at the floorplate and spewed rounds and parts about. A much bigger problem. Walther replaced my defective floorplates with more of the same (they broke too.) I would personally feel much more comfortable carrying Promags.

Do a bit of research. Look up "cracks and P99". Seems to be mostly with the .40 cal OEM mags (Meg-Gars). Best of luck.

MLB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue for me is not carry, since I live in a state where it is illegal to do so
- it is competition - and if I have a mag cause my gun to fail to go to slidelock on a stage where it is required, or if I have to take the time to count shots or pull the trigger an extra time before realizing that I am out before reloading, it is going to cost me major time penalties. Being able to reload in 4 seconds or less is no good if I loose seconds just having to figure out my firearm is empty, counting, or have 5 seconds added to my time because I failed to go to slidelock when it was called for.

I'll try the suggestion above as far as adjusting the spring to see if that helps, but I am leaning towards tossing the powermags and sticking with the Mec Gars - I'm shooting a 9mm - so if the problem with those is in the .40's it shouldn't affect me. I'll definitely be giving Promag a call though about their defective merchandise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine was for a Sig P220 .45, single stack, about as simple a mag you can get. Left it fully loaded for a month laying in a drawer, after that short time the feed lips had spread out enough to make the mag almost unusable. The heat treat in this critical area was not up to par at all. They might make an ok range mag, don't leave it around loaded. I'm not the only one with this opinion, every manufaturer has a glitch at one time or another. But the vast majority of opinion of pluses for Mecgar/Walther far out weigh the very few pluses I have seen for Promag.

My $.01 worth,

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought 4 of them a couple of years back. I still don't have any problem with them, and they keep the wear and tear off of my factory mags. I to shoot IDPA, and so I'd rather drop a promag than my others. Of course I'm not as paranoid about my 16 rounders now that the ban is sunset

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got back from the range, finally got a chance to run a couple hundred rounds through my new 9mm P99 QA, and it was flawless. What a great gun. One tiny problem though: The damn Promags didn't lock the slide back about 50% of the time.

I noticed when they arrived last week that their springs were horribly weak compared to the OEM mags, and I wondered if that was going to present a problem. Now reading your post bspring, about how your feed lips had seperated, I'm wondering if that's the reason Promag uses the low weight springs...

I'm going to disassemble a couple of mine and see if I can increase the spring bend, otherwise all the springs will have to be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts