Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I hate to say anything negative about the Walther p99, I do have a problem with the magazines for it. The floor plates on both of my .40 magazines have started cracking. These are the replacement mags that S&W sent me for my originals with the orange followers. They are only 2 months old. Anyone else experience this problem? I would hate to switch to promags, but if they stay together I might have to.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Call S&W back. I've heard of others having this problem and I have seen one baseplate firsthand that completely broke apart and dumped ammo out on the floor after a guy loaded it up and inserted it into the gun.

It appears that there were a batch of bad floor plates made, wether it is Walther's fault or Mec-Gar's fault remains to be seen. I would assume it was a supplier of Mec-Gar.

You should be able to get them replaced from S&W.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mine were bad too. Original set cracked, replacement set exploded at the range with a low round count. I'm on my third set now, marked S&W (for the SW99). These have about 300 rounds through them now. I still don't trust them. I use Promags when I carry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I called S&W and they are going to send me some replacements, but I think I'll get a couple of promags just in case.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did they happen to say if this was a big problem or if a bad batch came through? All of my P99's haven't had this problem, but my P99's are older also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
this is due to a bad batch. call s&w to get new ones. i had 6 break on me yesterday! according to s&w this was a mec gar casting problem.

tell me more about this swapping old mags (orange follower) with new ones (light blue). i have 2 w/orange followers... no problems yet, just curious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone,
I purchased a new .40 S&W P99 on May 6, 2004. After 175 rounds of Winchester 180grn FMJ my 1st clip failed with 3 bullets falling out of the handle and the spring and followers flying everywhere. On June 7th my last clip also failed and 2 rounds fell out and like the 1st clip the butt plate was broken and cracked on both sides. My shooting partner who has a new P99 AS let me borrow one of his clips and after 30 more rounds his clip failed. What the heck is going on with these magazines? My gun store sent my gun and 2 broken clips back to S&W up in Mass for it to be checked out. I sent Walther America an e-mail expressing my displeasure with that piece and my concerns for getting a new 2004 model. If anyone on this board recieved new magazines would you please let me know how they are holding up. Thanks Harry Arthur

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S&W didn't comment on what the problem was to me, but they were very nice about it and said they would send me some replacements.
I sent in the ones with the orange followers for the blue one because they were causing the slide to lock back with rounds still in the magazine. It has to do with the design of the earlier magazines. From what I heard this has been a problem for alot of people. If you do have this problem just call S&W and they will send you some new ones. I just hope you'll have better luck with the floor plates than I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts