Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem with PPQ Disconnector?

Hi All,

I'm new to the Walther forum, just got my first Walther recently, a 5" PPQ M2. It's new to me but I'm the second owner, since buying used from FTF transaction is the only way non LEO can get em in Ca. It is like new, has no wear or even powder residue.

While doing function checks, I've found that the disconnector doesn't work. A trigger pull will drop the striker even if I hold the slide out of battery. It even drops the striker if I hold the slide to the point where the striker just begins to engage the sear.

Has this issue come up before? Can it be fixed at home, I'm relatively good with tools? Even if I need to send it to the factory, what could be causing this problem? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It even drops the striker if I hold the slide to the point where the striker just begins to engage the sear.
This is normal.

The PPQ will not fire out of battery. The firing pin block would stop the striker from impacting the chambered round if there was a failure to return to battery malfunction, and the trigger was pulled, and if the slide is so far back that the striker is barely pushing on the sear, then the striker wouldn't have enough travel or momentum to set off the chambered round anyway, even if the firing pin block didn't do its job.

Has this issue come up before?
I have never heard of any P99 or PPQ pistol that has fired out of battery. That being said, this is a used pistol, and people like to play "home gunsmith" a lot lately. Maybe you should get it checked out by a gunsmith anyway, if just to ease your mind.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is this the hidden decock mode on the PPQ that should never ever be tried with a live round?

I do it all the time on my P99 at home (empty chamber, empty gun) if I dont want my striker to slam into the FPB..

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Is this the hidden decock mode on the PPQ that should never ever be tried with a live round?
Yes, and I strongly suggest that people do not try this out.

I do it all the time on my P99 at home (empty chamber, empty gun) if I dont want my striker to slam into the FPB..
It doesn't slam into the FPB. On the P99, when decocking the pistol by pushing the decocker button into the slide, the striker slams into the decocker button itself. The FPB should never come in contact with the striker, ever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
This is normal. ...
Thanks for your help. I did a search on ppq hidden decock and found a thread on the topic:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/21445-de-cocking-ppq.html

The significant difference between the gun in that thread vs mine is his striker will only decock at the point when striker meets sear (properly functioning disconnector) but mine drops striker at any point between that (~.5") and full battery (no disconnector function). I tried the pencil test with the slide held back at several distances and found the striker will strike the pencil when the slide is held rearward around 0-.1" which means the FPB, while helpful in tandem with the disconnector, will not prevent an out of battery discharge with this gun.

Please would someone try depressing the trigger on your PPQ (with snap caps or empty chamber please) when holding the slide back at various points in between half an inch out of battery to just a hair out of battery, and let me know if the striker falls? Thanks for your trouble.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for your help. I did a search on ppq hidden decock and found a thread on the topic:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/21445-de-cocking-ppq.html

The significant difference between the gun in that thread vs mine is his striker will only decock at the point when striker meets sear (properly functioning disconnector) but mine drops striker at any point between that (~.5") and full battery (no disconnector function). I tried the pencil test with the slide held back at several distances and found the striker will strike the pencil when the slide is held rearward around 0-.1" which means the FPB, while helpful in tandem with the disconnector, will not prevent an out of battery discharge with this gun.

Please would someone try depressing the trigger on your PPQ (with snap caps or empty chamber please) when holding the slide back at various points in between half an inch out of battery to just a hair out of battery, and let me know if the striker falls? Thanks for your trouble.
I've had my PPQ not come fully into battery and the gun not fire because I didn't notice it during a string at the range. As I recall, the striker did not even fire and it was about 2mm out of battery.

However, on my Glock 21, the top two rounds on a full 10-rd magazine (limited in my state) are so tight that they don't always strip cleanly and the slide doesn't come fully back into battery, leaving it about 2mm out...also pretty unnoticeable from the back (have since fixed this with the mags). That striker does fire at that point, but it light-strikes the primer a bit off center and doesn't ignite it. You could tell by etc dimple on the unfired primer. But seat that bullet again with a fully-forward slide and it fires fine.

I'll take a look later tonight with my PPQ and a snap-cap, but I've noticed the the recoil spring tension is on the weak side when fully closed, compared to other pistols I have....or at least it can out of battery easier.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There is a short distance that the slide moves to the rear that the barrel is still locked to the slide and thus, is NOT out of battery. Beyond that, the striker block comes into play

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give you 50 bucks for that 'unsafe' pistol. I'll even throw in an extra $35 for shipping.
I know you're joking, but in CA, *used* off roster pistols go for 2x msrp, this one was a slightly better deal at 1.5x msrp, but it took me a year of diligent bloodhounding to find a guy willing to sell it for so little $$. Unless, of course you are LEO, in which case you can buy at "free state" prices of ~0.7x msrp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a short distance that the slide moves to the rear that the barrel is still locked to the slide and thus, is NOT out of battery. Beyond that, the striker block comes into play
I'll try some more testing in a bit, but IIRC, the barrel has dropped downward at .1" rearward slide travel (thus out of battery), but the pencil is struck by striker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I'll double my offer.....I'll give you $100 for that old thing....sounds like its a dud anyway. I love a challenge. The real challenge would be being able to buy enough ammo to keep it happy.
Lol! If you're a non LEO, come out to a CA gun shop some time and look at the guns available to us "on the roster". They're all pre2000 tech with no LCI or mid 2000 tech with disgustingly huge "capable of firing when up" type loaded chamber indicators. Since the PPQ is off roster, they are exceedingly rare here. I wouldn't let this PPQ go for less than $1.2K, and I've seen them go for more.

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
tophat, I believe your pistol is perfectly fine....I really do. Have you shot it yet?

Oh, and I just realized, you probably have 10 round mags, and for that reason, I'd have to lower my offer. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll try some more testing in a bit, but IIRC, the barrel has dropped downward at .1" rearward slide travel (thus out of battery), but the pencil is struck by striker.
A bit further... most pistols can fire with the slight "slightly" back from fully forward, but in locked breech autoloaders, the slide and barrel are still locked, although technically not fulling "in battery".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well gentlemen, as the FNG, I'm entitled to one overreaction/learning moment, but I know when to eat crow also.:p

Did some more testing and searching on the forums and now come to believe what I thought was a problem is merely a quirk of the platform. Also, I've come to the conclusion that my thread, Mistwolf's hidden decock thread, and

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/40464-out-battery-issues-summary.html

are all related. Here's what I've found:

1) Slide held back .5" rearward from full battery, barrel is fully dropped down (unsafe), striker just meets sear, striker spring uncompressed, when trigger is pulled, the striker doesn't do anything but the gun can go forward into battery decocked.

2) Slide held back anywhere from .1" to .5", barrel is dropped down (unsafe), striker is partially cocked, when trigger is pulled, "click" as the slide moves forward, the Striker Block (SB) prevents striker from hitting pencil (or primer). This is probably what caused the out of battery, dead trigger issues in the third thread above.

3) Slide held back from 0 to .1", barrel is fully up (safe), striker is fully or almost fully cocked, when trigger is pulled, "click" as the slide moves forward, the SB is out of the way, the striker hits the pencil (primer).

Bottom line, it's a quirk of the design but not a problem. If you have a random click and dead trigger, it's most likely something kept the slide from closing similar to 1) or 2) above. Re-rack and you're GTG. FWIW, most other designs' disconnectors work even if the slide is back .1" to .5", meaning if you have an out of battery jam, even if you've mistakenly pulled the trigger, the primer won't ignite and the striker remains cocked, you can shove the slide into battery and fire. However, with the PPQ, if the same happens and you pull the trigger, "click", dead trigger, you MUST rerack to recock striker. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind for self defense situations.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/40464-out-battery-issues-summary.html

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
See......it never was a problem. Load that puppy and go shoot it.

Now, just to be clear. If for some reason your PPQ goes 'click' and 'no bang'....and I won't go into why....but YES, the striker needs to be recocked. Resetting the trigger/cocking the striker does NOT require a FULL rack of the slide. You can move the slide to the rear about 5/16 to maybe 3/8 an inch and you'll hear a faint 'click'.....that's the sear popping up in front of the striker. Now you've still got the original round in the chamber and you've just recocked the striker. You're good to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts